Native plant ID

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:17 AM

I was wondering if anyone would like to give me the name of this moss/plant. A little story behind it. Back in March or April I picked 2 rocks up with this growing on it to see if it would grow in my aquarium. I was told then that it only grows in the creeks during the winter here in Indiana. I figured I would try. Sure enough after about a month the plant died, but the rocks looked nice so I left them. Well the plant is growing back on the rocks and one young Greenside darter has claimed them. The fish tend to pick at it and any food that lands on them gets eaten. By the way I hope I did the pictures right. It takes longer for us old dogs to assimilate new ways. Our brains are already full of information and we need to decide what to get rid of. When I took the pictures I forgot to set the camera to flourescent.

Bill F.

Attached File  Plant.jpg   39.33KB   2 downloads

Attached File  Plant2.jpg   39.31KB   0 downloads

#2 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:09 PM

I have a high tech tank, co2 inj etc. and several of the plants that i have taken from the wild will all but die off and then come back with a vengeance. I assume that the plant is adjusting to my water conditions.

#3 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:07 PM

Off the cuff, it looks like a watermoss, Fontinalis sp., but bryophytes aren't my specialty.

Cheers,
Dave

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

Off the cuff, it looks like a watermoss, Fontinalis sp., but bryophytes aren't my specialty.

Cheers,
Dave

I agree, but bryophytes aren't my specialty either. (Bryophyte experts are a bit hard to come by).

There are a few mosses that will take to underwater conditions. It is always interesting to try out new ones. They'll either survive and grow slowly, or disintegrate.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:44 PM

Fontinalis gets my vote, FWIW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users