Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:49 AM

no yellow fins but I did find them with speckled killies and swamp darters

In South Carolina?

#23 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

You found speckled killies in SC?? This would be a first to the best of my knowledge. These are found in the Catawba drainage but a bit farther north. Do you happen to have a pic of the speckled? WOuld you mind sharing your spot? The swamp darter is out of place as well. Until recently, these weren't recognized from that area. Some have been found, though, while making collections looking for Carolina darters. Are you absolutely sure they were not collis, which is another protected species? Again, the Semotilus you caught there were not lumbee either. This area is well out of their range.

#24 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

and they had redish fins

What had reddish fins? The chub? The killie?

#25 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:57 AM

I know the fish I sent were not sandhill chubs but I was in a Catawba river trip. I have no pics(but my brother has a few I'll ask him for them) but I think the swamp darter may have been a carolina darter
the chub had redish fins the speckled killie looked like well the ones in the books

#26 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:09 PM

Maybe they were a Nocomis sp. like bluehead.

#27 Guest_TreyBell_*

Guest_TreyBell_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:45 PM

I would love to see some pictures as well. You need to understand that when you make claims of finding animals this far out of range, you NEED evidence to back yourself. Your track record in fish identification is not something which I would consider seasoned; although I would be impressed if you could prove us wrong...

Trey

#28 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:25 PM

I know the fish I sent were not sandhill chubs but I was in a Catawba river trip. I have no pics(but my brother has a few I'll ask him for them) but I think the swamp darter may have been a carolina darter
the chub had redish fins the speckled killie looked like well the ones in the books

As Dustin said, the area encompassing the Catawba/Broad drainages has NO lumbee. These fish are very restricted to the sandhills areas of NC and SC. This has been documented down to the type of substrate found in the streams where they are found. This was not anywhere near where you were unless you were not where you thought you were (or say you were).

If you did find speckled killies, it would be the first time I have heard of them being found in SC. While they are found in the Catawba drainage, most records show them farther north into NC. Did you keep any of the killies or darters?

Would be interesting to hear what thoughts Fritz or Gerald has on this subject.

#29 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:16 PM

I have that book
PS stands for Proposed secial conserion(very bad speller)

For what it matters, Semotilus lumbee is listed as "State of Concern", not "Proposed Special Concern". Their state ranking is S2 which is the second most critical listing that the state does.

SCIENTIFIC NAME - SEMOTILUS LUMBEE

COMMON NAME - SANDHILLS CHUB

GLOBAL RANK - G3 - Either very rare throughout its range or found locally in a restricted range, or having factors making it vulnerable

STATE RANK - S2 - Imperiled state-wide because of rarity or factor(s) making it vulnerable

LEGAL STATUS - SC - Of Concern, State

#30 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

I think the swamp darter may have been a carolina darter

SCIENTIFIC NAME - ETHEOSTOMA COLLIS

COMMON NAME - CAROLINA DARTER

GLOBAL RANK - G3 - Either very rare throughout its range or found locally in a restricted range, or having factors making it vulnerable

STATE RANK - S? - Status unknown

LEGAL STATUS - SC - Of Concern, State

#31 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:45 PM

good thing I didnt keep any then
I'll get some pics soon

#32 Guest_TreyBell_*

Guest_TreyBell_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:01 PM