Chrosomus/Phoxinus Hybrid or Bait Fish?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Draros_*

Guest_Draros_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

While I was collecting some Chrosomus erythrogaster for my tank I found this fish. My best guess is it was a hybrid between Chrosomus and Luxilus or Semotilus. I'd be more inclined to call it a different minnow species, but I have done a survey of the river where I collected it. We collected and identified roughly 2000 fish from the river, and I didn't see any other similar individuals. However, I don't know a wide variety of species. Any ideas?

Attached Files

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Maybe Clinostomus x Luxilus or Clinostomus x Chrosomus??? I dont really see the Chrosomus in that fish, but obviously you've seen it up close and personal and I haven't.

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Looks like Clinostomus x Semotilus to me, but again, that's just from the photo.

#4 Guest_Draros_*

Guest_Draros_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

There aren't any Clinostomus in the river as far as I know.

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Dustin...remember that tiny creek (with E. saggita)in KY with the very clinostomus looking things? I kept saying "that has to be Clinostomus". I think you and Dave had to tell me 5 times that Clinostomus aren't here!

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Whatever it is, that caudal peduncle is very deep. If it is from Indiana, Clinostomus elongatus is the only possibility, and is critically endangered, but is present in the Wabash drainage. So I will throw out my wild guess. Vigilax x elongatus. But I would buy semotilus just as easily, and the hump, looks more semotilus, but the caudal peduncle reminds me of vigilax. Spawning habits rule out my wild vigilax guess though. So I reckon I am with Dustin. Sorry for thinking out loud.

Edited by Skipjack, 17 May 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#7 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

Looks like a semotilus x chrosomus to me. I have seen hybrids between Luxilus and Chrosomus that look really Clinostomus like so that is also a possibility. I found what I believe was a Campostoma x Chrosomus yesterday, that was a weird one. It is now preserved and we took a fin clip so if anyone with the means wants to prove me right or wrong let me know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users