Cryptic Campostoma

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

Can anyone provide some clarity to the distribution of Campostoma species in the Midwest? From what I can gather (sensu Blum et. al. 2008), it appears Illinois has two species of Campostoma originally designated C. anomalum pullum (paraphyletic), but now treated as C. plubeum and C. pullum.

One sample of C. pullum comes from Stony Creek, a tributary of the Middle-Fork Vermilion River (Wabash). If that is the case, then are C. pullum distributed throughout the Wabash, and restricted from the rest of the Ohio, or are they sympatric with C. anomalum throughout the Ohio as well? The reason I ask is that it seems C. anomalum proper (C. a. anomalum) is found throughout the Ohio (save Cumberland and Tennessee drainages), yet C. pullum is found in the Wabash (at least within Illinois).

It also appears that Illinois has an additional species occurring in the ‘Plains’ area, also formerly referred to as C. a. pullum, but determined distinct from C. a. pullum (now C. pullum), and therefore elevated to C. plumbeum. However, the Illinois sample of C. plumbeum comes from a tributary of the upper Mississippi too. So, in Mississippi drainages throughout Illinois I can expect to find C. pullum and C. plumbeum, and in Ohio drainages, I can expect to find C. pullum and C. anomalum? I was thrown off by the common nomenclature, as C. plubeum is supposed to be distinct from the ‘Upper Mississippi and Northeastern Drainage’ clade (C. pullum), yet it technically comes from a tributary of the upper Mississippi (anything north of Cairo, Illinois – right?). If C. pullum and C. plubeum are not sympatric, then where is the line of demarcation in the Mississippi? I realize the Campostoma mess is just starting to be sorted out, and I'm sure a lot of this will be addressed in further papers.

Sorry for the pestering questions, however, I'm really trying to get as tight of a handle on Illinois Campostoma as I can (yeah, probably gonna be a really loose grip for awhile). Anyway, I'm attempting to do that by knowing the geographic distribution, since morphological characters are going to be near useless for these cryptically evolving species. I also have some questions about C. oligolepis, but I’ll hold off on those for now....

#2 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

I guess I'll just email the senior author and report back.

Edited by blakemarkwell, 31 January 2012 - 02:54 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users