Jordanella water temperature

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sailorv_*

Guest_sailorv_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

I have an outdoor 900 gallon pond and now I have been thinking for a year to stock some Jordanella Floridae in my outdoor pond with my goldfish and turtles (I also have about more than 200 fathead minnows and I am looking to replace the fathead minnows for some small attractive fish) but I am always holding back the idea. And I was wondering if they can tolerate cold water temperature like 30 degrees F. I live in California where temperature gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter (Too cold for a desert!) Can these fish tolerate cold temperature?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

I have been surprised this year by seeing Jordanella in an above ground stock tank that I thought I clear all of the juveniles out of... and this is a 100 gallon rubbermaid style above ground stock tank... and here in Georgia is froze over solid at least once for a few days in the winter... of course I think it was much warmer at the bottom.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_joefish72_*

Guest_joefish72_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

I have been surprised this year by seeing Jordanella in an above ground stock tank that I thought I clear all of the juveniles out of... and this is a 100 gallon rubbermaid style above ground stock tank... and here in Georgia is froze over solid at least once for a few days in the winter... of course I think it was much warmer at the bottom.

Yes, If the tote is on the ground the radiant heat from the ground keeps the water at the bottom warmer but I would guess it's still pretty cold. I know they can handle water in the low 60's here in Florida but I doubt they can handle getting close to freezing temps. I am interested to hear from anyone who has had them winter over and has temperature data.

#4 Guest_Alspond_*

Guest_Alspond_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Yes, If the tote is on the ground the radiant heat from the ground keeps the water at the bottom warmer but I would guess it's still pretty cold. I know they can handle water in the low 60's here in Florida but I doubt they can handle getting close to freezing temps. I am interested to hear from anyone who has had them winter over and has temperature data.

I live north of Lakeland fl In feb 2012 we had a 22 degree night. I have a 100 gallon stock tank I use for water plants. It had skim ice on it. In April there were 3 adult flagfish and 2 juveniles in that tank when I emptied it. I don't know how many we're in there before the freeze.
I think I only put 3 in there.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users