Ohoopee Shiners - Cyprinella leddsi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Went to the basement yesterday and saw something that made me grab my camera. Shot this and quickly jammed it together last night. Ohoopee shiners that were caught last summer have done well in the tank and have apparently decided that it is summer time and time to strut their stuff they way Cyprinella are wont to do.

There are also some Coastal shiners and Longjaw Minnows that are doing very well in this sand bottom tank.

If you just want to see the Bannerfins (Ohoopee shiners) dance and spar you can skip right to minute 2:00 or so of this short 3:30 video.

And yes, I know I am using an old, out of use, common name for Cyprinella leedsi. I found it in one of the old papers I have been reading and since these fish were actually caught in the Ohoopee I rather like referring to them that way.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

I have papers that call them Notropis leedsi, so yeah...

#3 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

I really appreciate your creative tank set up re: the fishing lure and bobber additions. Neat!

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, the decor on that tank is great and the alpha male shiner is stunning

#5 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Just like being in the water with them, except drier.

NICE !!!!

#6 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Beautiful Shiners

For all that strutting, I sur hope you see some eggs.

Harry Knaub

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

Just like being in the water with them, except drier.

NICE !!!!

You should know dude... these are fish that you collected... with me and my son... we photographed and put back the only two colored up ones... that you caught... these are some of the smaller ones that have grown up since last summer... http://forum.nanfa.o...georgia-outing/
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_danawhicker_*

Guest_danawhicker_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

That fin action on that alpha male is pretty cool. Awesome footage and thanks for posting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users