Blackworm zoonosis to humans

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ignatz_*

Guest_ignatz_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

Is anyone aware of any pathogens carried by blackworms that are of significant health risk to humans? if the studies havn't been done, it'd be great if somebody with lab facilities could do some basic culturing at least of the water in which they're stored. I ask because they're frequently stored in open containers such as "blackworm keepers" in the fridge, (much to the consternation of at least some of our significant others) and because it seems like whenever I end up working with them for a while I get sick if I get the least bit sloppy with sanitation. They seem easiest to handle with bare fingers, but I think it's time to start using plastic forceps or some other tool - suggestions much appreciated. Of course, it could be my siphoning those old (as in a year) canister filters I have that refuse to do the job on their own. Nothing like a mouthful of fish poop soup to make you consider a different hobby.

The way these things smell when the water doesn't get changed for a day...there's just got to be something evil in there. I'm considering the purchase of a small refrigerator to keep these in to keep them, midge larvae, etc. away from human food.

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

Of course, it could be my siphoning those old (as in a year) canister filters I have that refuse to do the job on their own. Nothing like a mouthful of fish poop soup to make you consider a different hobby.

It is unnecessary to start the siphon with your mouth. Here is the technique I chose to use, which involves putting your thumb over the groundward end and filling the tube with water before then putting the tankward end of the tube underwater and the groundward end of the tube in the place where the water's going to go and lastly letting go of your thumb.

Video demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0UguN0szXY

Edited by EricaWieser, 14 March 2012 - 06:23 AM.

#3 Guest_ignatz_*

Guest_ignatz_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Erica, a good technique but I've never been able to get it to work with my now much hated Eheims. The motors get old quick, and just won't keep pulling through the fllter. I'll keep trying your technique and variations on the same...but ultimately I'm going to start building my own canisters that will kick Eheim's Chinese-made butt. It really won't be difficult, given how low a bar they've set.

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

I have kept blackworms in my kitchen fridge for ~ 20 years and my family has had no worm-related illness or allergy problems that I'm aware of. Dying blackworms are of course a breeding ground for nasty bacteria and fungi, just like any other rotting food in your fridge. You need to rinse and change their water to keep them healthy. I did get an apparent Mycobacterium infection in my thumb several years ago, which I think came from siphoning a tank with Myco-infected fish. The infection was in the exact spot that I use to control siphon flow. I have seen fish with Myco-like lesions in local fish stores, and dont have any reason to think it came from blackworms. The worms I buy are cultured in fish-free ponds using aquaculture feed. I would not recommend using blackworms harvested as a byproduct from fish-farms or fed animal waste.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

I have kept blackworms in my kitchen fridge for ~ 20 years and my family has had no worm-related illness or allergy problems that I'm aware of.

I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_ignatz_*

Guest_ignatz_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

Yes, the Princess Bride. I got the reference, surprisingly.
Maybe having blackworms around for the first couple of months is like spending the first week in India with the runs, you have to go through it and replace your gut flora with the local stuff and you're no longer bothered by it...until you get that mango lassi loaded with amoebas happily doing the backstroke. I'm wondering what might just incidentally be in that batch bought from the last remaining (and corner cutting) LFS around here, where they're so negligent that they sometimes sell me backs of grey slime and tell me that they were in just two days ago. Again, there's got to be something "interesting" in there, and I was just wondering if somebody with a lab might have run a few cultures. Just don't do this at home, kids...
I've already bought a little fridge at the local salvage joint, going to play it safe from now on.

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Ya think frozen bloodworms are any safer? Loads of pathogenic orgs survive freezing, and bloodworms are grown in some nasty stuff. True, i've had continuous exposure to fish tank grunge and herp poop since age 6, so I may have some immunological adaptation.

Edited by gerald, 15 March 2012 - 10:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users