New Type Of Fishing

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_damias_*

Guest_damias_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

Are any of you familiar with micro fishing as i think this would be a fun way to collect fish without sieving and possibly upsetting the river/creek even though you will catch far less fish.

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

What is micro fishing?

#3 Guest_decal_*

Guest_decal_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Funny, I was thinking about posting this yesterday. In micro-fishing specialized hooks are used that are considerably smaller than conventional hooks, I.e. Size 26 and below. Most of the gear available comes from Japan where "tanago" AKA bitterlings are fished for using tenkara rods, fly rods without reels.

When you watch darters and minnows enter a feeding frenzy on frozen food in an aquarium it's easy to imagine them striking a mysis shrimp on a microhook. With a long crappie rod it seems like you could sample most parts of your average creek. Obviously the smallest of fish and the more reserved species are probably off-limits, but for most other cyprinids, killies and darters it seems like an attractive collection method for lone individuals.

Anyone with experience they could share? I'm waiting on some hooks and floaters myself, so I'll try to report back in a few weeks.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

If by micro-fishing you mean rod and reel fishing... only with very small/light tackle... then yes, there have been a few posts on the boards here. I remember a few people talking about catching darters on rod and reel... and we talked on one thread for a long time about circle hooks and making really small ones for this purpose.

Use the forum search function and see what you can find.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

oh, I tried that one time. Sunfish, all sunfish, are game fish in North Carolina. So I tried to catch some smaller ones with a really really tiny rod and reel. We didn't catch anything, but that's probably because fish don't really bite much in the winter. It's definitely an intriguing technique for catching fish, especially when a three inch species is considered a game fish and there's no other way to legally catch it.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

http://micro-fishing.com/

#7 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

Absolutely. Micro fishing is an interesting method of sampling. You don't have to step foot in the water, turn over a single rock, or startle any of the wildlife other than the individual fish that you're catching. The hook usually sets towards the front of the mouth on the lip, so damage to the fish is minimal. I bet most fish caught micro fishing recover just fine. The thrill of convincing a fish so small to go after your bait is surprising.

Here's my life list of micro fish caught hook & line (from roughfish).
http://www.roughfish...ro-detail/42538

#8 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

I was toying with writing an article on this subject, minnow species are very aggressive feeders. If you have a small enough hook they are easy to catch.

To me its a lot more fun too, and it makes collecting on your own easy too.

Decal is right, the hooks from Japan is the way to go, but you can also find small hooks hear, a size 26 hook is good for fish in the 3" range. Fish smaller then that can be caught on them too but it gets harder to hook them.

Edited by Mike, 04 July 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Went out today. Fished Todd's fork of the Little Miami. Water was very low, and clear, and the fish were fairly spooky. I used a fly rod, and size 22-26 midges, both dries, and nymphs. Did very well. I have done this for years prior to it actually having a name. Fished local small ditches with small flies when I was a kid. Caught mostly stunted Green Sunfish, and Creek Chubs. Today, I caught 4 species. Central Stoneroller(1) Bluegill(1) Striped Shiner(1) and the most aggressive of them all were the Steelcolor Shiners. Caught too many to count, and most were very hopped up males. Very nice fish to look at! Had a great time.

#10 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

Nice catches Skipjack!

This seems like a great way to catch fish where seines/dipnets are not allowed, like trout waters in the south. I'm definitely trying this.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users