about conventions

17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

I am debating going to the Ohio 2012 convention. (If I do depends on what expenses I hit between now and then). U never been to a convention before.

The Summer American Currents issue said it was going from thursday to sunday with days dedicated to a field trip, talks, a canoe/kayak trip, and collecting.

I have some questions.

1. The days were mentioned but not the exact dates, will that be announced soon? Will it happen rain or shine?

2. Will their be a mention of near bye affordable hotels or other places to stay?

3. Is it good to arrange the trip to go a day before and after the alloted time to scout the area or to sample on your own?

4. Will their be a guide to advise you on which species are threatened/endangered and how to identify them so we do not take what we shouldn't?

5. On a Virginia sampling trip with friends I fell behind trying to navigate dangerously slippery rocks and were told that "being dragged through hazardous terrain at high speed" aspect is worse at actual convention sampling trips. Is their any way to organize a group that takes a more casual pace.

6. I never canoed or kayaked before, I am not sure how to handle to canoe/kayak trip

7. I heard their is often a sale or auction at these trips where everything from tanks to art work are offered. Can anyone buy a tank or commission an art work to submit for the auction?

8. What kind of field trips should I expect?

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

6. I never canoed or kayaked before, I am not sure how to handle to canoe/kayak trip

I can answer that one; I've gone canoeing every summer for the past few years because it's a good way to get on the water, exercise, and be lazy all at the same time. Here's what I've learned on my trips.

How fast you go depends on how fast the water is that day (how much it has rained recently). Most canoe/kayak places know how long that will take you and when you book a trip, they ask you if you want a three hour, five hour, or all day journey. Then you pay them, get a map, and hop in the bus that takes you upstream. Usually someone with a multi-seat vehicle drives the canoes and the people upstream. Then they go downstream and wait for them to arrive. Don't bring anything with you that you would mind getting wet. In fact, it's a good idea to wear a bathing suit instead of normal undergarments; your butt is going to be in a puddle at some point on the trip and you don't want to be uncomfortable. Also, bring sunscreen and food. I usually buy a whole bunch of goodies and put them in a bag. It turns out the wrapping on most store bought foods is waterproof :) Then you can mosey a bit and have fun with your friends in your own and the other boat(s). Going out on a river is easier than on a lake because there is a current taking you somewhere. If you get tired, you just stop paddling for a while and it'll still take you where you want to go. Shade from overhanging branches also makes a river more pleasant than baking under the sun on a lake.

Canoeing is easy and fun. One person sits in the front of the boat and one in the back. To go straight you paddle on opposite sides of the boat from one another, but this may take a few minutes to acquire initial coordination as usually one person is paddling more than the other. You'll get the hang of it within three minutes though, no biggie. Oh, and if you sit in the back you can be lazier because the front person sometimes won't realize you've stopped paddling (just kidding).

Kayaking is just awful. Well, I should rephrase that. Open top kayaking for five hours is awful for pasty pale people who sunburn. There, I feel like that sentence is specific enough. Yeah so, I went kayaking for the first time last summer, a long experienced canoe-er who wanted to try something new. In open top kayaks, your feet are spread out in front of you. That means that all day, the sun is shining down on the top of your thighs and shins. Well, it turns out that that's a part of the body that for most people isn't used to direct sunlight. All four of us were so sunburned after that trip that we regretted it for a week. Also, kayaking is much more work intensive than canoeing. You're literally paddling all the time. With a canoe, the labor is divided between two people, and it really only takes one of you to keep the boat's intertia going, so you can trade off who's doing the work. With a kayak, if you take a break you slow down and then you have to speed yourself up again. And people always get separated on a river. You start out in a big group of people, for example four people. In canoes, there would be two people per canoe and you can hang out with the person in your own boat if the other boat is a little ways up or down stream. In kayaks, you'd either better have a friend who goes the exact same speed as you, or who likes you enough to stay with you. When I went, I didn't see one of our four person group the entire way. Well, I saw him when we started and I saw him waiting for us when we landed, but that was about it. Kayaks are also wetter than canoes, which affects the food/drink situation. And instead of "your butt will get wet once or twice" it's "your flesh will constantly be submerged in cold river water".

So now you know. If you ever have to choose between open top kayaking and canoeing and you've never done either, choose canoeing. Canoeing is a complete blast with the right people, especially if you like being outside close to water, eating food, and hanging out with friends. Versus kayaking, which is the worst thing ever. I can't speak for closed top kayaking, though; I was too scared of it flipping and me getting pinned underwater and drowning to try it.

Edited by EricaWieser, 04 January 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

Some of these are better answered by the actual convention hosts... but I can provide some experience having been to most of them in teh past 10 years or so. First, I would say, do not think about it... definitely come ans join us if at all possible. Conventions are always worth it! Great people, great fish, great fun, etc.

1. Yes, you will get dates soon, and yes it has happened in the past rain or shine.
2. Current thinking on housing includes a number of options and price points, including I beleive at least one option for sharing cabins that will be pretty price friendly.
3. Some people do plan before an after trips, but you don't have to do this as there will be lots of opportunity to collect during the trips at sites that the hosts will ahve already scouted. But if you are looking for somethign specific an extra day is always good.
4. Yes, you usually have a host that know about the local fish
5. Not sure about speed, I am not the most athletic guy, but have not had that problem at conventions
6. The whole 'who wants to canoe' issue is also being talked about, but not yet finalizes as far as I know
7. Yes, there will be an auction... and as an all volunteer organization we are always looking for items to be donated to the auction. Contact our convention host (or whoever he delegates) directly.
8. I will let our convention host talk about field trips
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

So now you know. If you ever have to choose between open top kayaking and canoeing and you've never done either, choose canoeing. Canoeing is a complete blast with the right people, especially if you like being outside close to water, eating food, and hanging out with friends. Versus kayaking, which is the worst thing ever. I can't speak for closed top kayaking, though; I was too scared of it flipping and me getting pinned underwater and drowning to try it.

Not trying to change the subject here, but I prefer kayaking(sit-in kayaks anyway). You have a lower center of gravity and they feel nice and stable. The design makes a big difference. I've got a couple that are pretty comfy, stable and fairly dry. Year before last, I took a good friend of mine kayak fishing. He had never been in a kayak before and he was 81 years old. We spent nearly 12 hours in those kayaks and he loved it. I won't go any further, but there are a number of factors about different kayaks and canoes that need to be considered before choosing which one is best for you.

Steve.

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

Not trying to change the subject here, but I prefer kayaking(sit-in kayaks anyway). You have a lower center of gravity and they feel nice and stable. The design makes a big difference. I've got a couple that are pretty comfy, stable and fairly dry. Year before last, I took a good friend of mine kayak fishing. He had never been in a kayak before and he was 81 years old. We spent nearly 12 hours in those kayaks and he loved it. I won't go any further, but there are a number of factors about different kayaks and canoes that need to be considered before choosing which one is best for you.

Steve.

I've heard that the closed top, sit in kayaks are a lot better than the open top ones. I might try them one day.

#6 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

I haven't been to a convention yet, but I went on the Tate's Hell trip in October. First, its a great bunch of people, and everyone brings some unique perspective to the party. As far as the physical level, you will be surprised what you will do to get to the next spot that just might hold that fish or plant species we've been talking about all day.

I plan to go. You cannot help but learn if you do no more that keep quiet and listen. Even more if you participate.

I am not really answering any of your questions and I don't want to speak for the organizers. But these are great people and I have to imagine that there will be something for pretty much everyone.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Jim

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Brian Zimmerman is organizing this event, and is very on top of his game. He works for DNR. I expect an all around excellent convention.
And if you are tired of slipping on rocks, get felt wading shoes. Ohio creeks are not particularly slippery though. I am certain that Brian will choose trip leaders who know their fishes well enough to steer you away from our T&E species. You can choose your trips, and opt out of the canoe trip if you like. I assume Brian will pull permits that cover the convention. If you arrive early or stay late, you will be on your own, and will need an Ohio license, and must follow Ohio regulations.

#8 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

I am debating going to the Ohio 2012 convention. (If I do depends on what expenses I hit between now and then). U never been to a convention before.

The Summer American Currents issue said it was going from thursday to sunday with days dedicated to a field trip, talks, a canoe/kayak trip, and collecting.

I have some questions.

1. The days were mentioned but not the exact dates, will that be announced soon? Will it happen rain or shine?

2. Will their be a mention of near bye affordable hotels or other places to stay?

3. Is it good to arrange the trip to go a day before and after the alloted time to scout the area or to sample on your own?

4. Will their be a guide to advise you on which species are threatened/endangered and how to identify them so we do not take what we shouldn't?

5. On a Virginia sampling trip with friends I fell behind trying to navigate dangerously slippery rocks and were told that "being dragged through hazardous terrain at high speed" aspect is worse at actual convention sampling trips. Is their any way to organize a group that takes a more casual pace.

7. I heard their is often a sale or auction at these trips where everything from tanks to art work are offered. Can anyone buy a tank or commission an art work to submit for the auction?

8. What kind of field trips should I expect?

Josh,

2. Will their be a mention of near by affordable hotels or other places to stay? The best thing is to get together with some others and split the price on the conference site accomodations. The price ends up very affordable. Being on site in the midst of everything is huge advantage for fun and fellowship.

3. Is it good to arrange the trip to go a day before and after the alloted time to scout the area or to sample on your own? I much prefer an extra day or 2 before and/or after it offers a bit of insurance regarding weather and for me gives the opportunity to get some target species early so I am a little less likely to drag others thru dangerous, hazardous terrain at high speed. (Nativeplanter - unless darkness is moving in) Also often there are other activities you can participate in like aquarium visits, tours, camping etc. The way I look at it is if I'm spending a fair amount of money to get somewhere I may as well get the most out of my time there.

5. On a Virginia sampling trip with friends I fell behind trying to navigate dangerously slippery rocks and were told that "being dragged through hazardous terrain at high speed" aspect is worse at actual convention sampling trips. Is their any way to organize a group that takes a more casual pace? Some guides are easier to follow, some more of a challenge especially on those mountain passes. Talk with the guides and you can determine which trips are likely to be more or less pressured time wise. If a trip is close by with a couple stops it likely will be slower paced then 4 sites an hour and half away thru the mountains chasing Fritz : ) though obviously not as much fun or as big an adrenaline rush. Also try to find the older wiser guys who have learned to slow down a bit, this may be more difficult then it would seem though so get references where possible. Oh yeah and sorry about dragging you around that one creek on the VA trip at least I made sure you had some of everything to help heal those bruises. Ha, ha!

One thing to keep in mind is being prepared and timely which requires more focus for some then others. If everybody is ready to move on and one person is alway holding up the rest it may cause some irritation. Especially if you're a passenger of someone ready to roll. For those who are often late or behind picking the right ride or having your own transportation and GPS and a gazzeteer might be a good idea.

Make whatever arrangements necessary to make this conference you won't be sorry. I'm planning on attending so keep in touch I'm on your way so we may be able to travel together. Once we're in the water...well I can't promise anything.

Edited by keepnatives, 04 January 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#9 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

Mike pretty much sums it up, so there isn't much more to add. I will say that there are a variety of ways that people enjoy the conventions. Some are fast-and-furious types, and others are more relaxed and just want to talk fish. Some share lodging, some camp. Some bring family members. There are certain to be people and activities that you fit right in with.

I much prefer an extra day or 2 before and/or after it offers a bit of insurance regarding weather and for me gives the opportunity to get some target species early so I am a little less likely to drag others thru dangerous, hazardous terrain at high speed. (Nativeplanter - unless darkness is moving in)

I don't seem to recall any dragging. Maybe I blocked it out. Did I fall in or something? I seem to remember bringing only those stupid aqua-stealth wading shoes and not felt soled ones. I do remember fawning over the local vegetable plants for sale at the gas station on the way back to the hotel (after dark).

One thing to keep in mind is being prepared and timely which requires more focus for some then others. If everybody is ready to move on and one person is alway holding up the rest it may cause some irritation. Especially if you're a passenger of someone ready to roll...

Oh dear... I do hope you aren't talking about me... I admit I have a tendancy to get sidelined by terrestrial plants on the way out of the water.

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

At the Huntsville convention in 2003 we found two organizational quirks that could hold up stream trips. The first is that whoever is leading a trip shouldn't drive like it's a NASCAR event, especially going down small County roads. Jan Hoover probably still is recovering from his drive out to Estill Fork(!), I won't mention names... The other is being aware of any people who are snorkeling who often go way upstream from others, and get so into it that they lose track of time and others have to go track them down so that everyone can leave. And hopefully the sites at the Ohio convention are all in cell phone range, many of the good places in north Alabama don't have cell coverage so it's easy to lose touch with others.

#11 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

I don't seem to recall any dragging. Maybe I blocked it out. Did I fall in or something? I seem to remember bringing only those stupid aqua-stealth wading shoes and not felt soled ones. I do remember fawning over the local vegetable plants for sale at the gas station on the way back to the hotel (after dark).

Oh dear... I do hope you aren't talking about me... I admit I have a tendancy to get sidelined by terrestrial plants on the way out of the water.

Actually the last stop we made to get saffron shiners it was getting dark and it was also quite slick and I kept dragging you and others a bit too fast for the conditions as well as falling often myself. Glad you forgot about that, hopefully by fall 2012 you'll forget it again. As it turns out that was the same creek Josh was with Justin and myself also slipping like crazy.

No, was not referring to you.

#12 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:47 AM

Another thought on the. canoe/kayak question. I would bet that someone will sponsor a "paddle day" event somewhere near you this summer. They will have a lot of different kayaks and canoes to try out and lots of people with experience to provide instruction. You can spend all day trying different craft, meet new people, and have a good time.

I tried my first kayak at one of these over 10 years ago, and my canoe hasn't come out of my garage since. You are so close to the water you feel like you are in there with the fish.

#13 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:20 AM

Actually the last stop we made to get saffron shiners it was getting dark and it was also quite slick and I kept dragging you and others a bit too fast for the conditions as well as falling often myself. Glad you forgot about that, hopefully by fall 2012 you'll forget it again. As it turns out that was the same creek Josh was with Justin and myself also slipping like crazy.

Those were some crazy rocks in that local too. The smaller ones were slippery and flattened and on other rocks and not wedged in so easilly slid out from under foot. The larger ones were flattened and sharp edged and came in two varieties. Shelf like ones who jutted out over the water strangely. And axe like ones whose sharp edge pointed airwards ready to act like an axe to anyone whose head may hit them.

Honestly I wish I had time to examine these rocks, the flat, sharpened nature may mean they could be shale and thus likely to hold fossils.

They made especially hazardous conditions and to this day were the worst river rocks I seen. They were not smooth and rounded like normal ones are and were not firmly wedged into underlying soil (instead say on other rocks and easilly slid out from under foot).

#14 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Brian almost has the annoucement finished. Should be posted soon. I freely admit to attempting to try and get too much done during the collecting trips I've led. The NC mountain trip in particular. Luckily for my VA group, I was the one that slipped and wrenched my back which really slowed me down, I think.

#15 Guest_VicC_*

Guest_VicC_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

Brian almost has the annoucement finished. Should be posted soon. I freely admit to attempting to try and get too much done during the collecting trips I've led. The NC mountain trip in particular. Luckily for my VA group, I was the one that slipped and wrenched my back which really slowed me down, I think.

Do you mean the SC mountain trip?

#16 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

Do you mean the SC mountain trip?

I think Fritz may be refering to the NC trip. We left @ 7-7:30 a.m. and returned to the hotel about 11:00 that night. A lot of different streams; a lot of different fish. Thanks Fritz

Harry Knaub

#17 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

I think Fritz may be refering to the NC trip. We left @ 7-7:30 a.m. and returned to the hotel about 11:00 that night. A lot of different streams; a lot of different fish. Thanks Fritz

Harry Knaub

I took my group on a similar trip the next day. Fortunately it was on the way home for most. I think I may have tried to cover too much ground during the VA trip. We drove a lot of miles in a big circle...

#18 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

I wasn't trying to put a guilt trip on any trip leaders, any late, long, rushed trips are usually motivated by us folks on the trip wanting to squeeze in one more stop or get one more species.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users