Crayfish ID - Please help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_marxxx_*

Guest_marxxx_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hey Guys,

I recently picked up several crayfish - a trio of crays that look like the 4 photos on the left, and a nice female (4 photos on the right) that had babies! I do NOT know the origin of these as they were purchased and not collected.

http://s126.photobuc..._mark/Crayfish/

Any idea what they are?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mark

Edited by marxxx, 10 May 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

First images appear to to be of papershell / calico crayfish Orconectes immunis. The second is one of the Cambarus species recently split out from the devil crayfish Cambarus diogenes complex. The former species I associate with streams that are low stream order, prone to dry up on occasion and where the substrate is dominated by clays and silts. It also a species that is at least legal for aquaculture in many states and is good to eat. The second species is a burrower that is found well away from open water (up to a 1/4 mile) and moves to streams and sometimes ponds much like toads or mole salamanders where stay is restricted periods immediately surrounding breeding season and for juveniles until they are approaching 2" in total length. Second species digs very deep burrows, in one intance at least 14 feet. Second species is not the best for eating.

#3 Guest_marxxx_*

Guest_marxxx_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Thank you for that information! It's great to have a direction with these.

They are nice, the first species is very peaceful (which would seem appropriate for immunis).

The second species - adult female very sedentary, doesn't do much. The babies are fairly active and aggressive feeders! I am anxious to see what they look like (possibly better than the adult).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users