sampling raft

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

An idea crossed my mind lately. Part of me thinks it may be a good idea. Another part thinks it may be too big and awkward to use (especially on steep banks), too much work to make, and too much of a risk to dump everything in the river.

What is it? A raft made to hold nets and buckets whose tow rope has an anchor on the end.

Why? I find often when sampling I work my way downstream until I get an interesting fish. By that point my bucket is often quite far away from my starting point and it is a long way back to put the fish in water.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work or is it too much trouble?

#2 Guest_frigginchi_*

Guest_frigginchi_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:00 AM

It could be useful if you are collecting lots of fish. I personally use this when I'm messing around in a creek or stream.

http://www.lankatoutdoorproducts.com/
Posted Image

An idea crossed my mind lately. Part of me thinks it may be a good idea. Another part thinks it may be too big and awkward to use (especially on steep banks), too much work to make, and too much of a risk to dump everything in the river.

What is it? A raft made to hold nets and buckets whose tow rope has an anchor on the end.

Why? I find often when sampling I work my way downstream until I get an interesting fish. By that point my bucket is often quite far away from my starting point and it is a long way back to put the fish in water.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work or is it too much trouble?

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

I have the same problem... with the collecting bucket at least, never really put the seine down too much...

The streams that I seem to be in most are either small with a lot of overhanging riparian stuff or have shallow riffles... so something floating that would be big enough to hold a seine or other net would not work for me...

But several other members have used floating buckets of different types and tied them to their waists so that they never leave them behind... because that has happened to all of us for sure... Others use a smaller collecting jar that can be kept in a vest pocket... or I have an insulated container that has an over the shoulder strap... but these have to be emptied often during the day in the main bucket and refilled with fresh cold water.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:39 AM

I usually float the 10 gallon fish bucket down the creek with me. It's much easier to fill the bucket halfway with water, let it float, and then steer it along at water level instead of attempting to walk in the water while carrying a huge heavy bucket full of precious fish. It takes a little bit longer than simply picking it up and carrying it with you, and you look awkward steering a floating bucket along, but it's not as heavy and the fish stay the same temperature as the stream. Then I wedge it into the bank or actually pick it up and put it on the bank where I stop to seine.

That foam ring is a nice idea because then the bucket doesn't topple over so easily.

#5 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

How about a floating bait bucket? I've been using them for years for fishing and collecting.

http://capl.washjeff...oID=4795&size=l

#6 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

I like to take a Flow-Troll bait bucket and JB Weld some window screen material over the holes in it. Then I tie a rope with a carabiner or clamp on it to tie to a belt. It works best to do this with two buckets (one for each person on a seine), especially if you want to separate fish that might eat each other. It works well in all kinds of conditions, there is constant fresh water flowing through it while its floating, doesn't hang up on snags too badly, small fish can't escape through the screen, and it's easy to pick up and carry. It doesn't matter that it doesn't hold much water as you pass over a riffle if you just drop it back in the water when it gets deep enough.

Edited by rjmtx, 04 December 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#7 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

I guess I must be really different. i have a small backpack that I keep on my back and have plastic bags in it (ziplock) so that anytime I come across what I want, I just reach back and pull out the bag and place the fish in it. That way they are already in what I take them home in.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

Just a word of caution - do NOT use an inflatable raft that you got on sale. Especially if you are going a long ways downstream.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

Just a word of caution - do NOT use an inflatable raft that you got on sale. Especially if you are going a long ways downstream.

I do believe I hear the voice of experience here... seem to remember an Irate River of Death adventure.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

I just roll up a towel into a coil and balance the bucket on my head while seining.

#11 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

I just roll up a towel into a coil and balance the bucket on my head while seining.

We need a Like button.

#12 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

That must be quite a sight when you're the kicker!

#13 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

That must be quite a sight when you're the kicker!

It's even better when he's wearing his pipe insulation wetsuit...
http://forum.nanfa.o...dpost__p__85950

#14 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

LOL, this is why I love you guys! Always make me laugh!!!

But really, if the sampling "raft" would be small enough, the idea could be effective. I could see using it as my "second person" with an anchor and the other end of my seine attached to it! ... I cannot get the image out of my mind of kicking and having a bucket balanced on your head.. I can barely walk a straight line on a normal day let alone balance anything..

#15 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

But really, if the sampling "raft" would be small enough, the idea could be effective. I could see using it as my "second person" with an anchor and the other end of my seine attached to it!

Challenge accepted! Any particular features I should include?

Edited by Yeahson421, 11 December 2011 - 06:20 PM.

#16 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

Features, hmmm ... A photo tank for large, rare, delicate or unknown species that you want to show us but dont want to put in your bucket. A safe compartment for your camera. Maybe a small battery-op pump with an intake hose that hangs under the raft to provide continuous flow through the bucket in warm weather, ...

One big problem is rocky shallows or emergent plant beds, especially FAST shallows where current can tip it. Come to think of it, a solar robotic hovercraft that follows beside you would solve a lot of problems.

#17 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

Come to think of it, a solar robotic hovercraft that follows beside you would solve a lot of problems.

Nah, mine got tangled up in the overhead brush and crashed last time I had it out. How embarrassing.

#18 Guest_LincolnUMike_*

Guest_LincolnUMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

Nah, mine got tangled up in the overhead brush and crashed last time I had it out. How embarrassing.

That's why I use a fast attack shallow draft radio controlled submarine.

#19 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

You could also get a float tube. They aren't aren't that cheap but there is a lot of storage and you can use it to rest on. On the downside they are bulky and utterly useless for traveling against the current or across any body of water larger then a small lake or pond.

#20 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

Okay, here's a list I've created:

Bucket holder
Waterproof compartment for electronics
Photo-tank holder
Aquarium net holder (For use in the bucket)
Latch-on bucket cover

Also, pumps will be unnesscery because the bucket will be in the water and it will have small holes in it for circulation and water level lowering to ease fish removal.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users