Edge of Range effect

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

I heard of this a few times, what is the edge of range effect?

When I first heard of it was when I had the silly idea that creek chubs east and west of the appalachians are different species.

Though not impossible (New York City has a unique leopard frog species) I soon discovered the color differences are not linked to those in size and habitat. Both silver and brown creek chubs occur together in the same streams.

Plus I thought edge of range was silly as I noticed species assemblages in different parts of a range as the same. But I was thinking locally not geographically.

So two questions.

First is what is the edge of range effect?

and second is Could the fact that creek chubs in eastern new england are small and limited to smaller streams and fallfish are everywhere. While west of the appalachians fallfish are in the larger rivers and creek cubs dominate medium to large streams and grow large be linked to the fact that they deal with a whole different range of predators, prey, and competitors?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

"Edge of range effect" is often invoked to explain why a species might be imperiled at the extremities of its range, where it might be minimally well adapted and face competition from other species while the species is considered to be secure in most of its range.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Yes lots of species occupy different habitats in different parts of their range, due to both influences of others species and physical habitat differences. Many fish and mussels that occupy both streams and lakes in the northern US and Canada do not survive in lakes farther south. Another thread awhile ago we were talking about banded darters - how they are "everywhere" generalists in the north and much more habitat-specific in the south.

and second is Could the fact that creek chubs in eastern new england are small and limited to smaller streams and fallfish are everywhere. While west of the appalachians fallfish are in the larger rivers and creek cubs dominate medium to large streams and grow large be linked to the fact that they deal with a whole different range of predators, prey, and competitors?

Not silly at all .... it might or might not be "true" but it's a resonable question to ponder.

the silly idea that creek chubs east and west of the appalachians are different species.

Edge of range populations may also be important to long-term conservation, in light of climate change. These are often the bold explorers willing to try new habitat extremes, or the hardy ancient remnants that survived past changes.

"Edge of range effect" is often invoked to explain why a species might be imperiled at the extremities of its range, where it might be minimally well adapted and face competition from other species while the species is considered to be secure in most of its range.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Could the fact that creek chubs in eastern new england are small and limited to smaller streams and fallfish are everywhere. While west of the appalachians fallfish are in the larger rivers and creek cubs dominate medium to large streams and grow large be linked to the fact that they deal with a whole different range of predators, prey, and competitors?

I didn't know fallfish were west of the Appalachians; I thought they were pretty much an Atlantic Slope thing. In any case, out here in TN we have no fallfish but we do have plenty of creek chubs- big ones, too- in small creeks. Creek chubs pop up now and again in mid-sized streams but certainly aren't common there; Nocomis chubs are the main big-mouthed cyprinid in those streams.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users