Trap Placement

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JamesH_*

Guest_JamesH_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Ok so I have not been the most successful with my minnow traps. I have been only leaving them overnight and not with the best bait so I am trying new bait but I was wondering about trap placement.

So far I have been just throwing out my traps around 8 feet off the bank and then hooking them to the bank. I was wondering for the people here that are good with collecting fish in minnow traps where do you place them? I am interested in shinners, topminnows(killifish), pupfish, madtoms, Mollies/platys/swordtails and pygmy sunfish. I know that some of those species are in my area and others are not.

I was wondering where would be the best place to have my traps for those type of species? I look forwarding to reading everyones responces.

#2 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Well I would think if you place the trap with the opening upstream in the current, you would be more likely to get the shiners and madtoms.

Placing the trap in a dead zone/pool of water near the shore in weeds would draw in the pupfish, madtoms and the livebearers.

The topminnows would need the trap opening right near the surface as that is where they predominately are, so if you could leave the O opening half submerged, this might work, never tried to trap topminnows before nor do I recall trapping any.

I have read that pygmy sunfish are too small to be trapped in typical "purchased" traps. I am guessing you MIGHT be able to get some with a soda bottle trap filled with plants and bloodworms??

#3 Guest_CatWhat_*

Guest_CatWhat_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

In my area I have had luck with raw store bought shrimp. I placed the traps around dead trees in about 1 foot of water and at the mouths of small streams feeding into ponds. We don't have much here other then trout and Sticklebacks though.

#4 Guest_JamesH_*

Guest_JamesH_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Thanks guys I am going to try placing the traps just under the water closer to the bank. I went to pull my traps last night after them being in the stream and I only manage to catch one crawfish, and three small sunfish. So its on to the next spot and see what I can get.

#5 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

Any updates on this? I've been pretty hit and miss with my trap also, but I have not tried it that many times yet.

#6 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

I have found that dry dog or cat food works for catching top minnows and baby suns when i lay them in shallows right outside of the grass beds...I have never tried deep water before, let me know how you fare with that, it has struck up my curiosity :-k

#7 Guest_JamesH_*

Guest_JamesH_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

well when I placed the traps in ~3-4 feet of water I got a lot of nice crayfish and young sunfish but that was about it. I was hoping for a siren but I will keep trying. I am going to try to place traps for pupfish on my next weekend and I will let you know how it goes.

#8 Guest_RedRiverPupfish_*

Guest_RedRiverPupfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

Pupfish, topminnows and pygmy sunfish are easiest to catch with a dip net on a 5 foot or so pole. You can target the ones you see or sweep the the net through plants. I've caught Red River Pupfish in the Brazos, pygmy's in the Angelina, and topminnows everywhere this way.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users