• Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Maryland puts gift card bounty on 'fish from hell'

http://www.foxnews.c...fish-from-hell/

#2 Guest_crwnpt_*

Guest_crwnpt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

I like the fact that they used a photo of a dead, dessicated fish for the picture with the caption "this fish is even meaner than it looks"

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

I hope the bowfin of Maryland don't suffer from misidentification. :(

#4 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

I hope the bowfin of Maryland don't suffer from misidentification. :(

from http://www.dnr.state.../bass/index.asp.

Here is another version of the story for those that can't deal with reading anything on Fox News : http://www.dnr.state...-Snakehead-Fish

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

Bowfin are quite uncommon in Maryland, although it is not entirely out of the question for them to be found in the same place. I would say a strong majority of fisherman know what a snakehead looks like, and doesn't, from the media and PR blitz of the last decade plus.

#6 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Hallelujah, this gives me a happy holiday beginning; Im really glad the Maryland DNR is taking the Snakehead invasion seriously , much Kudos to all those involved in the research, controll and eradication of the snakehead on the eastern seaboard!

#7 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

...eradication of the snakehead on the eastern seaboard!

Won't happen.

Usil

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

Won't happen.

Usil

Probably not totally, but like world peace, the perfect pizza, or convincing your wife of the need for just one more tank, we have to keep striving to reach important goals.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hallelujah, this gives me a happy holiday beginning; Im really glad the Maryland DNR is taking the Snakehead invasion seriously , much Kudos to all those involved in the research, controll and eradication of the snakehead on the eastern seaboard!

Gimme me a break! These snakeheads may be non-native but they do not upset the ecosystems which has plenty of non-native sportfish and forage fish anyways. I do not see any research papers saying that snakeheads has negative impacts on the "natives" of Potomac River systems. Personally this bounty idea is a waste of time as it is too late. Funny thing is that there are largemouth bass swimming in snakeheads' native home ranges in Asia.

Recently there are some new articles about snakeheads revealed that these non-native snakeheads do not have any negative impacts on the ecosystems. In short words, snakehead is so over-hyped by the media.

#10 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Even in Louisiana, where bowfin are commonly eaten and are even regulated, we get multiple calls a year about snakeheads which always (so far) turn out to be bowfin. We have yet to see a real snakehead, but many bowfin have been sacrificed in the hunt... I have a feeling many bowfin will be sacrificed in Maryland in the name of killing snakeheads. In the end, neither fish is in danger of being eradicated.

#11 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Recently there are some new articles about snakeheads revealed that these non-native snakeheads do not have any negative impacts on the ecosystems. In short words, snakehead is so over-hyped by the media.

Most of these looked at largemouth bass populations, themselves an invasive species in the Potomac. Overall long-term impacts may be much more difficult to quantify...

Given the rate of spread in MD/VA, I'll be amazed if those Arkansas snakeheads don't cross the Louisiana border within a couple years.

Read the fine print on the bounty. It's essentially a lottery -- not worth planning a vacation around...

#12 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Yeah, as far as snakeheads go in Louisiana, it's most likely not a matter of if, but when. We also have the same feeling in the Calcasieu and the Sabine regarding silver and bighead carp. We are on the front lines expecting multiple invasions at any moment. In the six parishes I work, we have two crews that go out and spray herbicide just to keep the invasive plants somewhat under control. We'll never, ever get rid of them.

THis snakehead thing is a mark recapture study, and hopefully they'll get some good data from it. It's misleading to say that hook-and-line fishermen will somehow thwart this invasion. That's about the least effective method imaginable. Just another instance of fisheries management being a strange bastard child of sociology and fisheries science, though.

#13 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Honesty, they are just wasting their time

Most of these looked at largemouth bass populations, themselves an invasive species in the Potomac. Overall long-term impacts may be much more difficult to quantify...

Given the rate of spread in MD/VA, I'll be amazed if those Arkansas snakeheads don't cross the Louisiana border within a couple years.

Read the fine print on the bounty. It's essentially a lottery -- not worth planning a vacation around...

To be fair, there are LOTS of nonnative sportfish species in the Potomac and the Potomac ecosystem are so heavily altered that we don't know what the actual Potomac ecosystem looks like before we start to fooling around. In short words, most people could care less about the ecosystems as they are really focus on their fishery. In fact there are some studies that blue/flathead catfish (both nonnative species of Potomac) has negative impacts on Potomac "ecosystem" than northern snakehead.

Funny thing is that Japan trying to get rid of largemouth bass and bluegill which threatening to snakehead's survival in Japan waters...

#14 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

This is a reply I wrote from a previous board discussion on snakeheads, I dont like any non-native species in an ecosystem whether theyre American or not (theres always somekind of impact). " Redbreast sunnies and Bluespotted sunnies are native to the Potomac, since I had read earlier that Snakeheads are mainly eating Topminnows and Sunfish in studies done in the Potomac, I suppose we should be immediately worried about the biomass reductions of those natives in relation to the biomass increase in the Northern Snakeheads. I am still worried about the Northern Snakeheads ability to move to areas containing threatened or endangered fish (especially Centrarchids and topminnows since thats what gut content analysis seems to be saying they eat the most of). On the map it dosent look like they are too far from the distribution areas of the Roanoke Bass,Mud Sunfish and Blackbanded sunfishs in Virginia and New Jersey.....I am hoping that the states of Maryland and Virginia's controll measures can contain them before that happens."
P.S. In Japan its not the native snakeheads which are being decimated by largemouth bass and Bluegill its a type of bitterling and some minnows.

Honesty, they are just wasting their time
To be fair, there are LOTS of nonnative sportfish species in the Potomac and the Potomac ecosystem are so heavily altered that we don't know what the actual Potomac ecosystem looks like before we start to fooling around. In short words, most people could care less about the ecosystems as they are really focus on their fishery. In fact there are some studies that blue/flathead catfish (both nonnative species of Potomac) has negative impacts on Potomac "ecosystem" than northern snakehead.

Funny thing is that Japan trying to get rid of largemouth bass and bluegill which threatening to snakehead's survival in Japan waters...

#15 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

I agree, I should have stated "controlled" instead of eliminated. Thanks Joe.

Probably not totally, but like world peace, the perfect pizza, or convincing your wife of the need for just one more tank, we have to keep striving to reach important goals.

#16 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

This is a reply I wrote from a previous board discussion on snakeheads, I dont like any non-native species in an ecosystem whether theyre American or not (theres always somekind of impact). " Redbreast sunnies and Bluespotted sunnies are native to the Potomac, since I had read earlier that Snakeheads are mainly eating Topminnows and Sunfish in studies done in the Potomac, I suppose we should be immediately worried about the biomass reductions of those natives in relation to the biomass increase in the Northern Snakeheads. I am still worried about the Northern Snakeheads ability to move to areas containing threatened or endangered fish (especially Centrarchids and topminnows since thats what gut content analysis seems to be saying they eat the most of). On the map it dosent look like they are too far from the distribution areas of the Roanoke Bass,Mud Sunfish and Blackbanded sunfishs in Virginia and New Jersey.....I am hoping that the states of Maryland and Virginia's controll measures can contain them before that happens."
P.S. In Japan its not the native snakeheads which are being decimated by largemouth bass and Bluegill its a type of bitterling and some minnows.

Well I think you are a little carried with "non-natives" species in the ecosystems since these days of being pure ecosystems are long gone and there are LOTS of altered ecosystems full of non-native gamefish species that everyone wanted in their waterways. The sunfish inside the snakehead's stomaches were mostly bluegill and pumpkinseeds. Also snakeheads walking on the land is just a myth as it is already dunked by many experts, included the researchers on the so-called invasive snakehead of Potomac River systems. I am not concerned about snakeheads eating roanoke bass, mud sunfish and blackbanded sunfish...after all there are predators that eating these sunfish as well. Honesty you are a TOO little carried about the non-native species in the ecosystems and should accept the snakehead as a part of the ecosystems.

P.S the snakeheads of Japan are actually decimated by largemouth bass and bluegills, there are some papers about that.

#17 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

butch Im sorry but I do not agree, in many areas non-natives have extirpated native fish species (lake malawi in Africa, gatun lake in Panama, several species of pupfish in the American southwest), even though Florida now has non-native boa constrictors along with native alligators in the everglades I still wouldnt want to see Komodo dragons introduced. Joe.

Well I think you are a little carried with "non-natives" species in the ecosystems since these days of being pure ecosystems are long gone and there are LOTS of altered ecosystems full of non-native gamefish species that everyone wanted in their waterways. The sunfish inside the snakehead's stomaches were mostly bluegill and pumpkinseeds. Also snakeheads walking on the land is just a myth as it is already dunked by many experts, included the researchers on the so-called invasive snakehead of Potomac River systems. I am not concerned about snakeheads eating roanoke bass, mud sunfish and blackbanded sunfish...after all there are predators that eating these sunfish as well. Honesty you are a TOO little carried about the non-native species in the ecosystems and should accept the snakehead as a part of the ecosystems.

P.S the snakeheads of Japan are actually decimated by largemouth bass and bluegills, there are some papers about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users