F1 Redfin Pickerel

23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_DarkMousy_*

Guest_DarkMousy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:18 AM

A. This fish swells up with increased salinity, and is highly susceptible to gram negative bacterial infection (cottontail) at zero salinity.

It's funny that you mention this, because this might very well be the problem I had with another Esociform fish (central mudminnow) this past summer. The larger specimens I had in a native community tank were dropping like flies to columnaris, yet no other fish in the tank (including sensitive emerald shiners) displayed any signs of the infection. I tried all of the common recommended medications to no avail - in a last ditch attempt to save the last 2 I dosed the tank with some salt. Lo and behold, a few days later and the last 2 mudminnows were swimming around perfectly healthy as if nothing ever happened, their ragged fin edges regenerating at a rapid pace. Have there been any studies conducted on the relationship between salinity levels and columnaris infection that you are aware of?

Edited by DarkMousy, 26 February 2012 - 04:32 AM.

#22 Guest_Rainbowrunner_*

Guest_Rainbowrunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Salt will sometimes prevent columnaris, but not always cure it once it takes hold. Use Nitrofuracin Green Powder for 3 days in row, that will cure it. The salt builds up the fishes slime coat, which prevents the bacteria from getting hold of the fishes skin.

Edited by Rainbowrunner, 15 April 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#23 Guest_Rainbowrunner_*

Guest_Rainbowrunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Or Kanamycin for 3-5 days (actually better than Nitro green)

Edited by Rainbowrunner, 27 April 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#24 Guest_Rainbowrunner_*

Guest_Rainbowrunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Just an update, Gambusia was an A-symptomatic carrier of the columnaris. Removal of Gambusia from the pond and subsequent draining proved 100% effective, whereas salinity manipulation did not.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users