My Native Fish

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

I managed to get out and collect this past weekend, under the direction of Dustin (Thanks, Dustin!). Here are a couple of the fish we caught in their new homes.

Photos in Order:
Male Everglades Pygmy Sunfish
Savannah Darter
Savannah Darter
Savannah Darter
Seagreen Darter
Lined Topminnow
Turquoise Darter
Turquoise Darter
Turquoise Darter
Blackbanded Darter

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Couple more:

Speckled Madton
Blackbanded Sunfish

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

Wow, that darter is really colored up! He looks great.

#4 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, from the time we caught him, he never lost his color.

I also meant to post this previously. I've got a webcam setup and I move it around from tank to tank occasionally, mostly on my 75 gal native community tank. Right now it's on that tank, focused on one side of the tank, where most of the darters hangout, especially the big male turquoise.

www.ustream.tv/channel/stevesnativefish

Enjoy!

#5 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Any trick to doing this?
I went to the site and stared at a blank window for several minutes, trying to find something to click. Do you have to register and then log in?

I might wanna try something similiar with my "Live Action" Fish TV camera... but for now it just goes to my TV.

I like those pics, good of Dustin to show you some nice SC fish. Nice catch diversity, love that Darter color.
That first pic shows a very streamlined, almost micro redhorse physique. Impressive Finnage.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by Casper, 22 February 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#6 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

You shouldn't have to register or log in to view it. I'm not sure why it's just a blank window. Maybe UStream requires some sort of plugin or updated flash player or something? I'm not quite sure. It may take a few moments to load, and probably will play an ad before the stream starts, but eventually it should load up. Shouldn't take long though. Maybe try loading up another stream on UStream and see if it's just my stream or if it's all of UStream that you're having issues with.

I had been talking to Dustin for awhile and we finally found a time that we were both available to get out and check some places out. I'm just now getting into collecting, so it was pretty cool of him to help me out and show me some spots and fish and teach me a few things. I am very appreciative.

#7 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Any trick to doing this?
I went to the site and stared at a blank window for several minutes, trying to find something to click. Do you have to register and then log in?

I tried it with the lastest version of firefox, java, and flash and it worked.

Nice blue lights.

Edited by EricaWieser, 22 February 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#8 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

Good to know it's working. Thanks, I run a small moonlight during the night, I try to keep it on a sunrise/sunset timeline.

#9 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

Trying again...
Still blank. I wish i could do some kind of screen capture to show you what i see, err... well what i don't see.
:)
I also note that it now says on the right side (REMOVED by sbtgrfan).
???
I simply use Microsoft XP's Internet Explorer IE. I will try it tonight on my home computer... it is Vista and also has Firefox on it.
( I despise computer difficulties. )

I saw that Dustin had expressed interest heading back to the Okefenokee in March. I re-read some accounts of that trip last night while researching Dick Stober's participation.
http://nanfa.org/regional.shtml
Scroll down to Georgia and you will see multiple trip reports.
Maybe SC folk could hook up and make the drive.

#10 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

They were quite active around 2:20AM last night while I was watching. Very enjoyable, thanks for sharing.

I also saw the message that read "REMOVED by sbtgrfan", but then after a few minutes it was able to load. I'm using Windows 7 and firefox.

#11 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

The "REMOVED by sbtgrfan" is part of the UStream chat for my channel. I was just testing it out. I think that the chat probably uses Java and the video uses flash. So if the chat loads but the video doesn't, you may have an outdated form of adobe flash player. That, or it may just not like IE, which is highly possible these days.

Thanks for the link Casper, very cool reads. I'm going to try to make it, but still got to work out my schedule.

#12 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

I can finally see it...
But WHY do all these software providers have issues, stubborn resentments, conflicts with each other. It is as if they refuse to cooperate or even acknowledge one another.
Here on my home computer, MS Vista, using IE it will not work as neither does my MS XP IE at my studio. MICROSOFT all.
YET...
When i use Google Chrome ( installed by my 12 year old because "she likes it better" ) instead of the standard IE i use for everything, i can see your tank!
???????

Anyway... it's pretty cool though most of your fish are sleeping as i should be.
So you are sending out this live feed 24/7 of your tank using your internet connection at no cost other than your regular internet monthly charge? If so i am going to have to study more on that... in hopes of making a live feed from my cement pond / home to my studio / design computer.

#13 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

That's because IE especially is intended to steer you to commercial content and be tracked along the way, although Chrome isn't really better for that. They aren't working for you, in short.

#14 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

That's because IE especially is intended to steer you to commercial content and be tracked along the way, although Chrome isn't really better for that. They aren't working for you, in short.

This is true; different browsers are made by different people with different intentions. For example firefox is made by the users. Unlike the other browsers it's a nonprofit and you can submit your own code if you want to add something to it. A second example, Safari is a browser made by Mac, a company that likes you to use their products and their products only. For some reason whenever I go to internet radio on Safari it won't play... (it wants you to buy iTunes).

I like your fish video feed, Sbtgrfan. Your fish are very active :)
Maybe could you post the url hyperlink on the NANFA facebook page? I bet other people would want to see it, too.

Edited by EricaWieser, 24 February 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#15 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

These days it seems as though IE is far inferior to Firefox and Chrome and is slowly dying out as Netscape Navigator did years ago. They all can't cooperate because they all want to be better than each other. Personally, I've found Chrome to be very user friendly and simple so it's easy to use. But because it's still "somewhat" new (at least newer than Firefox and IE) it's not 100% supported by everything yet, so Firefox in theory is probably the way to go right now. I could also go into more detail about the technical aspects (CPU usage...etc) but that's another debate.

Casper, I'm glad you can finally see it. I am sending it out almost 24/7, as long as my internet/computer is up and running and I'm not doing maintenance on the tank (I shut it off temporarily for that). The only cost other than the internet is the cost of the webcam and the cost of the USB Male-to-Female extension cable to run across my room. UStream, along with some other live video streaming websites are completely free. All you need is a webcam and you're set. It's actually very simple. You can even make the video feeds private if you wanted, so you have to have a password to watch it. If you need any sort of help with it, I'd be happy to offer what assistance I can.

Erica, I may do that. Surprisingly, as much as I am on Facebook, I don't think I'm a member of the page yet. I'll have to check into it.

#16 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Just wanted to throw up a couple more pics I snapped tonight.
Couple of darters chowing down on some bloodworms
Posted Image
Posted Image

Seagreen Darter
Posted Image

Sawcheek Darter
Posted Image

Yellowfin Shiners
Posted Image

Blackbanded Sunfish
Posted Image

Full Tank Shot of my 75 Gallon. Not the prettiest tank, but I like it.
Posted Image

#17 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

I like it. One thing Im glad to see since joining the forum is Theres no tacky & cosmetic looking tanks. Its all au naturale.

#18 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

I agree, I think your tank looks very nice... I too like the natural... and I like the tree root overhang look... I know we lots of time try to recreate the riffle... but there are a lot of fish... like those yellowfins, this time of year, that are hanging out in the deeper slack water for at least part of the day.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#19 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

That's a good looking tank, I like the driftwood overhand. Your darters are really nice too.

#20 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

Thanks. I've always loved the natural look. I've never had success with live plants though, but I'm still learning and trying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users