shipping dace/shiners

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Is it to hot to ship fish this time of year? I wanted to order some rainbow shiners or find someone who has some southern redbelly dace or saffrons available that I can pay to have shipped in august.

Edited by exasperatus2002, 25 July 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, it's certainly too hot to ship out of the South in the near future. To and from Quebec, maybe.

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

Shippers sometimes put cold packs in the box with the fish (similar in concept to the time released hot packs I frequently add to boxes of fish in the winter). I've got like five of the cold gel packs in my freezer right now from fish orders I've received recently. They're similar to ice packs you'd put in with a lunch inside a cooler, but seem more mass produced (some aren't even individually labelled) and filled with gel. Here is a hyperlink to the shipping supplies section of aquabid.com so you can check it out and see what's available: http://www.aquabid.c...on.cgi?shipping

Edited by EricaWieser, 25 July 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Yes - with chilled gel-packs wrapped in paper and a thick-walled styro box you can ship in hot weather. DONT skimp on the water volume. I'd suggest at least a quart of water - the more the better for thermal stability. Each extra pound (pint) of water only adds a buck or two to the shipping cost.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users