Outside links

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

What's the policy? How much of a security issue is this?

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

As in linking NANFA from other websites?

I think this could go both ways. I think if we were linked with state F&W websites, this could be a great tool. Also, other non-political envirnomental websites could be increase traffic as well, like state nature perserve websites and other. Increasing traffic here could only mean that the more possiblity for support and impact of the organization. I can also understand the issue of not wanting NANFA.org everywhere. It wouldn't be a good idea for the general public to think that NANFA supports an exact position politically. Also, you don't want just anybody throwing the name around.

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:22 AM

No, as to embedding links to outside website within a post. I thought it was discouraged, for example the "ID this fish from another website".

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:21 AM

No, as to embedding links to outside website within a post. I thought it was discouraged, for example the "ID this fish from another website".

oh, my mistake. I'm not in a position to talk on that one.

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

I can't find anything that states it now, but we did at one point discourage "ID this fish from another website" posts. Mainly, it was because it was often from an angling forum where the photo was poor (for ID purposes), the original thread had a lot of debate about altered photos, and, most importantly, it was coming to us second- or third-hand and the person asking on our forum had no further information about the fish other than the photo itself (like where it was caught, etc.) We basically said that if the person who took the photo and knew about the fish in question wanted to ask us, they could certainly do.

As far as security goes, Drew might be able to provide some insight.

#6 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

I'm pretty sure it would be along the lines of:
- safe for work
- link is on topic, and does not advertise products/other sites
- doesn't contain anything malicious that could infect the site or other users

Edited by panfisherteen, 27 October 2011 - 04:35 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users