Flathead Catfish

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tbinchrist_*

Guest_tbinchrist_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Anyone keep Flathead Catfish? Id like to chat with someone else who does. Ive yet to meet anyone who kept one.

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:42 AM

Anyone keep Flathead Catfish? Id like to chat with someone else who does. Ive yet to meet anyone who kept one.

I never kept one but would love to see the tank of someone who does as they are one of North Americas largest freshwater fish. (I wanted to look up how big but I couldn't find a resource size ranking American fish, one fishing site said "only the blue catfish, alligator gar, and white sturgeon are larger" but I doubt the accuracy of that as I know we have more big sturgeon species in freshwater).

#3 Guest_tbinchrist_*

Guest_tbinchrist_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:32 AM

I have had one for a while from a fingerling, now about 12" long. Cute as a button, and quite friendly to me. He is certainly predator though. Currently kept in a several hundred gallon aquarium.
The current world record Flathead was 128 pounds caught in Kansas, but there are photos and records of even bigger. I really think its almost a tie between the blue and flathead on which will get bigger. Current record blue is 143 lbs out of VA. The sturgeons and alligator gar are the only 2 N American fishes to get bigger.
Attached is a pic of Freakles, along with his tank mates.Sany0085.jpg Sany0164.jpg SANY0098.JPG

#4 Guest_tbinchrist_*

Guest_tbinchrist_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

A short video of my flattie being fed

#5 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:53 AM

Really enjoyed the video. Nice looking tank set up and fish(all of them). Looks like the crappie likes shrimp too?
Thanks for sharing.

Steve.

#6 Guest_kutzor_*

Guest_kutzor_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:38 AM

That is so cool. I love Flatheads and he/she lookshappy to help you get rid of those worms. Thanks for posting.

#7 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Nice tank and beautifull fish!

#8 riverman1

riverman1
  • NANFA Guest
  • Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

Awesome video! Thanks

Reply to this topic