Conasauga River

38 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

CR-BassGirl.JPG

I just returned from leading three snorkeling groups in the Conasauga River, sleeping 2 nights in my windows rolled up, sweltering van trying to keep the bears and mosquitos out.
The first group was a summer camp organized by the Tennessee Aquarium for about 20 highschoolers from the area and beyond. Friday was their "Snorkel the Conasauga Day" and there were plenty of smiles and happy faces. Dave captured a bunch of fish via seine and presented them photo tank style with bits of wisdom.

CR-ChubBoy.JPG

CR-Holiday.JPG

CR-ShinyGirl.JPG

We always gather at the Snorkel Hole's beach for a short talk on the history, geography, ecology and the many types of fish and critters we will see. Last year i created new graphics for the existing sign which illustrates much of the discussion. Several NANFA members assisted me with their photos including Todd, Lance, Michael, Pat & JR of CFI and my boss Jim Herrig. Jim is with the Cherokee National Forest and responsible for creating and nuturing this very successful outreach program, educating folks to the wonders of the Conasauga and the proper management of the watershed for the river's health. This is my 3rd year being paid to lead snorkeling trips here and at a few other rivers within the CNF like the Hiwassee and Tellico. It is an honor to be involved with such a project, and no where better to be on a hot summer day! The World WildLife Fund provided a grant to redesign the sign and i was able to add our NANFA logo and website. A perfect project for a native fish infatuated regional graphic artist.

CR-SignFront.JPG

I applied a new graphic to the back of the sign Friday afternoon, the collage created from the awesome photgraphs of Jeremy Monroe and David Herasimtschuk of Freshwaters Illustrated. They have been working the last 2 or 3 years seasonally here in the Southeast capturing some amazing video and images of our favored fish. We hope to see their work on PBS in the near future.

CR-SignBack.JPG

Looking across the deepest section of the Snorkel Hole you see this rock bluff, marking the downstream limit of our activity. Upstream is where the action is, in the clean sweeping riffle runs where most of the darters and shiners congregate.

CR-SnorkelHole.JPG

Here are a few images from below the surface...

CR-Leech.JPG

You don't want to see one of these on you but are they not beautifully patterned?

Usually the substrate is often beautiful in the Conasauga, a collage of multicolored stones carpet the surface. In the riffles and runs the stones stay clean and smooth but in the deep pools beyond, sediment can layer up. Don't stir it up! Float calmly. No thrashing about is the word to everyone.

CR-Hog&Bronze.JPG

One of the favorite fish for folks to see are the Hogsuckers. Everyone loves to say "Hog Sucker!" They vacuum the bottom, all day, everyday, and if you are patient and calm you can watch them up close and personal.

Bronze darters are probably the most commonly seen darter at the site. Handsome in the spring, they exhibit all the colors of bronze from polished to patina to brassy. Percina Palmaris... "The Prize".

CR-Stonies.JPG

Stonerollers are ever present, traveling in herds, grazing like cows on the smooth algae covering the clean water swept boulders. With your fingernails you can scrape the olive green algae off, and the stones bare witness to their diet. Stonies have sharp underslung lips that leave tiny horseshoe marks behind resulting in a interesting mottled pattern. Dull and drab are the Stoneroller's color until their scales flash mirror like in the sun, easily seen from a stream bank likely near you. Stonerollers survive. I can tell those in the water of the springtime when the males become armour plated thorns, dig pits deep in the gravel, and defend their spawning site from other males, all the while trying to attract the females in. Lots to see in moving, living water!

CR-RRR.JPG

The rare Conasauga Logperch had not been seen in several years until a couple years ago while i was exploring a site well downstream and photographed an individual, the same individual over several weeks. His pattern unique and more intricate than the typical Mobile's i submitted the photos to Pat and JR of CFI. Sure enough it was a Conasauga Logperch. They and others descended upon the site and collected something like a dozen, transporting them to the CFI facility and hence raising hundreds to an inch or two in length. Released individuals have been marked with an injected florescent plastic designating their return location. At the Snorkel Hole i saw 4 red marked individuals this weekend and feel that they have increased in size to 3 inches or more. Feeding and flipping stones they are active and quite content it appears. Oddly a green marked Conaloggie appeared a few weeks ago having swam down from another release site several miles upstream, a long adventure for a little newborn. Looking carefully you can see the thin red line on the right rear of this fish bisecting a vertical blotch. An oddity about all the released individuals i have observed, is the crazy patterns on their sides. One could almost make an alphabet from the V's, Z's and double upside down L's. I even began to name them such as Double V Right Rear Red. Or Green V, or Long Lined Triple R. But i am beginning to think the lines are slowly verticalizing into the typical logperch banding one sees most often. Interesting.

When i first sighted the Conasauga Logperch a couple years ago i put together this YouTube video.

CR-Fishes.JPG

Here are a couple of red marked ConaLoggies showing some of the random patterns on their sides. Other individuals are much more crazily marked. Also seen in this image are a couple of ever present Alabama shiners along with a Bronze darter nosing in the shadowy crevase. Only the Logperch flip stones, and i have never seen a Bronze do the same. However, i would like to see the Bronze Log hybrid feed one day. 2 years i have seen him but not this year. Kinda like the Yeti.

CR-BSA.JPG

The next day i had a bunch of Boy Scouts and their Dads along. A great group of eager eyes, everyone in the water for both sessions. Some of the thinner boys took to shivering but we just layered them with a second suit and back in the water they went.

CR-HolidayInSitu.JPG

After the troop left i went back in with my camera and chased a Holiday darter for a good bit. This time of year most of the color has faded on many species but the Holiday darters retain a good bit of color. Aptly named for the red and green, these were only recently described in 1991 by David Etnier. The latin name means "Short Snout", like their Tennessee cousin Snubnoses back at home. The Conasauga is 1 hour east for me, driving i cut across the top of Georgia. The Conasauga is a whole different world of fish, their water flowing straight to the Mobile Bay. Back in Chattanooga our waters flow north, way up to the Ohio before cutting to the mighty Mississippi and back south to the Gulf. As the crow flies these drainages are only miles apart, but as the fish swims, thousands including a salty ocean! We have lots of diversity in the long state of Tennessee. Years and years and years have kept the distant cousins seperated, don't transport bait from one water shed to another! Fish can't walk nor should they drive.

CR-HolidayInSituDorsal.JPG

My 3rd day brought a group from ATL, 2 hours south. An urban hiking group out for something unique, it was the first time Witherspoon and the Georgia Adventurers as they are called, have participated in one of our outing. From the young to the old and multi ethnic they descended into the water with wide eyes and big smiles. It was a beautiful day with blue skies, white clouds and clear water.

For some reason during my lecture we all launched into the entire Beverly Hillbillies theme song, no lyric left unsung, remembered by all. I get some fun people at these outings, all nature lovers and eager to see what is offered. I put them in the water to see more.

Some of the colored stones are soft and bright. River graffiti can occur.

CR-Hues.JPG

CR-RockFish.JPG

For the young and sometimes the old and willing, i annoint those who have seen, with the mark of the Da Lo Gee! That's Cherokee for Hog Sucker! Say it loud!
This boy of enthusiasum also carries the mark of the stone flipping Logperch, staying in the water, seeing all, til the thunder and lightning drove us out.

CR-HogsuckerMark.JPG

Michael and Alejandro showed up to my pleasure, sharing the river with their fellow Georgians that last day. When the sky darkened and the rain fell folks scurried, running for their cars like they were afraid to get wet. They were already wet! I like to say, while i am standing in the rain, water pouring off of me, my hair in my eyes, fully soaked... "The fish don't mind". Ed Scott taught me that and it gives me peace!
Amanda, my beautiful lifeguard, did not much care for the rain though, and i hurried with the rush of gathering gear and was aptly assisted by Michael and Alejandro. Just as we got everything packed into the pickup truck the sky turned blue and the sun shined! Amanda dried off, changed clothes and headed back to the Ranger Station to unload the gear while us 3 gathered at a wet picnic table and sorted through our MRE's and fresh figs.

Then the rain came again and we hurried to our vehicles gathering the last packets of rations and headed downstream to one of my special permission sites. However delayed, first occured another dose of fretting, tools, advice, and jumper cables. The lesson learned is keep those clamps, cables and battery posts VERY clean and tight! I don't want to be stranded with nothing but darkness and bears gathering.

The sun again returned and we played a bit in the warmer water and added Blacktail and Striped Shiners to our sightings. The Venusta were large and pristine, elegant in their white trimmings, fast and likely unyielding to a small seine. Blackbanded darters poked about under the immersed brush piles. Riffle minnows ganged into groups, their underslung mouths working the clean substrate, their bodies trimmed in gold translucent markings.

I pushed a bit upstream, futher than i had before and Micheal called from the bank as i held on in a raging run watching what appeared to be a bull Conasauga Logperch. Though Michael was ready to begin his 3 hour drive home they relented and joined me to study the Logperch. I felt positive in was a Conasauga. It finally tired of our ever closer gazing and raced downstream. Alejandro and i discussed the characteristics a bit and turned downstream, dunked our masks and there was a Logperch flipping stones, at our feet, big as before but something not quite right, the patterns bolder in this new view, a different light, different stones. I am confused!

We waded back to our vehicles, double checked a restart on my van for assurance and shared a last bit of chatter. Thanks for coming guys! Michael and i exchanged a Wolfe built photo tank for a Elmer G NANFA Rep guide as a token of friendship and tool of NANFA. Still plenty of light for me though, waving goodbye, i loaded a new battery and determined to resolve my confusion.

Back in the water and now two logperch in my view, both the same size but one more intricately marked. Then another smaller one joined the two. It was hard to hold on and Logperch, especially Conasauga, can be pretty nervous, especially when you are thrashing for balance and attempting to be camera steady. I shot a few pics but decided to go for video and finally got the opportunity to push the lens, set supermacro, up to within inches of him. The results though are jarring due to the torrent and a slight motion sickness occurs upon reviewing. Perhaps i can slow mo it down and do a bit of editing. In my experience there is not a lot of difference in the appearance of a Mobile vs a Conasauga / Jenkensi. The Mobile's often sport a subtle reddish band in the dorsal. Their side markings are a lot more bold, fat, distinct, uniform. The Jenkinsi do not have the redness in the dorsal, it being clear. The side patterns more intricate, more refined, fine lined, the thinnest marks even being delicate. I also noted yesterday a very subtle green irridescence quality to their lower sides, something i believe Pat spoke of a few years back.

CR-ConaBlur.JPG

It's not a good picture but it's the best i got yesterday!

I am heading back Wednesday, a second group of Hebrew summer campers will be looking at what lives below the surface. Maybe i can try again to capture Conasauga Loggie video.

Edited by Casper, 19 July 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#2 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Great report. Love to see the young ones exploring nature and snorkeling is a great way to do it.

Usil

#3 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Awesome pictures but needs more crayfish :biggrin:

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Can you post a photo or pdf of your signs so we can see all the maps, text, etc?
I can think of some places in NC where Fish Watching signage would be appropriate.

#5 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Very cool, thanks for posting that!

#6 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Great report and photos, Casper. Good job with the outreach and signage. The Conasauga Logperch stuff is interesting. Good luck finding some more.

Edited by IsaacSzabo, 19 July 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

I'm glad that the Conasauga Fish Picture board looks to be holding up, not being used for target practice or some such. Your trips sounded great!

#8 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Awesome work Casper!

#9 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

Great outreach. I really love seeing and hearing about young folks getting excited about our native fishes. Looks like you had a lot of fun in spite of the heat. Superb looking sign too.

#10 Guest_FSsnorkeler_*

Guest_FSsnorkeler_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

Outstanding post, Casper. You are becoming a great ambassador for freshwater species.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Outstanding post, Casper. You are becoming a great ambassador for freshwater species.

With all due respect, the snorkelmeister is an officially recognized NANFA Fellow (see attached section of our constitution) with years of experience as an ambassador... he is not 'becoming' he has arrived and is an example to us all.

The Constitution of the North American Native Fishes Association
ARTICLE III--Membership
Section 4. In addition to the title of Member which confers upon the holder full rights and privileges of the Association, the Board of Directors shall be empowered to designate Members as Fellows of the Association, such honorary title to be conferred upon those who, in the opinion of the Board, are meritorious of this high distinction by virtue of furthering the purposes of the Association.

http://www.nanfa.org...stitution.shtml
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

Awesome work Casper.

#13 Guest_Markart_*

Guest_Markart_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

What a wonderful and fascinating read Casper, many thanks. If I ever make it to the US, I shall hunt you down as a guide!

#14 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

In response to a few comments...

CFI-Cray.JPG

Here is a nice ditch cricket for you NJ David... courtesy of CFI and used on the front of the sign. I have no idea what species, but these Conasauga crayfish are beautifully marked.

ConasaugaSignFront.jpg

ConasaugaSign-Back.jpg

Here are higher rez images of the front and back of the signs as i designed them. You should be able to download and zoom in for full legability Gerald. I may be working on a couple more fishy site signs soon. The Citico and a canoe launch on West Chick. They take a lot of time to do properly.

No vandalism yet Bruce, i am pleased to say. On an additional positive note the South Chick sign my son and i did over 6 years ago as his eagle scout project has held up well and even been submerged several times... flooding. Someone scratched at the River Redhorse a few months ago though marring it somewhat. Several NANFA members and the organization contributed to the project's expense, they should be pleased to hear this.

Michael... FSsnorkeler is Jim Herrig... the fella that created this snorkeling program!

Markart... maybe you can get over here one day. We treat the Brits pretty well considering July 4 and all that.
:)

zAdamah.JPG

Here was my latest group... a bunch of young folks on a 2 week summer camp adventure. This weekend i am headed to the Citico and "He who is without comb" will be coming along. A slight detour between Boone and Memphis.

#15 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

The sign is AWESOME ! Even better than the one on the Chick. (No offense intended. That one is great too.)

Stand aside, Johnny AppleSeed, make way for Casper FishSign !!!

#16 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

Back to the Conasauga on Saturday, August 4. About 20 Atlanta folks with the Georgia Forest Watch, several professional speakers among them. Recent rains had dropped the water temp a bit and some of the folks, even with wetsuits, were cold during the overcast morning. By lunch the water had warmed and even seemed to clear a bit. The standard fish made their appearances including one tattooed Conasauga Logperch. The only fish in distinct color, Holiday Darters. A River Cooter was captured early and presented at the intro for the event. A turtle leech set between 2 of my fingers and the itch is still with me. I am not a fan of attached leechs.

Bryce made the drive down and after assisting in packing everyone up, him and i headed downstream several miles, cameras at ready. Oddly it was more murky here, perhaps the clear water still moving down out of the mountains was well upstream, slowly flushing the turbidity out. Nonetheless we set ourselves into an active spot and were soon observing several Logperch gathered below a log jam. We took turns postioning ourselves, ankles hooked up over the trunk to steady ourselves in the sweeping flow. Shadow bass lurked behind deep in the log's shadows while various shiners rode high in the water column. Here Alabama, Tricolors, Blacktails and Blues still had a few males sporting colors and tubercules. I can always add a few species at this lower site, different from the snorkeling hole, including the addition of Riffle Minnows and Blackbanded Darters. Just downstream of the jam i found 3 Blackbandeds parading up and down the length of an embedded log. Each were unique, one being very dark and with pronounced markings, another more typical of the standard coloration and marked with a distinct blemish on his back and a third one, very large but well on the lighter side. We chased for good photos for 2 or 3 hours but the low light and murky conditions did not yield many acceptable photos, but we sure had fun trying! A fine spot.

Bryce&Amanda.JPG

Bryce and our Conasauga Lifeguard Amanda.

HogSucker2.JPG

A murky colored Hogsucker. Always a favorite fish, rooting like a wild hog.

LogPair2.JPG

LogPair3.JPG

A pair of photos of a pair of Loggies... Note the difference in their vertical bands. One is bold and with secondary bands. The other Logperch has thinner "trimary" bands, yet also has a hint of red in the dorsal. Probably both Mobile Loggies but visually challenging in the desire to identify.

Longear.JPG

A nice Longear, hit with a flash.

RedLightedBanded.JPG

One of the Blackbanded bathed in Bryce's focusing light.

Headed back on the 18th with folks from Keeping It Wild! Ye ha!

Edited by Casper, 07 August 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#17 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Casper was right, the water was very turbid relative to where we were earlier in the day, but it was a good day in the river it just wasn't the best day for photography. Here are my captures.
c_callistiaM.jpg
Alabama shiner - male, not bad color for August
c_callistiaF.jpg
Alabama shiner - female
hogsucker.jpg
Hogsucker (it is fun to say) - feeding
p_nigrofasciata1.jpg
Blackbanded darter
mlp1.jpg
Mobile logperch - on the prowl
mlp2.jpg
Mobile logperch - flipping
mlp3.jpg
Mobile logperch - still flipping stones

The Conasauga is a special place and my photos don't do it justice. You should really try to get there.
Bryce

#18 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

Bryce.JPG

Bryce chasing Stonies...

#19 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

mothra.jpg
Mothra, waiting on Godzilla
bd1.jpg
Bronze darter, a handsome fish
bd2.jpg
Bronze darter, probably the most common darter in this part of the Conasauga
bd3.jpg
Bronze darter, a real prize. He's in a bed of Podostemum.
bd4.jpg
Stare down with a bronzie
hd1.jpg
Holiday darter, described in 1991
hd2.jpg
Holiday darter, made possible by Casper the darter wrangler
hd3.jpg
Two for one
hd4.jpg
Holiday darter face
sr1.jpg
Stonerollers
sr2.jpg
Stoneroller hovering
sr3.jpg
Stone rollers on a date
sr4.jpg
stonerollers sharing a meal

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

Nice sharp photos Bryce... very well done...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users