Monopod walking stick

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

At a friend's recommendation I picked up a monopod for my camera and since I plan on doing some hiking this year I decided that a monopod walking stick would be ideal.

http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details

Now all I need is a decent daypack and I'll be ready to go. Well my knee is still kind of messed up but I have a couple of months to rehab it. I plan on hiking along some mountain streams in the northwest part of NJ to see what kind of small fish species I can come across. I'm also still on my hunt for the elusive(at least in New Jersey) burrowing crayfish Cambarus diogenes. There are also a few species of salamanders I'd like to see and if I'm really lucky I might get a picture of a Timber rattlesnake, from a safe distance of course.

#2 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:51 AM

I've never used a monopod, but I think I'd be lost without my tripod. The fact that it seconds as walking stick does sound handy. If they made one that also had dipnet attachment on it that would pretty much just ice the cake. Looking forward to seeing pictures you get while your hiking with it. Hope your knee heals soon. Spring will be here before we know it.

Steve.

Edit: I've happened upon rattlers in West Virginia, but it's never been when I've had the camera on me. #-o Lucky for me they've got an audible alarm system on them though. :shock:

Edited by frogwhacker, 14 January 2012 - 01:08 AM.

#3 Guest_mywan_*

Guest_mywan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:21 AM

Edit: I've happened upon rattlers in West Virginia, but it's never been when I've had the camera on me. #-o Lucky for me they've got an audible alarm system on them though. :shock:

Some rattlers are learning to stay quiet when approached. After years of people killing the rattlers they came across the rattlers least apt to warn of their presents are the ones that survive and breed. Don't be whacking my snakes, or my frogs :fishy:

I don't see much value in a walking stick in spite of a bad foot, as it doesn't seem to help and gets in the way of carrying other supplies. However, a monopod that hangs from my neck, so that I could drop to my knees and have a quick way to stabilize my camera sounds cool.

Edited by mywan, 14 January 2012 - 02:21 AM.

#4 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

Don't be whacking my snakes, or my frogs :fishy:

LOL, I guess I probably deserve that given the user name I've chosen. I don't want to hijack this thread, but possibly I should give a little explanation. I come from a family of outdoorsmen where hunting and fishing and the like are an acceptable means of obtaining table fare. Frog legs are one of those foods.

Being at the top of the food chain, as we humans are, creates it's own special set of circumstances. We are not necessarily where we are because of physical power, but because of the cognitive abilities and awareness we possess that other animals don't. Along with those abilities comes a conscience, and with a conscience comes responsibilities. As I see it, one of those responsibilities is to do whatever possible to minimize the pain and suffering that we cause to the animals we prey upon. Many people skin frogs while they are still alive. To me, this is totally unacceptable, thoughtless, and inhumane. As horrible as it sounds, the fastest way I know of to kill a frog is to "whack" it's head on a hard surface(concrete block). Yes, this sounds terrible and I don't like to kill anything, but it's much better than skinning it alive. I'm actually one of the softest hearted people I know as I'm quite bothered by seeing anyone, human or other suffering, so it's not because of a dislike, but rather because of respect and compassion that I choose to euthanize that which I must kill to eat.

I've introduced a number of young people to outdoor activities and taught them how prepare "wild" food. The main thing that I've tried to instill in them is to have compassion on all animals they come in contact with whether they are gathering for food or fun or just observing. The last group of young fellows that I spent time with found the method by which I euthanize frogs interesting and coined the term "frogwhacker". I therefore chose this name to remind myself of the ethical responsibilities that come with my place on the planet.

Again, sorry for the threadjack. If this is out of place, feel free to delete it, move it, or just "whack" it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The situation I was referring to in my last post involved an experience where I nearly stepped on a rattle snake. Another 2 steps and the both of us would have been unhappy. Fortunately, I heard the rattling and gave some space.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the original subject, I may look into getting one of these monopods for my mom. With her back trouble she walks with a cane, but she also loves to take pictures. BTW myan, I think you'd like my mom. She picks up every snake she finds and talks to it and pets it before putting it back down to go on it's way. I'm not sure the snakes are impressed, but she has fun and there's no harm done(except for the few times she's been bitten).

Steve.

Edited by frogwhacker, 14 January 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

... and here I am, thinking the thread was going to be about a one-legged twiggy insect...

#6 Guest_mywan_*

Guest_mywan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

Just adding a funny to a point about how rattlesnakes are adapting. :tongue: Personally I think getting bent out of shape over some hunting, fishing, frog gigging, etc., is absurd. I've eaten a few frog legs myself in years gone by. If people got as upset about habitat destruction as many seem to about hunting we would be in a lot better shape. It seems to me that hunters and even hobbyist catch the blame end of the stick while the source of the problem goes mostly unchecked. However, the few times I did see people just out seeing how much they could kill and leave to rot did make me mad. Responsible hunters are as cool as they come, just pass some of that venison. O:)

Anybody ever seen a monopod you could wear around your neck and use without removing?

#7 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

... and here I am, thinking the thread was going to be about a one-legged twiggy insect...

Me too.

#8 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:26 AM

If people got as upset about habitat destruction as many seem to about hunting we would be in a lot better shape.

Completely agree here.

However, the few times I did see people just out seeing how much they could kill and leave to rot did make me mad.

I've seen that too and it just makes me sick.

Anybody ever seen a monopod you could wear around your neck and use without removing?

Manfrotto makes one that goes as low as just over 15" and weighs just over a half pound. I think they make some pretty good stuff. My tripod is a Bogen/Manfrotto and I've been quite happy with the quality of it.
Here's the link for the compact monopod: http://www.manfrotto.../Compact_Series It shows it with a hand strap, so you might be able to rig up something comfortable around your neck to be able to keep it on while using it. If that would cause it to hang down too low, you might be able to keep it in a shoulder type holster that's made for a large handgun while your walking. It would be handy and a lot less bulky than carrying a tripod as long as you didn't need real slow exposures. It sure seems that there would be a way to rig something up. I'm eager to hear if you find one that works.

Steve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users