7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

Cinco de Mayo, Five Fishy activities for May 5

1) See FISH Folk Art.

Bebo.jpg

Saturday Morning, Dowdy Park, Summerville Georgia.
Howard Finster Folk Art Festival. Free. May 5 - 6.
Peruse outsider folk art by the likes of Bebo, Finster, Shaking Ray Levi's and
others.
Seine the parkside creek, and perhaps setup a temporary 10 gallon aquarium for public
display.

http://www.finstersp...ns.org/festival

http://web.me.com/be.../Portfolio.html

2) Dipnet FISH in Paradise.

HF-Fish.JPG

HF-Fishhead.JPG

Take a shuttle ride to Howard Finster's Paradise Garden and dipnet the swampy
spring flow.

3) Eat FISH Tacos.

Two Fish Tacos.jpg

Celebrate Cinco de Mayo cuisine at a local Mexican restaurant.

4) Visit Big FISH.

ECO.jpg

Visit ECO, Rome - Floyd County's River Center.
( ECO = Etowah - Coosa - Oostanaula river systems )
45 minutes south to Rome, Georgia.
See large and small fish in native aquariums at the former water treatment plant
turned ECO nature center.

http://www.romefloyd...92/Default.aspx

5) Seine FISH.

SeaSerpent.JPG

Siene critters at the Sea Serpent spring fed pond. Private Lake, low head dam and stream.
Near Summerville.

I plan on driving down Friday, May 4 and re-scout the area. I will also stay
Saturday night and then seine, snorkel and explore the area Sunday as well. There
is a Lake Sturgeon Hatchery nearby, but it will likely be closed on the weekend. I
saw a 2 headed sturgeon there years ago, no kidding!

Yes this is a late announcement! It's a quick idea of 5 tricky alignments and i was trying to get a bit more info and assistance before posting the notice. Bebo will not be there but i am sure various fishy folk art will be. I can't get visitation details as of yet from Eric, the director at ECO. Finally, i am unsure if the Sea Serpent is still at the small lake but that may be a good thing for those so concerned. But if your interested in going...
let me know. I think it could be a fun mini adventure.

Edited by Casper, 26 April 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Ruth and I might make a day trip of it, we haven't been to Finsterville for a coupla years.

#3 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

May 5, 5 Fishy Activities... nearly completed by the day's end.

1CdM-Bridge.JPG

A covered bridge spanning the spring fed stream flowing alongside Finster Fest. Though there was a bit of trash in the water it was crystal clear, lush with aquatic plants and full of life. I observed high colored Darters chasing each other about, heards of Stonerollers, a group of Hogsuckers, smallmouth Bass, Sunnies, Shiners and Topminnows. A streamside aquarium displayed would have been well attended.

2CdM-Clarity.JPG

A railroad trestle ran alongside and i looked for Chub mounds below the riffle runs.

3CdM-MichaelFinster.JPG

The Reverend's Grandson Michael Finster displaying some of his paintings and holding his Christian Fish. I took the bait early in the morning, before the crowds cleaned him out.

4CdM-GeorgiaGater.JPG

I also could not resist his South Georgia Gator, the vibrant green hide painted with iridescent sparkle paint.

5CdM-Koi.JPG

It's not native but very well done. I am sending this Tennessee artist pics of Tangerines, Redlines and Tuckaseegees to carve and paint. The artist Stephen is peeking from behind the grid and will be in Chattanooga next weekend at the Who-Fest where last year he won first place and launched his career full time.

6CdM-Maria.JPG

Delicious... Fish Tacos presented by Marie at Las Palmas. Festive dressed on Cinco de Mayo, the day is celebrated as freedom from the French. Grouper, Avocado and Chipolte Ranch seasoning, i skipped the Margarita for 3 glasses of sweet tea, iced cold.

7CdM-Eco.JPG

ECO Education Center. Close up of the excellent graphic illustrating Rome and the joining of the Etowah, Coosa and Oostanaula Rivers. Today they were celebrating Waterfest XII with River Races, Kayak Tug of Wars and the World's Largest Portable Aquarium featuring fish from the Oostanaula River.

8CdM-Eric.JPG

ECO Director Eric eye level to a tank of Dace, Shiners and 2 Darters. A finer substrate, driftwood, bigger rocks, fewer minnows and more darters is called for!

9CdM-Sturgeon.JPG

Lake Sturgeon, wandering the big tank.

10CdM-Buffalo.JPG

Buffalo too. Carp, Bass, Cats and Sunnies. The center featured many native aquariums, displays and activities. Located right on the Oostanaula River the ECO Center is converted from an old water treatment plant. The giant pumps and machinery can be viewed looking down into the lower levels.

11CdM-Darters.JPG

Local Darters posted on the wall.

12CdM-Jim.JPG

Jim over looking his spring fed pond. The plywood Sea Serpent has since faded away but the water remains clear and full of his pet, hand-fed Sunfish, Bass and "Creek Suckers". A university monitors a population of rare Darters in the vegetated shallows but i did not get my feet wet to see which. His spring house supplies water to 11 households and any locals who wish to decend and fill jugs in the pit. Connie filled her Sprite cup, tasty cool she said.

13CdM-ParadiseGarden.JPG

The day was fading and Paradise Garden's gates were already closed. I found access to the swampy outflow of the Garden's Spring for a quick dip and renewing plunge next time.

14CdM-Church.JPG

The World Folk Art Church... reaching into the setting sun's sky. I never got my feet wet, nor immersed my body but the day was clear and blue skies and many fine folks met.

Cinco de Mayo. El Casperio

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Man, I hate that I missed that... I would have liked to add to my Bebo collection... and seen the stream... and ate a taco... and toured the water works turned aquarium... we need to do that again sometime when I can join you!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

I'm sorry we couldn't get out. I'm glad the World Folk Art Church is still standing...

#6 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

I don't think another alignment like this will occur until the 2017 solar eclipse. I have my site selected in NC... dang near dead center for a full 1.5 minute shimmering eclipse as it races across the USA. I plan to be with family and friends and in the clear water to capture the crazy views of Tangerines and shimming crescents until totality... then off comes the mask to see the lunar shadow race across the earth.
Shivers!

http://www.eclipse-c...eCalculator.php

Where will you be? Use this to find a perfect experience site.

http://www.mcglaun.c...ough_the_us.HTM

Be sure and check out the "What will you see" section. Highly motivating.

And some of the crazy light effects... probably enhanced while underwater with the fish.

Its all a while away... but for most of us a once in a lifetime opportunity... thus be prepared.

Edited by Casper, 28 May 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#7 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

oops...
The correct link for the path of the total solar Eclipse 2017 is

http://www.eclipse-c...hp?TSE=tse2017d

You can zoom in and pan and find your nearby prime viewing site.

#8 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:26 AM

Getting close. 

Even local schools are closed.  Being a Monday i will be doing a 3 day fishcamp with the Tangerines.  Find a spot well in advance as the main roads are going to be crazy hectic.  Situate yourself well in advance in your ideal location.  Mine will be dead center under clear water and a black sun.

https://www.eclipse-...hp?TSE=tse2017d

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users