Hello from Florida!

26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_crwnpt_*

Guest_crwnpt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hello all! Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Name's Charlie. I just moved down to Florida from northwest Montana about 6 months ago and am loving it. Very excited to actually get out and look for stuff down here. I have kept aquariums for years, but never kept any natives and am looking forward to giving it a go. I am limited on space to actually put tanks, so nano-types are going to be the order of the day. I'm sure I will be asking all types of questions and would like to thank you all in advance. :D

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

Ah, nano Florida fish. My favorite are Elassoma gilberti and okefenokee. They do such a cute wiggle waggle dance with their fins :)

Here is the most recent video from my tank of Elassoma gilberti:

#3 Guest_VicC_*

Guest_VicC_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

Yes, Nano freshwater. From your area of Florida.

Best:
Heterandria formosa
Elassoma evergladei

Can do if you are careful:
Jordanella floridae
Lucania goodei
Gambusia holbrooki

Pushing your luck:
Enneacanthus gloriosus

Brackish water:
Cyprinodon variegatus
Lucania parva
Trinectes maculatus

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Name's Charlie. I just moved down to Florida from northwest Montana about 6 months ago and am loving it. Very excited to actually get out and look for stuff down here. I have kept aquariums for years, but never kept any natives and am looking forward to giving it a go. I am limited on space to actually put tanks, so nano-types are going to be the order of the day. I'm sure I will be asking all types of questions and would like to thank you all in advance. :D

Welcome Charllie... you should join us on our trip up in the Okefenokee...

http://forum.nanfa.o...k-to-the-swamp/

Not sure what you mean by "nano"... everybodies got different definitions for small... but we are going to see Leptolucania omatta and Elassoma okefenokee both great small fish... and also a few different Fundulus... lineolatus, cingulatus, chysotus, that do pretty good in small tanks (my wife had F.cingulatus in a 6 gallon tank for yeras)...

Anyway, you are more than welcome to join us... and again, welcome to NANFA.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_VicC_*

Guest_VicC_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

http://www.aka.org/s.../pages/fcg.html

FLORIDA COLLECTING GUIDE
3rd EDITION

#6 Guest_crwnpt_*

Guest_crwnpt_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the welcomes!

As far as nanos go, I'm talking sub-10 gallons. As small as possible is really the best option for me. I've done lots of planted tanks in the past, all low to medium tech(no co2 or crazy lighting) and I think heavily planted nanos will be right up to speed.

The ellasomas and heterandrias definitely have caught my eye, and I will probably be trying to get my hands on some of them in the near future.

Michael, thanks for the invite to the swamp, but unfortunately, times are a bit lean for us right now(my wife is starting a new business) so me taking time off isn't really an option. Maybe next time??

#7 Guest_mneilson_*

Guest_mneilson_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

FLORIDA COLLECTING GUIDE
3rd EDITION

I would highly recommend picking up a copy of this: it's a great resource.

#8 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

I would highly recommend picking up a copy of this: it's a great resource.

FLORIDA COLLECTING GUIDE
3rd EDITION

How much does it cost? The price isn't listed on the webpage.

#9 Guest_crwnpt_*

Guest_crwnpt_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

I tried emailing him a few weeks ago about this and haven't gotten a response back. I stumbled on it doing some research about native(or otherwise) florida killis. From what I can find it runs about 30 bucks. If anyone knows of another source for it, that would be super helpful.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

There is no other source. This was developed by NANFA members and is fantastic. Charlie will get back to you.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_crwnpt_*

Guest_crwnpt_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Excellent. I kind of figured as much. I know how life gets sometimes.

Am I right about the price though? I thought I remember reading somewhere that someone paid about that much for it. Some killi board or something.

#12 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

Yes, probably on a killie board, Charlie and the others who contributed to this are also active in the American Killifish Association. If you want to know where to find, say, Fundulus escambiae, it's in this book.

#13 Guest_crwnpt_*

Guest_crwnpt_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

I just want some pointers on what I might find etc. etc. I've never done the native fish thing and am truly more impressed with them than the standard tropicals. And the variety down here versus Montana is almost mind boggling.

#14 Guest_VicC_*

Guest_VicC_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

oops

Edited by VicC, 10 March 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#15 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

I just want some pointers on what I might find etc. etc.

The Peterson's Field Guide (2nd edition is just out) is indispensible. Under $20.

This keyed guide is good, except that it's a bit dated and doesn't include all of the current Pteronotropis species (closest in general appearance to Pt. hypselopterus) nor Elassoma gilberti. None of those are in your immediate area though.

The Florida (Fish &) Wildlife Commission's website used to have fish species lists that included all the small, non-game species. Can't find it anymore.

#16 Guest_crwnpt_*

Guest_crwnpt_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hey Vic, why oops??

Doug, which Petersons? Is it a general freshwater fish guide or "non-gamefish" specific? That key is nice as well. Thanks for the input.

#17 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Hey Vic, why oops??

Doug, which Petersons? Is it a general freshwater fish guide or "non-gamefish" specific? That key is nice as well. Thanks for the input.

This is the newest edition -- http://amzn.com/0547242069

#18 Guest_crwnpt_*

Guest_crwnpt_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Thanks Drew. I'm gonna have to pick up a copy for sure.

#19 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

This is the newest edition -- http://amzn.com/0547242069

Correct ! 2nd Edition, 2011, white cover. (Green cover = 1st edition, 1991)

I clicked on the link and Amazon told me "You purchased this item on June 1, 2011." Geez, the internet never forgets. $14.28 each then, which I thought was outstanding. A little cheaper now. I bought two, one for the field and one for the house.

#20 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

That is an excellent book and a must-have when out collecting.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users