Cover for stock tank?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

I have a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank in my basement.

Can anyone suggest a good cover to keep water evaporation down?

Thanks

I have a longnose gar in the tank

#2 Guest_crwnpt_*

Guest_crwnpt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Plexiglass(acrylic) should be fine, although it does have a tendency to discolor with age. Sheets are available in a reasonable variety of sizes at the big home improvement stores and it is fairly easy to cut to size and shape with a razor and straight edge. Just score it once or twice and snap it over the edge of a table. Only works for straight cuts though.

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

The acrylic sheet is definitely the best answer. This is just a second thing that you could also do.
Last week I bought an 8 foot by 4 foot piece of styrofoam from Home Depot for $12. It was easy to cut with a boxcutter. The sheet of plexiglass I once bought with the intention of turning into a breeding tank still sits here with the blueprints taped to it, uncut, because I don't own any power tools. I would say have something better than a boxcutter if you intend to cut through acrylic *nods*.

Edited by EricaWieser, 04 April 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#4 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Thank you

I will look into the Plexiglass and I have stuff to cut it

#5 Guest_crwnpt_*

Guest_crwnpt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

The thin sheets cut very easily with a box knife, but anything thicker than probably 1/4 inch would definitely give you trouble unless you had heavier duty tools. My only experience with cutting it myself was with thin(around 1/8 inch) stock, so I don't have too much input for thicker stuff. But the thin stuff works great for tank lids etc.

And you are welcome and good luck!

Edited by crwnpt, 05 April 2012 - 10:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users