Howdy from the Ozarks

17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hello all.

I'm a new NANFA member but long-time aquarist and general fish fanatic having kept various aquaria almost continually for over 50 years. I currently have a 1,000 gallon aquaponic system with hybrid bluegill, a 250 gallon sturgeon growout tank, a 125 gallon native fish tank, a 70 gallon Frontosa tank a 50 and a 29 gallon planted tropical tank and a 5 gallon pico-reef. I have bred several species including the production of hybrid tilapia (hornorum x mossambica) for aquaculture use. I'm currently researching paddlefish and their captive culture. I also have large and small outdoor ponds.

I live in the Ozark Mountains of NW Arkansas on the banks of the Little Buffalo river, largest tributary of the Buffalo National River. Nearly a mile of river runs through my property and I frequently explore, observe and collect there. I would enjoy meeting other fishianados in the area and joining up for collecting/observing trips in the Ozarks.

This forum is a tremendous resource and one which I have lurked in for some time. I thought it time I paid my dues and became a carp-carrying member. Like they say, "Seize the carp".

Gordon Watkins
Parthenon, AR

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Welcome to NANFA :)

Wow, you have a thousand gallon system? Can you post pictures of your tanks? That sounds amazing.

Edited by EricaWieser, 02 February 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#3 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

My aquaponic tank is a little difficult to get photos of but here's a description. It's a concrete vat 20' x 4' x 3' deep (actually closer to 1,500 gallons i guess) located beneath a slatted walkway and adjacent to a 20' x 8' x 1' deep gravel growbed. The vat has a vee shaped bottom where mulm accumulates and where submersible pumps sit. The pumps come on several times a day and flood the beds with water and solids. Water percolates through the gravel and gravity-flows back into the vat. I feed the fish, the fish feed the plants and the plants and gravel filter the water. I eat the fish and plants. I started out stocking with hybrid tilapia but now have hybrid bluegill. All is housed in a solar greenhouse attached to my home. My unheated 125 and 250 gal. tanks are located there as well.

I've written a couple of articles about my system and others for Growing Edge magazine which should be searchable on the 'net. I have photos somewhere of construction 12 years ago but they're pre-digital. If I can get some shots that show much useful I'll post them.

Thanks for asking.

Welcome to NANFA :)

Wow, you have a thousand gallon system? Can you post pictures of your tanks? That sounds amazing.

#4 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

Welcome...
All this sounds very interesting. I would much enjoy seeing and hearing more about your Bluegill system. You feed the fish, the fish feed the plants, the plants filter the water, and i reckon you eat the fish!
Sounds like something in Mother Earth News but it would make a great article for a future American Currents. Think about contributing that, thus updating your chemical and typesetting era account. :) Go digital, and in full color.
We had a NANFA convention in Little Rock a few years back, and several of us camped along the Buffalo and snorkeled. Arkansas Saddled Darter. There are a few NANFA members in AR so perhaps you can sync up with them,
I believe 2013 will be held just north of you in Cape G which will be convenient for you to attend.

So everything is in a greenhouse, and you got nearly a mile of Little Buffalo flowing through your land? Wooo doggies. I bet with an invite this summer several of us would enjoy an adventure visit!
And your playing with Sturgeon and Paddlefish too.
You sure have a nifty show and tell situation.

I have converted a 18 x 36 x 8' deep cement swimming pool into a native fish habitat with a 6' waterfall. Water is pulled through an iris, cattail, & cypress planted partioned gravel bed for filtration. Those and other plants in the deep end keep the water crystal clear, chemical free. I installed a live feed fish TV monitor to observe the natives during spring spawns... lots of fun to observe from the Lazy Boy recliner.

You really got something there and many of us would like to hear more. Im not too far away, across the mighty Mississippi and a 5 hour drive east.

No more lurking, tell us more Mr. LittleBuffalo.
:)

Being a new NANFA member you should have received the latest issue of AC by now, and it's a dandy in my opinion. Welcome to the Association.

Casper

#5 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

I got stuck on the 1 mile of river flowing through your property part and kinda blanked out on everything else :shock: .

Welcome to the forum

#6 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Y'all sound like my kind of folks - those who enjoy stomping around in streams, getting your faces wet and seeing what lurks under rocks.

I would be happy to host a collecting day along the Little Buffalo and would certainly benefit from the expertise y'all have to offer. I could use some pointers on seineing, something I haven't done as I am usually collecting alone, as well as help with ID, especially of the many darter species here as well as chubs and lots of "minnows".

Is there somewhere I can access a members list to see who lives where? I live at the end of nowhere and I would be surprised but excited to find NANFA members reasonably nearby.

I'm happy to discuss my aquaponic system in more detail but wonder if it would be more appropriate under a separate thread? Give me some feedback and I'll get it done.

Seize the carp!

Gordon

#7 Guest_LincolnUMike_*

Guest_LincolnUMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hello neighbor! I am a full time student on a limited budget, thus have not yet obtained the relatively cheap but still out of budget membership (I am 3 days late on my rent this month due to timing of financial aid). Currently live in central Missouri. Would love to visit sometime when my finances allow.

#8 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'm happy to discuss my aquaponic system in more detail but wonder if it would be more appropriate under a separate thread? Give me some feedback and I'll get it done.

Separate thread works. *nods*

#9 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

Inside the cover of your new American Currents, it lists state reps. Not sure if AR has one but you can contact Tom Watson, also inside the front cover, and he can provide contact info for AR and the neighboring state's members if you request.
My number is in the AC as the TN rep... why dont you give me a call this weekend?

Casper

#10 Guest_mywan_*

Guest_mywan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

Nice to see you here. Your so close to some family property in Arkansas that our paths may have even crossed, or perhaps with some of my family. My parents used to own the Pindal Quick Stop in the 90s. Been thinking of coming up there for a summer vacation.

#11 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Come on down when you get a chance but by all means, pay that rent!

Gordon

Hello neighbor! I am a full time student on a limited budget, thus have not yet obtained the relatively cheap but still out of budget membership (I am 3 days late on my rent this month due to timing of financial aid). Currently live in central Missouri. Would love to visit sometime when my finances allow.

#12 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Casper. I'll give you a call. I came across a member on the Photo forum from just up the road, IssacSzabo. Great photos of the Buffalo River too.

Gordon

Inside the cover of your new American Currents, it lists state reps. Not sure if AR has one but you can contact Tom Watson, also inside the front cover, and he can provide contact info for AR and the neighboring state's members if you request.
My number is in the AC as the TN rep... why dont you give me a call this weekend?

Casper

#13 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Pindall is about an hour from me and not far from the Buffalo Rivers Woolum access. If you head this way give a shout.

Gordon

Nice to see you here. Your so close to some family property in Arkansas that our paths may have even crossed, or perhaps with some of my family. My parents used to own the Pindal Quick Stop in the 90s. Been thinking of coming up there for a summer vacation.

#14 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

I'll start a new thread on Aquaponics on the Advanced Captive Care forum.

Gordon

Separate thread works. *nods*

#15 Guest_mywan_*

Guest_mywan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

Pindall is about an hour from me and not far from the Buffalo Rivers Woolum access. If you head this way give a shout.

Gordon

I will. Our property only has a couple miles of Buffalo River tributary running through it. On the far side of Pindal from you.

#16 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

Well, Gordon - it's safe to say you've captured everybody's attention! That setup sounds interesting to me too.

#17 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Welcome to NANFA Gordon! It's great to have another member from the Ozarks, and I'm looking forward to learning more about your projects.

#18 Guest_LittleBuffalo_*

Guest_LittleBuffalo_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

Thanks Isaac. Love your photos!

Welcome to NANFA Gordon! It's great to have another member from the Ozarks, and I'm looking forward to learning more about your projects.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users