Seining Sites in Indiana

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Draros_*

Guest_Draros_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

I currently live in Evansville, IN. I'd like a few good sites to go seining/snorkeling around the state, or around the Northern part of Kentucky. Any suggestions? The only site I know of is Stinking Fork, and the Blue River within the Blue River drainage.

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

I am originally from Dale, Indiana so have had ample time to explore. Many places exists not so far east. For starters a site close to you is Snakey Point and some of the spring-fed streams draining into the area. The locations contain a mixture of longear sunfish, fliers, red spotted sunfish, orange spotted sunfish, warmouth, northern starhead topminnow as well many other more mundane species (minners and gamefishes). The Ohio river also has some really cool stuff as well, especially where bedrock is exposed.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Blue river is nice. Quite a few darter species on the right riffles. caeruleum, zonale, blennioides, camurum, maculatum, and nigrum. Let the camurum, and the maculatum stay in the river. There is a decent riffle at "Stage Stop" or "Stagecoach Stop" campgrounds. Within the same park, but upstream of the campgrounds. Monster Notropis photogenis in the pool upstream of the riffle. Think we sampled a few Noturus eleutherus there also. Let them stay in the river as well. Good luck, a few of us make it to Indiana from time to time, so sometime we might be able to get together.

Edited by Skipjack, 16 May 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#4 Guest_Draros_*

Guest_Draros_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I plan on snorkeling and collecting on the Blue River next week at some point.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users