Encouraging American eel out of hiding?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

My American eel sits in the floating pvc pipe almost all the time. I've only ever caught him out when all the lights in the basement are off and there's tilapia waiting for him. Once in a rare while he might come out to swim with the lights on, but that's like a once a year kind of thing. I've had him for over 2 years and thought he might be more comfortable with lights, but in the mean time I feed him only at night to keep him comfortable. Any way of getting him out? If not, it's no big deal, but he's my favorite fish!

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

I was reading about ghost knife fish one time (they're nocturnal) and someone recommended a red light bulb instead of a white one. Apparently they can't see red light all that well and they think it's dark out and emerge from their cave.

Also I've had mixed success with dither fish. Sometimes they work to tell the scared fish that it's okay to swim out in the open. Sometimes they just scare the scared fish more. I think the effect of dither fish can be positive or negative depending on which species you use as dither and what fish you're trying to make feel more comfortable.

Edited by EricaWieser, 30 April 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Eels are seriously nocturnal. The idea of a red light might work, I haven't heard of anyone trying it with Anguilla. And with these eels, dither fish would be food.

#4 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

Eels are seriously nocturnal. The idea of a red light might work, I haven't heard of anyone trying it with Anguilla. And with these eels, dither fish would be food.

+1

local areas with eels, I cant catch while dayfishing but same spot at night with a crawler on the hook & I cant keep them off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users