Lucania goodei

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

i recently set up a tank for some wild collected bluefin killifish. here are my experiences so far...

i started with about thirty, a large school to go into a 65 gallon heavily planted aquarium. they pretty much have the tank to themselves, the only other fish in the tank is a single siamese algae eater that i somehow missed. eventually, when the fish are a little fatter, i will try to remove him as well.

ok, so i get the fish, bring them home, and set them up in a ten gallon to observe them. in the crowded ten gallon, which also had about 20 H. formosa and five L. parva, they seemed quite calm. they ate well, didnt pick on each other, and didnt seem to spook easy at all. for th five days i had all these fish in the ten gallon, i only lost three, all of which had injuries that i didnt expect them to survive. the water quality never deteriorated, i was constantly changing water out with the 65 gallon planted, which only had one small fish. plus i used a couple air powered filters i made out of a large pool filter element that i had filled with carbon.

anyway, when i moved the bluefins over to the 65g tank, their behaviour changed. at first, they schooled heavily, all following the largest male. they went from one side to the other, back and forth. this lasted about a day. and then things got weird. i started seeing dead fish, and fish that were just floating upside down gasping for air. sometimes the fish would "snap out of it" and start swimming, most times they would just die.

i tested the water and watched them. i noticed that if i turned the lights of, they would absolutely freak out and dart every direction. a few would slam into the walls and go belly up. so, i had my answere! or so i thought...
i tried leaving the tank on overnight to avoid a sudden light change, but that didnt work either. the next time i added food, i came back within a few minutes to see several more dead fish. they had obviously just died...

i started watching them very closely when i fed them. at first, i just added a frozen bloodworm cube, and and watched three fish promptly kamakaze the walls of the tank. ok, so maybe the cold worms are making them freak out? i tried thawing them first and didnt see any more deaths. great! i had my answere...

Nope.
the next feeding time i thawed the worms out and added them to the tank, and watched yet ANOTHER four fish commit suicide. i had never seen anything quite like this. then i noticed something. three of the four fish this time had a slight amount of blue on their fins. the other looked as though it had red on its tail. (i cant always see red as im colorblind).
as it turned out, only the males were killing themselves. i started changing the way i fed them. i would spread the food out across the entire tank and try to keep the males from having to go to the same area too feed. this seemed to work a little, but they also forage. during the time i was not feeding them, the males seem to find each other, which sends one darting off into oblivion.

in the wild, i guess this wouldnt be a problem. they dart down into the plants and swim at break-neck speeds untill they are safely away from the dominant male. in a large tank, that gives them just enough room to get up to ramming speed.

i havent had any more deaths in about a week, but i also have far fewer males.

this has been an interesting lesson on bluefins for me. as an aquarist, i can tell you that it is very unsettling to watch your fish commit suicide evertime you feed them. it should also serve as a warning to anyone who collects these fish from the wild. try not to get too many males...

and if you are colorblind like me, it helps to have someone who can see red. even if they dont have blue on their fins, they will have red on their tails.

Edited by Auban, 04 July 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#2 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

something i forgot to mention, the males that are left actually school together and dont display the same behaviour. im not sure if this is because i collected some from two different locations or if it is related to sexual maturity or what. ill be watching them though.

#3 Guest_ckraft_*

Guest_ckraft_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

I've had bluefins for several years, what I've noticed is that when they are the only fish around they seem quite stressed, act as if in fear.

I have some in a 60 G tank outdoors along with too many sailfin mollies (P. latipina), also some in a pond with goldfish. In both cases they have propagated, multiplied, and act the way I think a fish should. Swim actively, compete for food, etc.

Really hard water, fed flake food in the tank, whatever they find in the pond (sometimes one will run off with goldfish pellets)

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Auban, I think the reason you didn't see any aggression when you had all 30 fish in your ten gallon is because there was not enough space for any dominant male(s) to establish a territory. (Same with keeping African cichlids heavily stocked. As soon as their numbers drop to where large, dominant, males can set up a territory, trouble starts). Once you moved all your Blues over to the 65-gal. there was a lot more room and subsequently the largest males made their presence felt.....sending other males fleeing.

I have ~12 Blues in a heavily planted 55-gal. I see all of the normal chasing, displaying, courting, and territory disputes, but have yet to lose any fish due to aggression or suicide. You have some very interesting results and I would be interested to hear about any other things you see going on in the tank. Please keep us posted.
Nick L.

#5 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

its been too long since i posted on this thread...

anyway, it seems that the suicides was a behavior limited to the wild caught fish. since then, i have kept the the same numbers of bluefins in the same size tank and they act much less skittish and much more peaceful. they are constantly showing their territorial displays, darting back and forth all over the tank, but they no longer go on kamikaze runs.

i have since gotten pretty decent at breeding them. i have been setting up five gallon tanks slammed full of hair algae with a single pair of bluefins. i periodically check the algae for eggs, and a week after i see the first one i move the pair into another tank. so far they have been continuously laying eggs, even after being moved. after a couple weeks, i remove the algae in the tanks that had eggs and put the pair back into it. right now i am in the process of trying to determine how many fry one pair will produce for me, and for how long they will keep up production.

here are a couple videos of the offspring. one is a newly hatched fry, maybe an hour out of the egg, and the other is just eggs.

http://s1242.photobu...492167.mp4.html

http://s1242.photobu...fdb950.mp4.html

i breed them on this rack full of five gallon tanks. no plants really, just ungodly amounts of hair algae.
Posted Image

latest batch, from one of the five gallon tanks. these are about ready to be sent to a local pet store that is keen on displaying a tank full of natives. they are from fry i collected before i started to try a little selective breeding and started rotating them through tanks. i decided i might as well see if i can separate the blue finned morphs from the red finned morphs. the color goes beyond the fins, with the fish with the bluest fins having an over all bluer body.
Posted Image

#6 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

i almost forgot. they get fed almost exclusively on grindal worms. i have two large cultures going that are slam full of worms.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

It's amazing how pretty that setup is to fish breeders and how not-pretty it is to every other human in the entire world. I think it's gorgeous though :) This is exactly what I wish I had the ability to do with Elassoma gilberti. *sighs wistfully*

Edited by EricaWieser, 25 March 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#8 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

... and how delicious that worm culture looks ...

It's amazing how pretty that setup is to fish breeders and how not-pretty it is to every other human in the entire world. I think it's gorgeous though :) This is exactly what I wish I had the ability to do with Elassoma gilberti. *sighs wistfully*

#9 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

i forgot to mention, i have found grindal worms reproducing on floating algae mats. if the algae is allowed to float like it is in the tank with my betta mahachai fry tank, (yes, one of the tanks on that rack is not set up for natives... shame on me :) ) and grindal worms are placed directly on the algae, they will live and reproduce there. i have found lots of worm eggs on top of the algae, where it stays sort of dry. from what i can tell, the worms eat the slimy cyano that grows on top of the mat. they never get very big, but they dont starve to death or drown either.

here is a shot of the betta mahachai fry tank. right now it has week old fry in it.

Posted Image

#10 Guest_ZiegenSauger_*

Guest_ZiegenSauger_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

This is an awesome post. Just recently found a spot in the canal where I live (South Florida, by the Everglades) where the Bluefin K can be found.

#11 Guest_ZiegenSauger_*

Guest_ZiegenSauger_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Friends, I have commented on other topics that Bluefin Killis are my favorite (Killis overall, but this specially). I have decided to move mine to a dedicated tank because on the large one the number of death was relatively high apparently because of they were too passive compared to the other. The challenge is feeding. They do not seem to eat well (I have everything, of every type - dry and frozen, have not tried anything live or fresh). Any recommendation are much appreciated.

#12 Guest_Sven_*

Guest_Sven_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

Great post, just what i was looking for.
As I have a rag in my working room free I´ll try this.

Thanks
Sven

#13 Guest_Sven_*

Guest_Sven_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

Friends, I have commented on other topics that Bluefin Killis are my favorite (Killis overall, but this specially). I have decided to move mine to a dedicated tank because on the large one the number of death was relatively high apparently because of they were too passive compared to the other. The challenge is feeding. They do not seem to eat well (I have everything, of every type - dry and frozen, have not tried anything live or fresh). Any recommendation are much appreciated.

my ones are feeding well with life cyclops, froozen Bosmides and eben fine fish flakes.
What temperature do you have?

Sven

#14 Guest_Sven_*

Guest_Sven_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

... and 2 questions:
- Do you have a picture of the eggs, what they look like with the human ey/in the tank
- What do you feed the breed?

Sven

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users