Pic of the Ouananiche.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CatWhat_*

Guest_CatWhat_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

Today I caught a Ouananiche in one of my home made minnow traps. I was surprised that they would go into the trap. It was a catch and release as I was just testing the area to see whay I could catch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

What species of salmon is that?

#3 Guest_CatWhat_*

Guest_CatWhat_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

They would be an Atlantic land locked salmon. Though they can even be caught in ponds that are directly connected to the ocean. I'm not sure of their exact genetics, as they resemble trout a good bit. They are sort of a pest fish as they out compete the other trout species and they are not that good eating. As the summer comes they will turn more silverly.

#4 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Looks like a brook trout to me (vermiculations on the back, white leading edge on the anal fin followed by black)

#5 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

Looks like a brook trout to me (vermiculations on the back, white leading edge on the anal fin followed by black)

Same here and I raise them.

#6 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

They would be an Atlantic land locked salmon. Though they can even be caught in ponds that are directly connected to the ocean. I'm not sure of their exact genetics, as they resemble trout a good bit. They are sort of a pest fish as they out compete the other trout species and they are not that good eating. As the summer comes they will turn more silverly.

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon are considered pests? around here they are managed as game fish in the larger lakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users