Seagreen Darters Spawning Behavior?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

I was fortunate enough to have Dustin show me around some spots here in SC this past weekend and we managed to catch a variety of species, including seagreen darters. Within 24 hours of them being in my tank I noticed this activity from them.

Is this their spawning behavior? I never saw actual eggs, though I did notice some sort of adhesive sack type thing that the blackbanded darters kept eating, so I'm assuming those might have been the eggs or something, they just didn't look like normal eggs. I need to move the blackbandeds to their own tank.

Anyway, just wanted to post a quick little video of the activity and see what ya'll thought.

Thanks!

#2 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Yes it is spawning behaviour. I have seen mine also start spawning which I didn't expect because of the water temps being high 40's low 50's. But come to think of it their fry are usually the first I will see. Nice video by the way.... :)

Edited by Ken, 22 February 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Yes, definitely. I hope you can manage to raise some fry.

#4 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

Thanks! The water temperature they came from was probably in the low to mid 50s or so, and my tanks are sitting in the mid 60s right now, so perhaps that was a trigger. I don't think I'm going to be able to get any fry from this, at least until the blackbanded darters are moved to a new home, which is in the works.

Thanks for the quick replies!

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Maybe you could stick the spawning darters in their own tank for a day and then put them back in the community tank? That would work too. My fry always got eaten when I left any darters at all (even the parents) in the spawning tank.

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Or leave all the fish where they are, siphon out the sand from the spawning corner into a bucket, add aeration & wait a week.
There's probably eggs stuck to the sand, or maybe even on the tank bottom if the sand is shallow.

#7 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

Awesome video! Congratulations on the spawn!

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users