Mud Sunfish

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TF4UMS_*

Guest_TF4UMS_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

Do you currently have access to any of these??

#2 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Got them in New Jersey but they are a protected species here.

#3 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

Sorry, no mud sunnies. Would like to get some going when I can find some brooders. Why are they of particular interest to you? There's no reason why you shouldn't be. I'd just like to understand why people choose the fish they do. If you'd like to be on our mailing list, send me your email to: jonah@jonahsaquarium.com Please say in the message that you want to be on the list. Don't count on me connecting it with this thread. All I have here is your screen name, which doesn't look like it will stick in my head. Thanks!

#4 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

Mark, I get them occasionally. Usually only one or two per outing to swampy areas, but I may be able to send you a few before I move into the mountains in August. TF4 once I get one I will let you know and send one along. They are neat fish. What size are you looking for?

#5 Guest_TF4UMS_*

Guest_TF4UMS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Thanks Kanus PM sent.

#6 Guest_TF4UMS_*

Guest_TF4UMS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

itsme actually i have kept a lot of different species of sunfish, but this one has always eluded me. I just like to keep them and study their habits, i know thats a lot different than in the wild but i think i can recreate their natural habitat pretty close anyway, then just study and watch. im not scientific, just curious.

#7 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

Mud sunfish habitat is one of those that may be pretty hard to recreate in your standard aquarium. I've only collected them from muddy banks underneath heavy aquatic growth.

#8 Guest_TF4UMS_*

Guest_TF4UMS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

Do you know what the oxygen levels were there?? sounds almost like a low water level creek situation, muddy water?? the aquatic growth shouldnt be too hard to recreate, and maybe some rock work to recreate their caves our outcrops?? Do you know of a good in depth article on them somewhere. I may not find or get any, but they still interest me.

#9 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

I've collected one or two from undercut banks but I would say most that I have seen have actually come from alongside woody debris. If you are in the right habitat and see a log or partial log in the water, sweeping a dipnet and kicking around under the wood (if necessary) seem to be the best method. I've found them ~40 feet from shore like this.

#10 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

I rarely see mud sunfish, but the few I have caught (maybe 8 fish in 20+ years) were in leaf litter and branch piles along edges of flowing streams. Despite their habitat, the two I have kept (1 to 2 inch when caught) quickly switched over to Lepomis-like behavior in aquaria; out in the open and always begging for food. Actually they remind me a lot of oscar cichlids, with those owl-like inquisitive eyes (and oscar-like appetite). They were not shy and didn't hide in caves or plants beyond the first few days of getting settled in.

#11 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

I agree with the assessment of their behavior. They are amazingly outgoing considering how elusive they are.

#12 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

I'm closing this topic, TF4UMS is no longer a forum member here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users