a couple of fish pics

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:22 PM

Attached File  PICT0585.JPG   194.87KB   3 downloads
this is my yoy red eye bass(swim bladder problem, but still alive and eating after 24 hours)
Attached File  PICT0591.JPG   240.45KB   3 downloads
what non natives I only see a mexican platy and blackstripe topminnows
Attached File  PICT0597.JPG   152.74KB   3 downloads
any ideas I've had him for 3 months
anyone want this guy

#2 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

good to see the Blackstripe Topminnow(s) I sent you are still alive. Your chubs you sent me are now feeders for bigger and better things. :twisted:

#3 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:01 PM

not all of them, I still have 2 of them that nate gave me and I'm going to get some pics of and post up for id opinions. They are definitely some kind of Semotilus I am unfamiliar with any of these other than creek chub and don't know what would be in your area. If you could give us a more precise locality of where they were caught that would be useful.

#4 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:56 PM

not all of them, I still have 2 of them that nate gave me and I'm going to get some pics of and post up for id opinions. They are definitely some kind of Semotilus I am unfamiliar with any of these other than creek chub and don't know what would be in your area. If you could give us a more precise locality of where they were caught that would be useful.

well a reedy river triutary, a very small creek only 2-3 feet wide and less than 4 inches deep and I've never captured one over 2-3 inches even the larger creeks it flows into

#5 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

any ideas I've had him for 3 months
anyone want this guy

Bluegill YOY. Looks like fish food to me.

#6 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:03 PM

There are only two Semotilus spp. found in SC. One is good old atromaculatus and the other is lumbee, which is found nowhere near the Reedy River.

#7 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:33 PM

There are only two Semotilus spp. found in SC. One is good old atromaculatus and the other is lumbee, which is found nowhere near the Reedy River.

Isn't Semotilus lumbee also protected in SC?

#8 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:40 PM

no only PS me and my bro found some just east of Fort Mill SC

#9 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:06 PM

I don't believe you found lumbee near Ft. Mill if this is what you meant. That area is in the Catawba/Broad drainages and there are no lumbee there. These fish are very restricted to the sandhills areas of NC and SC. This has been documented down to the type of substrate found in the streams where they are found.

#10 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:42 AM

I figured they were good old creek chub they sure looked like them to me but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt because he (killier) was prety sure they were not creek chub. Here is a couple pics of the fish he sent to nate. I wanted to just call them creek chub right off the bat but I have not seen any other semotilus before so I did not know how similar or un-similar atromaculatus is to any of the others in that genus. From what dustin said though it sounds like these guys have to be creek chub.

#11 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:19 AM

What do you mean by "PS"?

Any species found on this list should NOT be collected without proper permits and should only be sent to a person/institution that is properly permitted -

https://www.dnr.sc.g...ist?pcounty=all

https://www.dnr.sc.g...lect_county_map

Of course, this is dependant on your ability to properly ID fish. If you're not absolutely certain of the species ID then you probably shouldn't be sending those fish to people claiming that they are something that they aren't. Do the research, know which species are found in the area you collect in and learn the differences between those that could be similar in appearance.

#12 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:16 AM

the fish that I posted a picture of was sent along with 3-4 others that looked just like it, all creek chub as far as I'm concerned, but they were suposedly yellowfin shiners. I don't want to offend the person who sent them in anyway but I do think you should be sure of the id of a fish before sending it to someone, this time there doesn't seem to be any fault as I would not think creek chub are listed in anyway shape or form but what if they had been something on a e and t list state or even worse federal that could have caused some trouble. Just be sure you know what you are sending around to other people.

#13 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:36 PM

If you're not absolutely certain of the species ID then you probably shouldn't be sending those fish to people claiming that they are something that they aren't.

And if you're not remotely certain, you probably shouldn't be removing them from a river. Perhaps Chip or Dustin can suggest some less sensitive systems to learn from? OR is this river already known as such?

I'd also pick up Fritz's book, Freshwater Fishes of the Carolinas, Virginia, Maryland and Delaware. It's inexpensive and you can learn the fish without involving any fish. I've done most of my ichthyological work laying in bed, before I go to sleep. Just keep reviewing pictures. Things will start to look familiar in the field.

Todd

#14 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

And if you're not remotely certain, you probably shouldn't be removing them from a river. Perhaps Chip or Dustin can suggest some less sensitive systems to learn from? OR is this river already known as such?

I'd also pick up Fritz's book, Freshwater Fishes of the Carolinas, Virginia, Maryland and Delaware. It's inexpensive and you can learn the fish without involving any fish. I've done most of my ichthyological work laying in bed, before I go to sleep. Just keep reviewing pictures. Things will start to look familiar in the field.

Todd

I have that book
PS stands for Proposed secial conserion(very bad speller)

#15 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

I have that book
PS stands for Proposed secial conserion(very bad speller)

Spell Check and a dictionary are two things that you might want to invest in. If a species is "Proposed Special Concern", that probably means you shouldn't attempt to collect it.

#16 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

Umm... I mean I like fish as much as the next person and all, maybe even a little more, but Todd, maybe you need to get out more. No more spawning videos for you...

Cheers,
Dave

... I've done most of my ichthyological work laying in bed...
Todd

#17 Guest_TreyBell_*

Guest_TreyBell_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

Killier-

I am somewhat of a newbie to this game, at least concerning native nongame fish, but when it comes to identifying animals I have many years under my belt. Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that the creek chub has both a caudal and dorsal spot and a side stripe which breaks towards the base of the while the yellowfin shiner has a complete, unbroken stripe lacking either spotting present on the creek chub.

I have a few field guides for reference as should anybody active in field collecting, and under the basic descriptions of each fish the identifying marks are pointed out explicitly. Be careful what you say, not to mention what you sell, unless you are sure you know what you have for your credibility is always at stake. This is a great community to be involved in; therefore if you allow yourself to be more receptive receptive and open to learn from others, read a few field guides, and play by the books (i.e. do not collect too far North...) this hobby can be quite the fun and educational experience. Just my two cents:

Trey

Attached Files

#18 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:56 PM

I wasnt after those sandhills we just got them on a run to see what was in the area

#19 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:15 AM

I wasnt after those sandhills we just got them on a run to see what was in the area

Just curious....are you saying you found sandhills chubs? If so, what makes you so certain that they were sandhills chubs instead of creek chub? Any special distinguishing marks? As Dustin has already mentioned, lumbee have a VERY restricted range, even down to only being found over a particular substrate. You would have had to be MUCH farther east than Ft.Mill to even have an opportunity to see them. Perhaps you are aware of something the rest of us don't know about? The pics that were posted are definitely NOT sandhills. What other shiners did you find along with them...yellowfin perhaps?

#20 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

Just curious....are you saying you found sandhills chubs? If so, what makes you so certain that they were sandhills chubs instead of creek chub? Any special distinguishing marks? As Dustin has already mentioned, lumbee have a VERY restricted range, even down to only being found over a particular substrate. You would have had to be MUCH farther east than Ft.Mill to even have an opportunity to see them. Perhaps you are aware of something the rest of us don't know about? The pics that were posted are definitely NOT sandhills. What other shiners did you find along with them...yellowfin perhaps?

no yellow fins but I did find them with speckled killies and swamp darters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users