Photo

Back to the Swamp

55 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

In 2002 NANFA Regional Link and again in 2003 NANFA Regional Link Return our then Georgia Regional Rep lead memorable trips to the Okefenokee Swamp. As we near the 10th anniversary of that first trip, I propose that we go...

backtotheswampsmall.jpg

I am going to be in the area and will be making a side trip to arrive in Waycross, GA on Thursday March 29th evening. Then on the Friday the 30th and Saturday the 31st doing a couple of fish trips. Likely a short trip to the area of Nashville, GA for Pteronotropis metallicus, the metallic shiner and another in Waycross for Elassoma okefenokee, the Okefenokee pygmy sunfish both of these at the historic type locality.

But I am also interested in re-visiting some of the locations from these past NANFA trips and collecting some fish... maybe some Okefenokees, L. omatta, F. cingulatus, F. lineolatus and many others. So if the first two (type locality) trips go well, we would end up staying in Folkston, GA on Friday night. Collect at the previous NANFA trip locations on Saturday. We could stay again in Folkston on Saturday night and use Sunday to either collect a little more or if there was interest take a swamp tour via boat (I am assuming they still rent boats there at the east entrance to the swamp), and travel home.

I mentioned this casually to a couple of people and had two or three that expressed interest. But I am willing to open this invitation up to all. Think about it, we have some time, but this is a great time to be down near the swamp (mostly before the worst of mosquito season). Hopefully some of y'all will com along.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_VicC_*

Guest_VicC_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

I hope you get some rain.

Gage at Fargo is at 7.6 cfs, which should average 650 cfs for Feb 5th.

Maybe the fish are just waiting for you to pull them out of the gator holes.

#3 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

In 2002 NANFA Regional Link and again in 2003 NANFA Regional Link Return our then Georgia Regional Rep lead memorable trips to the Okefenokee Swamp. As we near the 10th anniversary of that first trip, I propose that we go...

backtotheswampsmall.jpg

I am going to be in the area and will be making a side trip to arrive in Waycross, GA on Thursday March 29th evening. Then on the Friday the 30th and Saturday the 31st doing a couple of fish trips. Likely a short trip to the area of Nashville, GA for Pteronotropis metallicus, the metallic shiner and another in Waycross for Elassoma okefenokee, the Okefenokee pygmy sunfish both of these at the historic type locality.

But I am also interested in re-visiting some of the locations from these past NANFA trips and collecting some fish... maybe some Okefenokees, L. omatta, F. cingulatus, F. lineolatus and many others. So if the first two (type locality) trips go well, we would end up staying in Folkston, GA on Friday night. Collect at the previous NANFA trip locations on Saturday. We could stay again in Folkston on Saturday night and use Sunday to either collect a little more or if there was interest take a swamp tour via boat (I am assuming they still rent boats there at the east entrance to the swamp), and travel home.

I mentioned this casually to a couple of people and had two or three that expressed interest. But I am willing to open this invitation up to all. Think about it, we have some time, but this is a great time to be down near the swamp (mostly before the worst of mosquito season). Hopefully some of y'all will com along.

Michael

I may try to make this trip. I'll check mapquest and see if the trip is doable. I would love to explore around the Okefenokee. Also I need to check with my wife.

Harry Knaub

#4 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

I'm seriously considering this trip as well I have not collected in Georgia and even with our mild winter I'm getting fishing fever.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

I have been able to track down all of the original sites from the first two trips (with a little bit, well quite a bit) of help from Dustin. I also have complete fish lists of what they found there. So we have as much of a guarantee of success as you can have when you are fishin' (remember its not called catchin').

Posted Image
The two blue spots are the ones that I am going to hit first on Friday. Then we have all day Saturday and as much of Sunday as we want to hit as many of these spots as we need to to see the fish we want to see. Like Vic mentioned the water is low right now, so they are no longer renting the motorboats like this one we had the last time. So we will concentrate on hitting the fishing spots Looks like there are plenty of locations and plenty of fish to be seen.

Okefenokee Trip Map.jpg
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

I'm hoping to make the trip down but it would be nice to share the costs with someone else from up north. I'd be coming from eastern NY anybody interested up here or along the way? I'd likely leave early wed am travel at least 10 hrs get a room and finish the rest on Thursday. Head back Mon and Tues

#7 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

Mike, I'm not certain at this point that I can make it, but if I can line things up correctly, I would absolutely love to hitch a ride with you. Likely it's the only way I would be able to make it down there. Seems as though I am RIGHT along the way though :)

#8 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Mike, I'm not certain at this point that I can make it, but if I can line things up correctly, I would absolutely love to hitch a ride with you. Likely it's the only way I would be able to make it down there. Seems as though I am RIGHT along the way though :)

That would be great keep in touch.

#9 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

I am hoping to make this as well. I still have a few hurdles to cross but it's looking good. It would be good to get as many folks from the original trips back. I know some folks are less active now like Steven and Lamarr, but several of these guys are still around. I will do my best to disperse this announcement to the original folks so we might have a big get together again.

This was my first large collecting trip and I will always remember the kind welcome I received and the crash course on fish ID and habitat. This original trip is what got me involved in NANFA and it would be great if we could get some new guys along as well so that they may have the same experience I did.

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

If you bring your significant other, make sure they're aware of the many interesting snakes along the edges of the water. Mine had never seen that many baby mocassins before...

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

OK, we are about one month away... and I called an made my hotel reservation today... decided that we will stay at the Days Inn in Waycross for the weekend... centrally located, inexpensive ($45/night with my AAA card... and you can split that) and we can drive down and around the swamp very easily.

Come one, come all, who's ready to go Back to the Swamp?

#12 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Michael,
I know P. grandipinnis sites are not close by but do you know any sites near RT 75 north I might be able to hit if I head home that way? Looks like there may be spots west of RT 75 around Cordele and Unadilla.

#13 Guest_VicC_*

Guest_VicC_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

I know P. grandipinnis sites are not close by but do you know any sites near RT 75 north I might be able to hit if I head home that way? Looks like there may be spots west of RT 75 around Cordele and Unadilla.

http://fishesofgeorg...Fs/ptergran.pdf

#14 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

http://fishesofgeorg...Fs/ptergran.pdf

Thanks, yes I have looked at that map but like to get specific sites when possible especially if time is a factor. Maps such as this sometimes imply fish exist in a stream when they actually don't. They are handy when you have time for exploring though.

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

sent you the one site I have via email

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

OK, only two and a half weeks to go and I am trying to get a feel for who is really going to join us here...

Alejandro is coming down with me for sure... Dave, Dustin, John, Ken, Mike and Robert are all maybes... PM me or send an email so that we know who is coming and when... we can set up appropriate meeting times and places if folks are arriving at different times.

#17 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

I'm coming. Will be in GA by Thursday afternoon hoping to try some coastal collecting want some blennies, gobies and such for a 150 marine setup. Anyone know some sites for brackish and marine fish I'll be coming down 95 south. Anyone like to join me that would be great. Looking forward with the crazy weather and flooding up here I have not done any local sampling.

#18 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

I'm going to reserve a room soon so if anyone else would like to share a room and split the cost let me know.

#19 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

Chip and I are in and will be there Saturday. We'll either arrive Friday night or early Saturday morning depending on how many poeple will be there and where we will be meeting Saturday morning,

#20 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

I just heard about this (my bad) and I'm considering it. I'm also considering dipping down into Florida if I go. Anyone interested? It's not a deal breaker for me, just a sweetener. Please keep me posted on any emails. I'll subscribe to this thread. Swamp on! Thanks!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users