evergladei/zonatum crossbreed?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

I am thinking of turning my Amazon biotope into a community tank for small swamp dwelling fish. Once again I added a trio of seemingly healthy cardinal tetras from my lfs without quarantining them and boom! most of my fish died off from some parasite in a matter of about two days. This has happened a few times. Guess I'll never learn.
Anyway I was thinking of putting a mix of evergladei and zonatum in this community tank but am worried they will crossbreed.
Appreciate any knowledge on the subject.

#2 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

I am thinking of turning my Amazon biotope into a community tank for small swamp dwelling fish. Once again I added a trio of seemingly healthy cardinal tetras from my lfs without quarantining them and boom! most of my fish died off from some parasite in a matter of about two days. This has happened a few times. Guess I'll never learn.
Anyway I was thinking of putting a mix of evergladei and zonatum in this community tank but am worried they will crossbreed.
Appreciate any knowledge on the subject.

How big is your tank? E. zonatum are considerably larger and more robust then evergladei they may not do well together in a small tank. Least killifish and Pygmy killifish may be better match with evergladei.

#3 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

How big is your tank? E. zonatum are considerably larger and more robust then evergladei they may not do well together in a small tank. Least killifish and Pygmy killifish may be better match with evergladei.

The tank is 55G. I do keep my zonatum with L omatta and swamp darters, evergladei I keep in species only tank. Would still keep seperate colonies, but add some to this community/show tank.

#4 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

The tank is 55G. I do keep my zonatum with L omatta and swamp darters, evergladei I keep in species only tank. Would still keep seperate colonies, but add some to this community/show tank.

If well planted probably okay.

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

Use tall or floating bushy fine-leaved plants, like Myriophyllum, Ceratophyllum, Cabomba, Utricularia, Najas, Javamoss, etc. So if zontaum claim all the bottom territory, then evergladei can move upward into plant thickets to avoid them. I doubt they will interbreed.

#6 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

Yep this tank is heavily planted with the perfect plants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users