Anyone in PA, York/Harrisburg/Lancaster area?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BioHazard_*

Guest_BioHazard_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

I just recently moved to the area after graduating. I have a degree in biology, that due to the economy, is not being used. I am just looking to meet some cool people, maybe join a local group, and make some friends. I love setting minnow traps just to see what I can catch, seining little streams, and netting for inverts. All while taking photos, of course! Anyone around this area?

#2 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

I am over here just west of Lancaster.

Welcome to Nanfa!

#3 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

I'm from NJ but as one Pennsylvania member can testify I'm willing to drive for a good trip.I also know some very good sampling spots on the Delaware River.

#4 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

Welcome - show us some pics of what ou catch.

Usil

#5 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:49 PM

I'm from NJ but as one Pennsylvania member can testify I'm willing to drive for a good trip.I also know some very good sampling spots on the Delaware River.

That's right, I can atest to davids claims. Im from allentown PA 18103. He came up for a few hours of sampling in my area. Had a blast. Welcome to the forum.

#6 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

Yeah I wouldn't mind another trip Scott I have a new cell phone lol.

#7 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

Yeah I wouldn't mind another trip Scott I have a new cell phone lol.

Now that my deer season has started. I'll be in the woods till january or till I'm tagged out. I look forward to spring.

#8 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

Now that my deer season has started. I'll be in the woods till january or till I'm tagged out. I look forward to spring.

Dave & Scott? Know any places where we could get redfin pickerels?

Dean

#9 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:19 PM

Not a reliable spot no. I know of one water system where I saw them many years ago but since I haven't been looking for them I don't know if they are still there. A small lake where I remember seeing one a long long time ago would be an ideal spot to sample since it is very weedy and shallow.The downside is that it is in central NJ closer to the ocean then the PA border. Google Spotswood NJ to get an idea. Water from that lake flows into a small river that flows into a larger lake. I saw another one in the river which makes them the only 2 Redfins that I have ever seen that I can positively id as Redfins

#10 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

They were on the species list for one of the streams here but I've never seen one in person yet.

#11 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

I just recently moved to the area after graduating. I have a degree in biology, that due to the economy, is not being used. I am just looking to meet some cool people, maybe join a local group, and make some friends. I love setting minnow traps just to see what I can catch, seining little streams, and netting for inverts. All while taking photos, of course! Anyone around this area?

I wish that I could help you out, but I just moved from the area. I would suggest Spring Valley County Park. The water there is usually quite clear, though I would think the quality has been impacted with all the rain lately.

Harry Knaub

#12 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:47 PM

ill be in Lancaster tomorrow through Monday.

#13 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:12 AM

Too bad Lancaster is so far from NJ otherwise I'd suggest a trip to the Delaware river for some sampling

#14 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

ill be in Lancaster tomorrow through Monday.

Both of you should attend the Aquarium Club of Lancaster County meeting at That Fish Place on Centerville Road. I'm sure that someone there could direct you to some local collecting spots.

My link

#15 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

You moved Harry?! Well, you did tell me at the convention that you intended to do so. Good luck in your new digs. Are you anywhere near Charleson? My brother lives there.

#16 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

You moved Harry?! Well, you did tell me at the convention that you intended to do so. Good luck in your new digs. Are you anywhere near Charleson? My brother lives there.

Ed,
I have been back in PA all this week, but I didn't break out the laptop since I got here. But yeah, I'm about one and a half hours from Charleston when I'm down in SC.

Harry

#17 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

Ed,
I have been back in PA all this week, but I didn't break out the laptop since I got here. But yeah, I'm about one and a half hours from Charleston when I'm down in SC.

Harry

Harry, send me e-mail. How is your time divided between SC and PA? It would be cool if we could get together for some collecting soon.

#18 bsburns

bsburns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northeast Pennsylvania

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

I know that this is an old thread, but I'm from the Wilkes-Barre PA area and looking for some local groups

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users