Greenside Darters in Susquehanna Watershed?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

I was just kicking around and came upon an assessment of the fish of PA, and in it was the info that Greensides had been introduced into the Susquehanna watershed, were widespread and the population was booming. Has anyone collected any, and if you don't mind telling where? I'm planning a weekend Feb or March out to the western end of the state looking for Darters, but the Susquehanna is a day trip for me. I'd like to head out this fall and collect a few. Any info is greatly appreciated!

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

Yes, they are widespread and often quite abundant. If you search the forum you should find several collection reports for SE PA that note where, when, how, etc. Spring is not the greatest time to be collecting fish in the Mid-Atlantic, especially if you are looking for darters that are generally found in larger streams.

#3 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Yes, they are widespread and often quite abundant. If you search the forum you should find several collection reports for SE PA that note where, when, how, etc. Spring is not the greatest time to be collecting fish in the Mid-Atlantic, especially if you are looking for darters that are generally found in larger streams.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look. Why isn't spring a good time to collect? I'd think that it would be the best time since I'm looking to spawn and raise some.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

Posted Image

#5 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Aha, high water could certainly make things interesting! It looks like I definitely need to schedule that day trip! I found a report out by Oxford which is an area I'm somewhat familiar with so I have to get out there in the next few weeks. Thanks again!

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

In winter when the big rivers are running high you can often find big-river fish species in the lower reaches of smaller tribs that are wadeable & seineable. Look for sites on creeks that are within a 1/2 mile from the bigger river confluence.

#7 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

In winter when the big rivers are running high you can often find big-river fish species in the lower reaches of smaller tribs that are wadeable & seineable. Look for sites on creeks that are within a 1/2 mile from the bigger river confluence.

Thanks for the tip!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users