Alaskan Black Fish

30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:22 PM

I was looking at some pics of fish the other day when my ey caught this beautiful fish. When I saw it my jaw droped (no joke). My question is if these down right awsome fish can be kept in an aquarium. What are thier requirements (tank size, water quality, tank setup, etc.). Thanks for your time.

#2 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:23 AM

You know what, I have actually been wondering the same thing but never got around to asking, that's for doing it for me. They are a neat fish.

#3 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

I would think so if you provided a lower temp. and big tank say a 55-75 I hear they get up to 8inches

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:13 AM

They are a cool looking fish. I guess the other question is, are you planning a trip to western Alaska? Or are there any NANFA members there who might be willing to trade or just send some?

I was going to ask what these have to do with fishes of Canada, since their native range is western Alaska. But I just looked on NatureServe, and I see they are an exotic in Ontario. What part of Ontario, it's hard to say. But I guess if somebody in Ontario could send you some...

#5 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

They are a cool looking fish. I guess the other question is, are you planning a trip to western Alaska? Or are there any NANFA members there who might be willing to trade or just send some?

I was going to ask what these have to do with fishes of Canada, since their native range is western Alaska. But I just looked on NatureServe, and I see they are an exotic in Ontario. What part of Ontario, it's hard to say. But I guess if somebody in Ontario could send you some...

Anyway, for me personally I am interested in any care requirements for these fish not because I plan on going to Alaska or Ontario but just because I'm interested in the fish in general and if anyone has experiance with them.

#6 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:49 PM

From American Aquarium Fishes, copyright 2000 by Robert J. Goldstein, page 198:

"The Alaska blackfish is probably not suitable for aquaria because of its adaptation to cold temperatures, but the effort may be worthwhile. It is tolerant of low dissolved oxygen concentrations in cold water, but is probably intolerant of heat."

#7 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:36 PM

"The Alaska blackfish is probably not suitable for aquaria because of its adaptation to cold temperatures, but the effort may be worthwhile. It is tolerant of low dissolved oxygen concentrations in cold water, but is probably intolerant of heat."

I have that book, and already have read that bit. It's a shame it does not go into more detail but all well.

#8 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:17 PM

If I do get one I'll have to try and get someone to send me one. The tank would be in my basement too.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

This is a fish that has always interested me, I would love to give them a shot. Mudminnows are a good local alternative, IMHO a must have for any native fish keeper.

#10 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:08 PM

This is a fish that has always interested me, I would love to give them a shot. Mudminnows are a good local alternative, IMHO a must have for any native fish keeper.

I haven't found a place with mudminnows since college and when I was in college we found some once in awhile. If I come across one though I definantly intend on keeping it.

#11 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:43 PM

Anything else on Alaskan Black Fish?

#12 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

Anything else on Alaskan Black Fish?

I do believe the above info is about the most comprehensive info available on Alaskan Blackfish in captivity.
In other words there is about none....

I have personally been looking for them for about 15 years now and even with good contacts within their distribution have still not seen a living one. One of these days though I very much intend on working with this species in depth, Even if I have to move to Alaska to do so.

#13 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:37 PM

I have personally been looking for them for about 15 years now and even with good contacts within their distribution have still not seen a living one. One of these days though I very much intend on working with this species in depth, Even if I have to move to Alaska to do so.

When you move to Alaska, send me some please [-o< :wink:

#14 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

When you move to Alaska, send me some please [-o< :wink:

Me too please.

#15 Guest_Grumpyfish_*

Guest_Grumpyfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:19 PM

Greetings from God's country (Alaska). I live in Anchorage, and this species has apparently been introduced into two local lakes (Hood and Spenard). The latter is close to where I live, and this spring I hope to catch a few small ones to try in a 50gal. They're actually quite tolerant of temperature extremes--EITHER hot or cold--because shallow tundra ponds can get quite warm in the summer.

Nonetheless I either hope to purchase or construct a small "chiller" so I can manipulate temps as needed. Failing this, I have 18" wide windowsills that are long enough to accomodate a 50gal--if I open my office window ~1" in winter, and shut the door, I can get a nice temperature gradient going as one moves laterally away from the crack or out away from the window. How do I know this? Because that's how I keep a terrarium full of native Alaska plants and Northwestern Salamanders (Ambystoma gracile) now.

I'll let y'all know how successful I am in the spring...

#16 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:30 PM

Greetings from God's country (Alaska). I live in Anchorage, and this species has apparently been introduced into two local lakes (Hood and Spenard). The latter is close to where I live, and this spring I hope to catch a few small ones to try in a 50gal. They're actually quite tolerant of temperature extremes--EITHER hot or cold--because shallow tundra ponds can get quite warm in the summer.

Nonetheless I either hope to purchase or construct a small "chiller" so I can manipulate temps as needed. Failing this, I have 18" wide windowsills that are long enough to accomodate a 50gal--if I open my office window ~1" in winter, and shut the door, I can get a nice temperature gradient going as one moves laterally away from the crack or out away from the window. How do I know this? Because that's how I keep a terrarium full of native Alaska plants and Northwestern Salamanders (Ambystoma gracile) now.

I'll let y'all know how successful I am in the spring...

Cool I look forword to updates on this..I have to say also I use the same window technique for my Blue spotted salamanders (Ambystoma laterale) and it also works very well..I get spawning every year out of them.

#17 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:31 PM

I hope you have good luck with the alaskan black fish and can maye send some to those of us that live in the mainland. :smile:

#18 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:20 PM

I hope you have good luck with the alaskan black fish and can maye send some to those of us that live in the mainland. :smile:

nearly got um I have finally got someone that can send me some alaskan blackfish even though it will cost me a real arm and leg and a very large bank loan to ship um down here I have done it if I manage to get him to send me 5-6 I will try to give 1 or 2 away but what I think we should do is get like almost a time share were we get the guy to send say 10 blackfish and we divide the shipping cost.

Robert

#19 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

OK, that maybe worth while to help pay for shipping!

#20 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:35 PM

Skipjack is right...Mudminnows(central, in particular) would make a very good "back up" to blackfish.
They don't get as amazingly colorful..but in most other respects, they seem to be nearly equal. Their size is a bit less(topping out in the 6" or so range I think, at least in an aquarium), but again..they make a very good(and easy to find) alternative.
I'll post some pics in a separate thread in a bit, of my little "pack" of them.
(edited further after I noticed that Skipjack had beat me to the punch about the mudminnows)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users