• Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

Nasty.

Usil

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Even if 90% of boaters and fishers TRY to comply with the cleaning regime (a wishful compliance rate), I suspect the success rate (killing all algae cells/spores on boats, trailers, boots, equipment) will be far lower. You heard the man in the video: "I'll hose it off when I get home" ... meanwhile, dripping Didymo-water all the way. Considering how far and fast Hydrilla and exotic Myriophyllum have spread (easily visible plants that die quicklty when dried out), its hard to imagine that we stand much chance against slowing Didymo's spread, even with a top-notch public ed campaign.

#4 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:58 AM

I heard it was becoming a problem in the northern most parts of the Connecticut River.

When I read the post on Central Stonerollers and how they patrol in schools eating algae off rocks I wonder if they'd be able to control rock snot in their range.

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

It's not an algae its a diatom and given that it has the texture of steel wool I highly doubt any fish will consume it. Just found it in a new stream in Maryland this past week and this is with an active PR campaign, a ban on felt soled wading boots, and wash stations throughout popular public fishing access locations where it is known and suspected. It doesn't really spread between rivers it tends to jump, within rivers is a different story. It also tends to thrive in highly altered (usually from hypolimnetic release dams) streams, which also happen to be mitigated as trout fisheries.

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

It doesn't really spread between rivers it tends to jump, within rivers is a different story.

Matt can you explain what you meant there? And is there some max summer temp (and duration) that generally kills it?
Seems like it could invade cool spring-fed streams even in the deep south if folks are not careful with this slime monster.

It's not an algae its a diatom

Dang I must be OLD. Birds are now crocodiles, diatoms aren't algae, and I'm a Sarcopterygiian

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

You've always been a Sarcopterygian... use your inner fish.

#8 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

The first point of introduction into Maryland was in Gunpowder River just NE of Baltimore. It then showed up about 150 miles west in the Savage River. Both are incredibly popular and heavily fished trout fisheries. Third location is Hunting Creek, north of Frederick near Camp David.

I'll have to dig up the info for you on temperatures and seasonality, it does seem to boom and bust with temperature and flow. Highly altered rivers, as for most invasive species, seem to be where it thrives so I'm not sure how it would do in the spring fed, headwater streams. I'd really like to see a good gear cleaning/decon efficacy study to see just how much material can start a new colony.

Other places in the SE I know of that have it are KY, Cumberland River below Wolf Creek Dam, and TN below Norris, Cherokee, S Holston dams, VA below Smith River dam, and at least the Elk River in WV. I'm sure there are other places within and around those, plus western states. Some other states, including these, are following with the felt ban. Industry is split, some are following suit and are ahead of the curve, some don't care, some are developing alternatives (but are still a porous media that can be a vector IMO).

You got me on the classification...

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

The felt ban seems like a lost cause. I know from personal experience that fishing eastern mountain streams without felt is downright dangerous. I hope that a solution is found.

#10 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

That was much of the concern voiced during the public comment period and probationary period (1 yr w/ warnings). New 'sticky rubber' boots are honestly quite good and are even better with studs for mountain streams. For the most part, we aren't talking about didymo in high gradient, boulder filled mountain streams where regardless of felt, there is a danger of ending up on your ass. The fact is, the industry is staying ahead of the regulation.

With the spread of this and other nasty diseases like VHS, whirling, LMB Virus, chytryid fungus, etc. there should honestly be a more visible and vocal call to prevent and avoid such an occurrence within this organization and at its functions.

#11 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

http://www.dnr.state...2012/050712.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users