Illinois has trophy Carp, and we're proud of it!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Last year while on a family vacation, we visited a local state facility which had lots of interesting tri-folds on various wildlife issues. This is one that I could not resist sharing and thought fellow NANFAn's might get a chuckle. Perhaps it might also serve as a list of places to avoid when sampling?

Attached File  Trophy Carp in Illinois small.JPG   144.43KB   28 downloads

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

It's interesting how they encourage you to release it back into the water after catching it.

Edited by EricaWieser, 28 May 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

It's interesting how they encourage you to release it back into the water after catching it.

Not really..how many times have you seen a grass carp mounted on somebody's wall?

#4 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

Now they'll have to update it to include all the fantastic opportunities this state offers for trophy silver and bighead carp. While they're at it, why not something promoting catch and release of gobies? Or zebra mussel watching excursions?
Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

Think you guys have trophy weather loach as well. They are quite the quarry on super ultralight gear.

#6 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Being born and raised in Illinois along the Mississippi, Carp has been a food fish since I remember in the 60's. Been to many outings with the Moose Lodge along the river when I was a kid on Saturday nights for the Carp Fry. I know that this fish is maligned in other locations but it has been with us for a long time and put to good use.

Usil

Edited by Usil, 30 May 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#7 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Or zebra mussel watching excursions?

Wait, you guys don't do that already???

#8 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

Being born and raised in Illinois along the Mississippi, Carp has been a food fish since I remember in the 60's. Been to many outings with the Moose Lodge along the river when I was a kid on Saturday nights for the Carp Fry. I know that this fish is maligned in other locations but it has been with us for a long time and put to good use.

Usil

I know of many river towns in Illinois that have Buffalo fries and some even call them carp but I'm not aware of any actually frying Common Carp. I also know that Common Carp are a prized food source in much of Europe but the people I've interviewed in the USA report a mushy flesh and a required flushing period in cool water for flavor. Anyone have reports of Common Carp served in commercial environment or preparation techniques for American tastes?

#9 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

Check out this place. Their primary menu item is carp that they keep alive in a holding tank until it's time to prepare them. Maybe this flushes them? They make multiple cuts on the side so that the meat is very thin when it is fried so maybe you don't taste a lot of fish, just fried breading.

http://joetessplace.com/go/home/

#10 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

The "multiple cuts" they make are called scoring. It cuts the bones up into smaller pieces so they fry up and you can just eat them. I have eaten many pounds of carp prepared in this manner. While I prefer crappie the carp is actually pretty tasty if prepared well. There is a pay lake up in east Peoria called Dixon Springs. They have spring fed lakes. The carp out of those lakes is the best I have tasted.

#11 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

I lived in Quincy, Illinois which is about 90 miles from Peoria.

You know, I was a kid when this was happening but here is what I remember. The consistency of the carp was definitely not mushy (it had large white flakes of meat) and it looked like they made fillets with each side cut into two pieces. I do remember the cuts so I guess this was for the bones. I also remember I loved going because the fish tasted very good. I think they used corn meal to bread them and used a hot fryer.

Not everyone believed you could eat carp (those I talked to had never tried Carp) but the Saturday night fish frys were a tradition and a lot of people always attended. I don't know where they got the fish but they served so much of it, it had to be bought commercially.

Usil

Edited by Usil, 31 May 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#12 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

Check out this place. Their primary menu item is carp that they keep alive in a holding tank until it's time to prepare them. Maybe this flushes them? They make multiple cuts on the side so that the meat is very thin when it is fried so maybe you don't taste a lot of fish, just fried breading.

http://joetessplace.com/go/home/

That is exactly how we serve buffalo here in Illinois Dustin. Like dafrimpster, I've been told they cut deeply to chop the bones into tiny pieces. I'd recommend anyone that visits a small river town try this in a local restaurant if they get a chance.
Usil, It may very well have been carp with white and flaky flesh. I've never eaten carp to my knowledge and honestly don't see common carp in any numbers from waters in which I'd eat fish. There are some exceptions but the carp are so large they well exceed the advisory limits for contamination.

#13 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

Contamination may be a good point now but this was back in the 60's so I don't know how that would compare to today.

Usil

#14 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

There is a fish stand here in Springfield called Carter's fish that serves Carp, Buffalo and Walleye(Pollock). They have a long line every day at lunch for fish. Probably 75% of their business is Pollock though.

#15 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Walleye would win over most fish. Very yummy.

Usil

#16 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

You know, I was a kid when this was happening but here is what I remember. The consistency of the carp was definitely not mushy (it had large white flakes of meat) and it looked like they made fillets with each side cut into two pieces. I do remember the cuts so I guess this was for the bones. I also remember I loved going because the fish tasted very good. I think they used corn meal to bread them and used a hot fryer.

I have eaten it fried too and have to agree. I was suprised at how white, flakey, and mild flavored the flesh was. Had always heard about how bad they were unless smoked.

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

Good fish. I like the taste and texture.But I must be doing it wrong. A 5-6 lb carp seems yield enough meat to feed a child. They seem to be all gut.

#18 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Now they'll have to update it to include all the fantastic opportunities this state offers for trophy silver and bighead carp. While they're at it, why not something promoting catch and release of gobies? Or zebra mussel watching excursions?

Lol, oh my gosh.....I would understand the pride at having some trophy natives, but CARP, wow!

#19 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

Lol, oh my gosh.....I would understand the pride at having some trophy natives, but CARP, wow!

Nah I'm not that surprised. Carps are best "sportfish", they give a great fight when hooked.

#20 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

We used to catch them with a mulberry on a hook. There was a mulberry tree that hung over the lake and the carp would gather under it and eat the mulberries that fell in the lake. We would put the berry on the hook with a bobber and catch carp until we got tired of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users