Algae eaters.

21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_frigginchi_*

Guest_frigginchi_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:26 PM

In the tropical fish side of the hobby we have our go to algae eaters like Amano Shrimp and Otocinlus. Is there a native version of these two to use as a clean up crew? They have to be small since they will be kept in a tank with pygmy sunfish, least and pygmy killies.

#2 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

If you use the forum's search function, you can find lots of results for "Algae Eater." I would give you a bunch of links but the second post in this thread already has a bunch! Browsing through some, it seems the general consensus that has been reached is sailfin mollies, southern redbelly dace, central stonerollers, and florida flagfish will actively pick at it but won't really get rid of it with the same entirety that, say, an oto would. Also, they are all fairly robust feeders (and the central stoneroller is too large) so they wouldn't make very good tankmates with the small, retiring fish you have. Frog tadpoles from species in the Rana genus eat it decently well, and remain tadpoles for quite some time. (Actually, the single time that I tried keeping a bullfrog tadpole, it insisted on razing my softer plants to the roots. If you don't have plants or you grow stuff like hornwort it could work.)

Nerite snails are both native and they excel at eating algae. They can be readily obtained at a growing number of fish stores too. A few other snails like ramshorns have been okay in my experience with them, although they will leave a tiny holepunch hole in a plant leaf every once in a while.

By the way, I've read that some aquatic larval forms of terrestrial insects will eat algae too, but I doubt you want any of those flying around in your house! :laugh:

Edit: If all else fails, hydrogen peroxide is a possible solution.

Edited by Orangespotted, 30 December 2011 - 11:26 PM.

#3 Guest_frigginchi_*

Guest_frigginchi_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for the help. From the rest of the threads it looks like nothing can replace the Oto and Amano. I guess they are unobtrusive enough to put in the tank. I detest nerites because they lay eggs everywhere...lol. I'll spot treat glutaraldehyde.

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:45 AM

Just to add a comment you might not have heard, but pygmy sunfish tanks are usually really low algae. The bioload is low and the fish mass per gallon is low. It's not like keeping large predatory fish, where they leave bits of flesh laying around to rot after they're done feeding. Pygmy sunfish just slurp up a worm, digest it, done. It's easy to add only as many worms as they'll eat. There's not a lot of waste, often not enough to keep nitrate very much above 0 ppm in the heavily planted tank.

Edited by EricaWieser, 31 December 2011 - 01:46 AM.

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:10 AM

I heard Northern Redbelly Dace feed heavilly on algea but never seen them make an impact in my tanks. I also heard flagfish will but am unsure on this.

My experience with non-native algea eaters is not too well. Chinese Algea Eaters don't really eat much algea, Pleco's don't do that well on the long term in an unheated tank, and oto cats are eaten by everything including Banded Killifish.

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

I have a lot of Dace and stonerollers. They don't put a dent in the algae. As much as I hate it, I have a few Otos in my tank.

#7 Guest_frigginchi_*

Guest_frigginchi_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

I put 4 Otos in my tank a day ago. Now my glass is all sparkly.

#8 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

I keep a few siamese algae eaters. They aren't native but seem to be good algae eaters, and they pretty much look like a native at a glance. They often hang out with my juvenile creek chubsuckers and you really have to take a good look to tell them apart. I would have flagfish in my algae crew also, if I could get them.

#9 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

I keep a few siamese algae eaters. They aren't native but seem to be good algae eaters, and they pretty much look like a native at a glance. They often hang out with my juvenile creek chubsuckers and you really have to take a good look to tell them apart. I would have flagfish in my algae crew also, if I could get them.

I've often thought about using siamese algae eaters. I agree, they do seem to look native. I like the Otos, but with 125gal, I would need a small army of them to keep my tank clean. They are just too small and can't cover enough ground. Also, they tend to only eat on smooth, flat surfaces. They will not even think about eating algae off my rock-wall background.

#10 Guest_frigginchi_*

Guest_frigginchi_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

Otos are schooling fish. They look pretty awesome in a school. I think a dozen or two otos will clean your 125 perfectly and at the same time won't look to obtrusive.

I've often thought about using siamese algae eaters. I agree, they do seem to look native. I like the Otos, but with 125gal, I would need a small army of them to keep my tank clean. They are just too small and can't cover enough ground. Also, they tend to only eat on smooth, flat surfaces. They will not even think about eating algae off my rock-wall background.

#11 Guest_Anglr200_*

Guest_Anglr200_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

I heard Northern Redbelly Dace feed heavilly on algea but never seen them make an impact in my tanks. I also heard flagfish will but am unsure on this.

My experience with non-native algea eaters is not too well. Chinese Algea Eaters don't really eat much algea, Pleco's don't do that well on the long term in an unheated tank, and oto cats are eaten by everything including Banded Killifish.

I had a bristlenose pleco who loved it my sunfish tank (66-74). He went back to the LFS after damaging my sword plants though...

#12 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

I'm also looking for algae eaters for my 250 gal. sturgeon tank and one Im seriously considering is the hifin banded shark, Myxocyprinus asiaticus. They would eventually get too large for the OP's tank but would be fine for awhile in mine. I've never kept them but I understand that they are mild-mannered community fish with an appetite for algae and they prefer the cooler temps of my tanks (60-70 F).

Anyone here have experience with them?

#13 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

I'm also looking for algae eaters for my 250 gal. sturgeon tank and one Im seriously considering is the hifin banded shark, Myxocyprinus asiaticus. They would eventually get too large for the OP's tank but would be fine for awhile in mine. I've never kept them but I understand that they are mild-mannered community fish with an appetite for algae and they prefer the cooler temps of my tanks (60-70 F).

Anyone here have experience with them?

I don't have experience with them but just from basic googling I learned that they are endangered in the wild and that there is no known successful breeding of them in captivity. Personally, I don't keep fish that I can't breed. And I definitely don't keep fish that I can't breed and which are endangered.

#14 Guest_frigginchi_*

Guest_frigginchi_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

The Otos are still doing a great job as well as my cherry shrimp.

#15 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

I don't have experience with them but just from basic googling I learned that they are endangered in the wild and that there is no known successful breeding of them in captivity. Personally, I don't keep fish that I can't breed. And I definitely don't keep fish that I can't breed and which are endangered.

While i completely agree with you about the ethics of purchasing or collecting endangered species,something I too avoid, I think your comment about captive breeding of this species is debatable. I've seen several references to captive raising and the following: "Myxocyprinus asiaticus requires a license in the United Kingdom as its unlawful release poses a threat to British freshwater fish stocks." This would suggest that there is a concern with breeding in UK waters. It also is frequently available in the US and at low prices which, while not proof of captive culture, does make it seem unlikely that it is a rare, wild caught fish from the other side of the globe. But thanks for raising the question. I'll do further research and let you know if I find documented evidence of captive raising.

#16 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

Here is a link to the Tiawan Fisheries Institute, Council of Agriculture which states, "Some economic exotic fishes like Myxocyprinus asiaticus and 5 kinds of sturgeons have been imported and bred successfully."

http://www.tfrin.gov...tNode=1574&mp=3

Also, take it with a grain of salt but I was just assured by one seller that his were captive bred.

#17 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

And here is what I think should settle the question: www.asianfisheriessociety.org/modules/wfdownloads/visit.php?...

It's a 1995 study (peer reviewed it appears) carried out by the Asian Fisheries Society, Manila, Phillipines titled Controlled Reproduction and Broodstock Rearing of the Chinese Sucker, Myxocyprinus asiaticus.

It documents that this species can be successfully bred in captivity, which is not to say that wild caught specimens are not being offered for sale, but at 3 for $50, shipping included, I doubt these were caught in China.

#18 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

It's good to hear they're not being captured from the wild. I doubt you can duplicate the hormone-injected pond rearing that seems necessary to propagate them, though. They'll probably never breed in your aquarium. And to breed them, the authors fed them worms. It doesn't sound like a very vegetarian fish.

The author of http://www.csupomona...xocyprinus.html says

Conclusions:
It is of dubious ethical value to keep a fish which may outgrow its tank; keeping fish is too small a tank is inhumane. Few (if any) aquarists have the tank space to house this fish at its adult size. If it is unlikely that the fish will reach adult size in an aquarium, this is a moot point. It is also of note that the fish is an endangered species. Since the fish is not really "captive bred" in the aquarium trade, keeping the fish in an aquarium does not contribute to its survival as a species. Aquarist demand for this fish may contribute to its extinction, since juveniles must be taken from its breeding habitat and out of any pool of individuals that are likely to reproduce.

I could not, in good conscience, keep this fish in an aquarium.

And it's not even really an algae eater. Quote http://www.seriously...siaticus&id=221

It is a benthic omnivore with insects/insect larvae, crustaceans, small molluscs, annelids, algae and other vegetable matter composing the majority of the diet in nature. In the aquarium there is little point in offering floating foods although good quality sinking products are accepted. Daily meals of small live and frozen foods such as bloodworm, Daphnia and Artemia should also be included on the menu for the fish to develop the best condition.

And they're unhappy in small numbers. Again from http://www.seriously...siaticus&id=221

It is found swimming in schools in nature and some individuals can act skittishly if kept in insufficient numbers in the aquarium. It really is unkind to buy just one or two (hypothetically a group of six or more should be the smallest considered) but only a handful of private aquarists that we know of possess the kind of resources required to house even a single specimen.

Edited by EricaWieser, 04 February 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#19 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

Sorry, you must have misunderstood me. I have no interest in breeding them. I was simply responding to your comment that "there is no known successful breeding of them in captivity" and to show that not every specimen for sale necessarily comes from endangered wild populations. I personally don't feel the need to breed every fish I keep but I certainly respect your choice to do so. To each her own.

I am equipped to meet their housing and feeding requirements and need for companionship.

I do appreciate the information and discussion but would also like to hear from someone who has personal experience with this species. While not exclusive herbivores, I have heard that they will help with algae control. Can anyone verify that, the subject of this thread?

Thanks!

It's good to hear they're not being captured from the wild. I doubt you can duplicate the hormone-injected pond rearing that seems necessary to propagate them, though. They'll probably never breed in your aquarium. And to breed them, the authors fed them worms. It doesn't sound like a very vegetarian fish.

The author of http://www.csupomona...xocyprinus.html says

And it's not even really an algae eater. Quote http://www.seriously...siaticus&id=221

And they're unhappy in small numbers. Again from http://www.seriously...siaticus&id=221

#20 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Native Stonerollers are excellent algae eaters and survivors in disturbed urbanized streams, and do well in aquaria.
Great fish, and really fun to observe when spawning. The males... what a metamorpus.
Go Native.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users