Stream Flow for Kentucky Shiners and Darters

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AndyFrink_*

Guest_AndyFrink_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the intensity of stream current for shiners and darters. I understand that they are riverfish and therefore require currents, but I am not sure about how intense the currents we are replicating are when compared to the natural environment. For example, would these currents be considered a slow moving stream or a rapid current. There are three reasons that I am seeking this data: 1) because I want to have the correct stream flow in my tank, 2) because I am doing research about putting live plants in my tank and I want to know what species will be appropriate (assuming stream flow is important for plants), and 3) I would like to considering putting something about various flows of streams in my educational display.

For more information about my tank: http://forum.nanfa.o...__20#entry96833

Thanks!
Andy

#2 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Many of the darters are right into it. A few prefer less of a current. Todd provides some flow numbers with diagrams on the thread about competition and partitioning referring to darters here:

http://forum.nanfa.o...d-partitioning/

I believe these are from Ohio, but with so much variation within and between streams it might be hard to get any state specific numbers.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Like Steve said, current velocity preferences vary widely among darters. Some species like redlines prefer currents of 0.5 m/s, while snubnoses are happy at about 0.1 m/s.

#4 Guest_AndyFrink_*

Guest_AndyFrink_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

Alright, I'll have to do some calculations and see exactly where my tank flow is going to be at. I think that some of the plant species that are marked as being "slow moving stream or still water" might be able to survive in my tank given they are placed in good locations and have plenty of substrate.

I guess the next step for me would be to look into how plants respond to current. Although, the best way might just be to get some plants and throw them in the tank to see how they fare... since they are just plants after all. I think smaller grass/moss species are sitll going to be the most appropriate, especially if they are combined with some driftwood.

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

Hi Andy,

I've been reading your topics with interest. It sounds like you are putting a lot of thought and effort into creating a really attractive and educational display. I have a few questions for you:

Are you trying to recreate a particular habitat?

If so, what habitat?

Larger and smaller streams are rather different in both their flora and fauna. I've stomped in a lot of creeks in KY, and I think these observations will hold in most of the state:

Headwater streams that support dace, and certain darters (especially the Catonotus species and the orangethroat group) have many marginal plants (horsetails, cardinal flower, arrowhead, cresses, sedges, many mosses and liverworts). Ludwigia palustris and watercress may grow in the water in sunnier areas.

Medium-sized swift rocky streams, which support the most darter and minnow species, tend to have few submerged vascular plants, except in pool areas that often have Ludwigia palustris, Najas sp., etc. Aquatic mosses are the major submerged plants in the higher flow areas. Emergent plants, especially Justicia americana, are common, but these are probably too large and coarse to look good in a 75 gallon tank.

Large streams and small rivers are most likely to have hornwort, vals, and other large submerged plants. There are fewer darters and minnows in these streams, but they include some neat ones like many of the Percina and Nothonotus species.

#6 Guest_AndyFrink_*

Guest_AndyFrink_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

Sorry for leaving this forum dead for so long, I've been very busy getting the tank together and figuring out all of the logistics of getting supplies and coordinating donations. Its been nearly a 100% equipment scramble for me so far in terms of difficulties. I'm just now getting to the point where I can start worrying about looking for a supply of plants and other living members of the aquarium. As for right now, my brief list of plants is:
  • Echinodorus
  • Bacopa Caroliniana
  • Podastomum
  • Vallisneria
  • Various types of Sagittoria (graminea and others)
  • Aquatic mosses (I'm VERY interested in these, I think they'd look GREAT growing on rocks and drift wood)
  • Various species of liverworts
I'm going to talk to my LFS because they get all of their plants from local sellers and probably know a lot of great places that might be willing to donate some plants on their next shipment. Also, if anyone has experience with cultivating native plant species (both the location and legality) that would be helpful.

My tank curently has ~3 inches of top soil that I dug up with ~2 inch various river rock cap.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users