The Blizzard of 2007

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_frog&cichlid_ chica_*

Guest_frog&cichlid_ chica_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:30 PM

I thought I would share a few pictures of the blizzard. My car was buried in snow!

Attached Files

#2 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

quite a bit of snow here... I just finished digging out her car! I think it was the worst one in the lot. Probably because it was the second one in on our row, mine blocked the wind and the snow just piled up on hers.

#3 Guest_frog&cichlid_ chica_*

Guest_frog&cichlid_ chica_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

Yup, lots of snow!

Attached Files

#4 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:31 PM

haha! My car is fine! - I dumped all the snow from mine onto yours.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:13 PM

haha! My car is fine! - I dumped all the snow from mine onto yours.

My truck's fine too, but then I'm in Alabama...

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

Great pics Julie. I was busily working away at the computer and I heard Erika going in and out and got her snowshoes out of the garage and I was "Y-chromosome limited oblivious", and on V-day... Yeah, her Matrix wasn't exactly going down the driveway until some preciptation was removed. I think the snow shoes were a hint, but then again, she's snow shoeing right now. I dunno. Gonna have to feel that one out when she gets back.

I'm glad I watched "Legally Blonde" with her last night instead of working :)

Todd

#7 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:43 PM

Yes we had lots of snow here near Chattanooga also. I must have seen at least three flakes. Ahhhh was I think around 61F yesterday.

#8 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:10 AM

Been in VA for less than 1 week now (from Georgia).... and there's... ICE!!!!! Brrr.....

#9 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:29 AM

We had 2 days off school and a 2 hour delay last week because of cold and so far this week we have had tues, wed, and thurs, off :smile: But this time its because of snow.

Chad

#10 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:08 PM

I was in northern Mississippi on business at the time. You should have heard those locals whine! Partly sunny and a high of 38 and they called that cold! They just couldn't handle it. That seemed nice and warm to me. I told them to come to Pittsburgh where it was 10. When I got home Thursday night, I had to chip a quarter inch of ice off my van just to drive home from the airport.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

I was in northern Mississippi on business at the time. You should have heard those locals whine! Partly sunny and a high of 38 and they called that cold! They just couldn't handle it. That seemed nice and warm to me. I told them to come to Pittsburgh where it was 10. When I got home Thursday night, I had to chip a quarter inch of ice off my van just to drive home from the airport.

Emphasis on HIGH - the water was so cold my dipnet froze! One thing's for sure - the Catfish Alliance will not be making any field trips to Pennsylvania.

#12 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

Emphasis on HIGH - the water was so cold my dipnet froze! One thing's for sure - the Catfish Alliance will not be making any field trips to Pennsylvania.

Well, you're always welcome, Martin. Thanks for driving up to meet me in Grenada. I enjoyed what little daylight we had after my work hours, and dipping in the dark was certainly interesting. I didn't get an awful lot in what little time we had: a couple speckled darters, a gulf goldstripe darter, and some blackspotted topminnows. They all made it home on my flight from Memphis okay, but for some reason the speckled darters didn't make it through the next night. Too much stress, I guess. Major bummer, but it happens. The gulf goldstripe darter and topminnows are fine.

By the way, the catfish was really tasty!

#13 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:02 PM

All I have to say is come down here in summer and do some midday dipnetting and we will see who whines. hehe
I was whineing when I had to go in the field Thursday night and the temp was around 30. Burrrr

#14 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:22 PM

All I have to say is come down here in summer and do some midday dipnetting and we will see who whines. hehe

I'll give you that. Believe it or not, we actually have hot summer days, too. Typically in the 80s, with some summer days every year going into the 90s. Once every few years, it even tops 100. And we'll either whine about those hot days, or be thankful for them, depending on what we want to do. I certainly don't want to work outside in the 80s, but if I want to go to the pool, I get disappointed if it goes below 85.

I'd certainly like to go down there and do some dipnetting. But it is either a very long drive, or an expensive flight, and I only have so much money and vacation time. One of these days, God only knows when because I don't, I'll make it down there for some collecting. I'll consider that on open invite?

Edit: Oh, I just read that the 2008 convention will be in Texas, fairly close to the Louisiana line. That might be the excuse to make it down your way!

#15 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:53 PM

dipping in the dark was certainly interesting. I didn't get an awful lot in what little time we had

The fish didn't cooperate with the spotlight very well :-( You really need to make a day of it and hit several sites. A WARM day, that is :-) Sorry to hear about the speckleds, normally they travel pretty well.

#16 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

This is related to the Blizzard of 2007. In this last week I'd made three shipments one Mon and two Tuesday. One was 5 Banded Sunfish to Ohio, all made it, a second with 30+ fish to SC all made it and the last, two Eastern Mudminnows, to Ohio which got held up until Sat spending a couple days and nights sitting on a Post Office dock and freezing solid which when thawed were fine! All the aforementioned fish were from NJ or north. But I'd also gotten some Bluefin Killies from Dustin the previous week which was below freezing and only lost one of 10. Quite amazing I must say.

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

The mudminnows that were frozen solid are doing just fine! This is no joke, there was no water in the bags, just ICE!

I have to say that this weather has been hard on me! We were without power for over two days. My garage flooded, and I am still pumping about two inches of water out of it every day. Electric fences were down, and my cattle were out. We had at least an inch of ice on all of the trees here. One was weighted down so much that it was laying on my house. Tonight it is supposed to rain so tomorrow I expect even more water in the garage. The Ice outside of the garage doors is so thick, and mixed with snow that it has formed a dam, and is above the level of the garage floor, I tried to remove some, but had no luck, so tonights rain will run into the garage. Okay, do you all feel sorry for me yet?

#18 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

ya thats prety bad... you live right along that freezing line and being north of it we usually get snow but the snow is easier to remove than when you get the freezeing rain resulting in ice covering everything. Thats sort of rare up this way except in early spring late fall but you get that all winter don't you?

Anyways that's prety interesting about the mudminnows makes me think of setting up a scientific experiment to see how long those guys can stay frozen and come out of it unharmed. Maybe they have some kind of antifreeze in their blood like the gray tree frog. Anyone out there hear of this sort of thing being documented in mudminnows?

#19 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:40 PM

Anyways that's prety interesting about the mudminnows makes me think of setting up a scientific experiment to see how long those guys can stay frozen and come out of it unharmed. Maybe they have some kind of antifreeze in their blood like the gray tree frog. Anyone out there hear of this sort of thing being documented in mudminnows?

Not in mudminnows, but I've done it with mummichogs, Fundulus heteroclitus. I put them in a freezer for several hours to euthanize them, they came out solid, and began to move in several minutes as they defrosted. Not such a good euthanasia technique... Natural "antifreeze" substances in animals are almost always proteins with strong hydrophobic properties. I would have to assume that both mudminnows and mummichogs have good complements of them. But you're right, Brian, it would be a good project for someone with access to the right lab equipment.

#20 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:48 PM

seems like a fairly simple project, not a whole lot needed, but then again you could make it complicated and look for specifically the biological pathways and proteins responsible for their ability to do this (not my field of interest or expertise). By simple I mean just properly documenting the ability to do this. That would work for an undergrad senior research project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users