Common slug culture for sunfish?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

I notice that when it rains, at night I find anywhere from 20 to 30 slugs hanging around my front door, I figured since they were so plentiful I would check and see if they are a viable food source for my green sunfish. I figure they have to be high in protein right? :biggrin:

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

Wow. I googled this to see if anybody else had thought of it and it's actually a legitimate thing. Link to first hand report of slug breeding: http://www.frogforum...ding-101-a.html
I never would have thought to breed slugs. I guess they're sort of like my worm cultures but slimier? Maybe before you get started you could test putting a slug in your fish tank to see if the slime deters the fish from eating it. I can't imagine they'd taste very good.

#3 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

My sunfish seem to be OK with slugs. They'll spit them out a few times before taking them down for good. I'm guessing it's because it's not what they were expecting, but they do seem to like them. I have no idea what the nutritional content of a slug is though.

#4 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

Wow. I googled this to see if anybody else had thought of it and it's actually a legitimate thing. Link to first hand report of slug breeding: http://www.frogforum...ding-101-a.html
I never would have thought to breed slugs. I guess they're sort of like my worm cultures but slimier? Maybe before you get started you could test putting a slug in your fish tank to see if the slime deters the fish from eating it. I can't imagine they'd taste very good.

Holy cow...that is actually awesome and i bet with healthy greens to eat and decent substrate it would probably cut down on the slime and prob make them taste better to fish.....I may do what you said and just drop one in and if their a hit, i will culture me some.

#5 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Mine never would eat them. Your mileage may vary I guess.

Shouldn't be necessary to culture them if you have any kind of yard though?

#6 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:28 AM

I occassionally feed small ones to darters. I figured they are essentially a snail which most darters like. I had thought of trying to grow a culture of them, but decided my flower beds, vegetable garden, and compost heap were already doing a better job of that than I probably could.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users