NANFA Rookie Hello and Rhode Island Invitation

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CharlesA_*

Guest_CharlesA_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hello NANFA. I joined last November and definitely should’ve said hello earlier. I have corresponded with NANFA Midwest and went to a NANFA trip last month in Tennessee with Casper and others. That is an amazing place for fish.

Back here, I have a great fish summer gig going on. Tuesdays through Fridays, I seine Sakonnet Beach in Middletown. Then, at the beach, for the second summer, I have opened up a small aquarium (eight saltwater, three freshwater tanks up to 50-gallons) This is with the Norman Bird Sanctuary Summer Camp. The campers help seine and keep the tanks going.

Tropicals strays came early this year, so I am sitting on about 30 Northern puffers, 20 Northern kingfish, 4 permit, and a crevalle jack. I throw dozens of kingfish back in. Anyone want some? We are just getting starting and have one more month of near daily seining.

I am trying to learn about freshwater fish, that is why I joined NANFA. I have a RI collectors permit and a blogspot- “2012 Fish Big Year.”

So an invitation if anyone wants to come down and visit, go seining, snorkeling, offshore, etc - this is New England tropical stray paradise here, hope to hear from you.

CharlesA
Newport,RI

DSCF3071.JPG DSCF3072.JPG Northern puffer.jpg Crevalle jack.jpg Permit jack.jpg Northern kingfish.JPG Striped searobin.jpg

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Welcome to the Forum. I suspected that tropical erratics would arrive earlier and in greater numbers in New England this year.

#3 Guest_mummichog_*

Guest_mummichog_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hi Charles,

Rick Rego here, not far from you (Swansea, MA). Please email me so we can get out and do some collecting! fundulus@comcast.net

#4 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Welcome to the forum. Those are some interesting fishes. The sea robin is cool. I snorkeled with one in FL a few years ago. It was really cool getting it to 'walk' across my hand. It seems like they would be neat in the aquarium.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users