Trimming Cabomba caroliniana

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

I'm new to growing this, and a lot of other plants, and I've read a lot of conflicting and vague information about trimming it. I know that I can replant what I trim, but I'm concerned about the bottom of the plant that is left. Will it regrow it's crown, will the branches grow crowns, will it stunt it, will it kill it? I've only had it for a couple of weeks but it's growing fast and in need of a trim. I just want to make sure I do it right before I mess something up. I really like it and it's also one of the few plants that I've had to buy. Thanks.

Steve.

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

If the lower stems are in good shape, they should regrow new top portions with nice fluffy crowns. If they have lost all their leaves on the bottom parts, they may or may not make it. I would trim what is needed and replant, and keep an eye on the old pieces, removing any that don't make it.

#3 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

Will do. They've grown enough that I can leave 7-8 inches on the bottom in good shape and still have plenty to replant. Thank you much.

Steve.

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

Be careful when you're trimming it. Cabomba is very delicate and if you try to shove the stem into the ground very hard, it can have problems sprouting roots from that tattered end. If that happens, you'll see roots falling down from a node above the ground, and if you pull up the underground tissue it'll be rotten and have no root growth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users