#1 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

Looks like y'all have a new cihlid in Alabama:

X-Cloudmark-Score: 0
X-RR-Connecting-IP: 159.189.241.12
Date: 14 Dec 2011 12:21:56 -0500
Subject: NAS Species Alert - Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum (AL)

An alert has been generated that matched your criteria from the <http://nas.er.usgs.g...v>Nonindigenous Aquatic Species database:

Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum (convict cichlid) was found in a new State, County, Drainage,

Details:
State: AL
County: Bibb
Drainage: Cahaba (3150202)
Location: Little Schultz Creek, at Schultz Creek Baptist Church.

More information on this specimen can be found:
<Specimen Info>http://nas.er.usgs.g...ecimenID=280176

More information on this species can be found:
<http://nas.er.usgs.g...p?SpeciesID=447

This is an auto-generated e-mail from the US Geological Survey - Nonindigenous Aquatic Species database
If you no longer wish to receive alerts, please visit: <http://nas.er.usgs.g.../unregister.asp

Sounds like a a good excuse for some intensive exotic collecting in Little Schultz Creek. Clean those buggers out!

#2 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

It was only a matter of time. One of the most common sold and hardy. Not sure how big they will get outside of an aquarium.

Usil

#3 Guest_countrybumpkin_*

Guest_countrybumpkin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

I'm not sure they could survive the winter there. I've been there in the winter and there was ice in the creek.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Wow, in Bibb County? That's fairly far north, not too far to the SW of Birmingham. We all know that convicts are insanely fecund, so if they can stand the winter they could be a real problem.

#5 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

Rios don't get past Waco Texas so the convicts might not survive the winter. But it they find them next spring then that bodes trouble. Someone near should locate the spot and check it out next spring and keep us posted.

Usil

#6 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

This is the creek according to Google Earth. The church is about 5 miles south so the creek may meander in that direction.

Anyone live there?

Usil

Attached Files

Edited by Usil, 14 December 2011 - 05:29 PM.

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

It's country, fairly thinly settled. There are 1 or 2 NANFAns in Birmingham but not on the Forum.

#8 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

Great. They're the roach of the cichlid world. Tough & breeds early, often & very agressive. My brother, when he had a pair would leap up at his hand as he opens the lid for a feeding. That is not going to be easy one to exterminate.

#9 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:48 AM

When I saw the thread title, I was sure the anglers who want Cichla stocked in Joe Wheeler Reservoir had finally succeeded. This is bad news, but that would be worse.

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

Yeah, the whole thing is a big story of dumb and dumber. Feh!

#11 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

This is a popular site that I have been to several times. The water is cold and will not support convicts long term. I am surprised they are there at all.

#12 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

I know people are really worried about the convicts becoming established, but why aren't more people worried about the Gymnogeophagus? They come from waters extremely similar to ours, and a friend of mine kept some in his 800 gallon out door pond all winter here in Wisconsin (had a fountain in the middle to keep the ice from covering) but they survived and are doing great. Personally, being from WI I am not worried about convict cichlids, but seeing what my friends Gymnogeophagus did, I am about them..

I hope they don't populate our waters because there are enough issues out there with other invasives..

#13 Guest_mneilson_*

Guest_mneilson_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

As I'm the one who entered this into the NAS database, here's a little background. These fish were collected by a UAlabama grad student back in September (3 total collected, with a dozen more observed in the creek). These fish were not seen when the site had been previously sampled in July, so it seems likely that someone dumped the contents of their cichlid tank at some point between July-September.

If anyone samples in Little Schultz Creek and finds more Cichlasoma, please let us know by submitting a report at http://nas.er.usgs.g...tingReport.aspx (note: pictures are welcome, and encouraged).

#14 Guest_Aquaman_*

Guest_Aquaman_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

I know people are really worried about the convicts becoming established, but why aren't more people worried about the Gymnogeophagus? They come from waters extremely similar to ours, and a friend of mine kept some in his 800 gallon out door pond all winter here in Wisconsin (had a fountain in the middle to keep the ice from covering) but they survived and are doing great. Personally, being from WI I am not worried about convict cichlids, but seeing what my friends Gymnogeophagus did, I am about them..

I hope they don't populate our waters because there are enough issues out there with other invasives..

I have some personal experience with Gymnogeophagus. Based on my experience, they don't do well with competition. Also, they are generally peaceful fish which are often shy and timid. The ecosystem that they come from is perfect for them since they occupy a very specific niche with the other fish. I think there would be too many competitors for food habitat space, etc.

Scott

#15 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

I have some personal experience with Gymnogeophagus. Based on my experience, they don't do well with competition. Also, they are generally peaceful fish which are often shy and timid. The ecosystem that they come from is perfect for them since they occupy a very specific niche with the other fish. I think there would be too many competitors for food habitat space, etc.

Scott

I would agree with most of what you are saying, except that they don't compete well. I kept several species a few years back with some tetra and danio species along with some Pimelodidae sp catfish and they actually out competed the catfish and would still get the majority of the food from the tetras and danios. I would assume that in our riverways, that the danios/tetras would equate to the shiners/minnow sp and i would say bullhead/madtoms would be our closest to the catfish.

I do agree that they are extremely peaceful when given enough food !

#16 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

Aw, nuts. Of all the places in the country to get invaded by something like this, we REALLY didn't need it to be THAT place. ( a very special place indeed for reasons I won't discuss, but many of you already know ) This is bad. Very bad. I doubt they could survive a winter, but some of us Alabamians should maybe try to DO something about this.

#17 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

Aw, nuts. Of all the places in the country to get invaded by something like this, we REALLY didn't need it to be THAT place. ( a very special place indeed for reasons I won't discuss, but many of you already know ) This is bad. Very bad. I doubt they could survive a winter, but some of us Alabamians should maybe try to DO something about this.

You want to try to organize a NANFA 'go seine like crazy day'? I'll bet some of the Georgia folks over here would come help... its not that far from Atlanta to Birmingham...???
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#18 Guest_VicC_*

Guest_VicC_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:32 AM

As I'm the one who entered this into the NAS database, here's a little background. These fish were collected by a UAlabama grad student back in September (3 total collected, with a dozen more observed in the creek). These fish were not seen when the site had been previously sampled in July, so it seems likely that someone dumped the contents of their cichlid tank at some point between July-September.

If anyone samples in Little Schultz Creek and finds more Cichlasoma, please let us know by submitting a report at http://nas.er.usgs.g...tingReport.aspx (note: pictures are welcome, and encouraged).

Yeh, I didn't see any there in June.

Check the lake upstream too. You would have to get permission from the people
at the next driveway heading north
going west from the church.

#19 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:19 AM

Yeah, I know. This is most annoying.

#20 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

Is the convict still around there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users