Some micro action from today.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jdan_*

Guest_Jdan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hit Stoney and Duck creeks today with my ice rod. Part of the West Fork White river watershed in central Indiana. Various sunfish, some small creek chub and lm bass. Spotted some tesselated darters which seem to be the only darters I can find around here. Here are a few pics.

Green sunfish
Posted Image
Bluegill
Posted Image
Another green
Posted Image
Longear sunfish
Posted Image

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

That's such a beautiful longear. The green sunfish in the first photo ain't too shabby, either. Did you use only red worms as the bait? And what size hook did you use?

Edited by EricaWieser, 16 July 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#3 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Nice sunfish, very colorful! In my opinion you have to go even smaller to call it microfishing. Go back and get one of those tesselated darters! O:)

Here's an orangethroat darter female I got over the weekend.

Posted Image

#4 Guest_Jdan_*

Guest_Jdan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Here is my setup. Frabil 28in bro series rod. Shimano sedona 500 reel. I was using #10 mustad octopus style hooks or 1/124 oz jig hooks.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I think next time I will bring 2 rods. One set up for agressive sunfish in deeper pools and one for darters and smaller species. A smaller bite indicator/float also. I did catch several 3 in fish on the #10. Small bits of wigglers were used as bait.

Edited by Jdan, 17 July 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#5 Guest_Jdan_*

Guest_Jdan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

I have 3 tesselated darters (hopefully correct id)now mixed in with 8 pumpkinseeds in a 10g. These were all netted. They are ready to move to a bigger tank. The darters abundant in both creeks.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Nice fish. I have micro fished behind dams and in holes and always get something. Small piece of worm and laying it on the bottom seems to work for most.

Usil

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Actually, you will do much better with a long rod. 7-9 foot. Keeps you back from the small stream fish which are easily spooked in shallow water. I rarely cast, more like dappling, or fishing with a cane pole. I use strike indicators rather than floaters. They are basically tiny floaters made for flyfishing. You will be able to source micro gear from any flyshop. I use flies myself, but you can pick up micro hooks at the flyshop in the fly tying section. I also use nymphs, which sink, and dry flies. Dry flies are more fun, but good luck keeping a size 22 dry floating. I have to dry it with my shirt after every presentation.

#8 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Yup agreed about longer pole. 7ft is perfect. I've never used strike indicators; instead I try to keep the slack out of the line so I can feel the bites with my finger on the line. I use a small float, which I borrowed from my ice fishing gear, if I want to drift my bait through a spot. Like Skipjack said, micros spook easily (but also forget soon after), so be hyper-vigilant about any movements you make.

#9 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

I have 3 tesselated darters (hopefully correct id)now mixed in with 8 pumpkinseeds in a 10g. These were all netted. They are ready to move to a bigger tank. The darters abundant in both creeks.

Posted Image
Posted Image

If you were fishing/collecting in Indiana, then you were not catching tesselated darters (Etheostoma olmstedi). You are quite a ways outside their range. They occur mostly east of the Appalachian Mountains. The more likely options in the White River drainage are johnny darter (Etheostoma nigrum), which look very similar to the tesselated darter, or orangethroat darter (Etheostoma spectabile). Although the pictures are blurry, the darter in the tank looks a lot like an orangethroat darter.

Edited by NateTessler13, 12 August 2012 - 06:55 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users