how come pacus do not reproduce in U.S

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

How come pacus do not reproduce in southern Florida or Hawaii where they are known to thriving there for years? I hasn't see any evidence that young pacus swimming around in these parts.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

If I remember correctly, pacus (broadly defined) move on to the flooded forest floor when rivers seasonally flood, feeding on fruits, and spawn in this elevated river water. No systems like that really exist in Florida or especially Hawaii. And I hope I remember correctly...

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

I believe I recall the same thing Bruce. Glad things are different here.

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

If I remember correctly, pacus (broadly defined) move on to the flooded forest floor when rivers seasonally flood, feeding on fruits, and spawn in this elevated river water. No systems like that really exist in Florida or especially Hawaii. And I hope I remember correctly...

I think that is correct as well. Similar conditions minus fruit are close to being realized in parts of the lower Mississippi River system. Temperatures presently to low but that I bet does not hold a couple decades more. They do not require fruit to spawn as they can be conditioned to do so using same fare as used for other aquacultured species.

#5 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

Personally I think its hardness in the water? I know some tetras needs softwater to spawning successfully...through I could be wrong?

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Pacu are pretty flexible like pirahna in respect to hardness / alkalinity. Both groups are repressented by species that occur over large ranges with lots of variation in water quality. When pacu are spawned by aquaculturist, water hardness is not a concern.

#7 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

I've heard that these pacus are required to be injected with hormones to spawning.

#8 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

I've heard that these pacus are required to be injected with hormones to spawning.

To my knowledge that is standard protocol but it may not be required if you know how to stimulate through environmental management.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users