Field Guide Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:58 AM

Just a couple quick questions from the newbie...

More than a couple folks have recommended Peterson's Field Guide to North American Fishes as a good resource. Does anyone else have a suggetion or a favorite? Also it was mentioned that Peterson's may be coming out with a new addition this year but I was unable to locate any info on-line, anyone know for sure?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:27 PM

More than a couple folks have recommended Peterson's Field Guide to North American Fishes as a good resource. Does anyone else have a suggetion or a favorite? Also it was mentioned that Peterson's may be coming out with a new addition this year but I was unable to locate any info on-line, anyone know for sure?

Word on the street is that Larry Page and Brooks Burr are working on a second edition, which is good because the original came out in the early '90s. You could also check regional books, that have the advantage of being focused on your area.

#3 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:42 AM

Seems no one knows the answer to that one Scottefontay!!

#4 Guest_AC-Editor_*

Guest_AC-Editor_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:43 AM

According to Brooks Burr's presentation at the 2006 NANFA Convention, the next edition of the Peterson Field Guide is due out in 2008, although this site says 2007:

http://www.flmnh.ufl...fieldguide.html

Chris Scharpf

Seems no one knows the answer to that one Scottefontay!!

#5 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:55 PM

I wouldn't let the possibility of a new version coming out in a year or so stop anyone from buying the current version; it's a really remarkable guide that will suffice for 99% of the things that folks are likely to see. When it first came out it acquired the nickname "New Testament" among many ichthyologists (with the "Old Testament" being Lee et al. 1980, Atlas of North American Freshwater Fishes.). These two books have done more to promote the study of North American freshwater fishes than any others. I've gone through at least three copies, but my field guides tend to have rather short half-lives - they get dropped in mud or wet or otherwise abused. You can likely find a used copy (sans mud) via Bookfinder or other used book search engine for cheap.

Cheers,
Dave

According to Brooks Burr's presentation at the 2006 NANFA Convention, the next edition of the Peterson Field Guide is due out in 2008, although this site says 2007:

http://www.flmnh.ufl...fieldguide.html

Chris Scharpf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users