Artificial bait for longear sunfish?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Khai Wan_*

Guest_Khai Wan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Just wondering, anyone knows of any good artificial bait for hooking longear sunfish?

#2 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

Why artificial. Worms work best.

Usil

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

I was fishing for salmon recently on a charter boat on a freshwater lake and the person who owned the boat used only shiny pieces of metal. With the aid of those metal lures and a fish finder, we caught enough salmon that day to feed everyone in the 11 person family a big fish fry later :) We also got a rainbow trout and a northern pike (delicious!). If you'd asked me before that day I would have said that worms and bacon were the best baits but now that I've seen them in action I'm really impressed with the artificial baits, too. Unfortunately I'm a breeder, not a catcher, so all I know is that they work, not which ones work best for which species. Keep searching though! I hope someone has the info you need. Artificial lures are reusable, don't transfer disease, and they work just as well if not better than live bait.

Edited by EricaWieser, 17 August 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#4 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

Gulp waxies is what I got what I think is my only 2 longears I've ever gotten (1 confirmed plus maybe one other on the same trip), put those on a custom jigs and spins diamond jig and you'll have a bait thats less than 1cm long, you can get a lot of different stuff on that.

#5 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

I was fishing for salmon recently on a charter boat on a freshwater lake and the person who owned the boat used only shiny pieces of metal. With the aid of those metal lures and a fish finder, we caught enough salmon that day to feed everyone in the 11 person family a big fish fry later :) We also got a rainbow trout and a northern pike (delicious!). If you'd asked me before that day I would have said that worms and bacon were the best baits but now that I've seen them in action I'm really impressed with the artificial baits, too. Unfortunately I'm a breeder, not a catcher, so all I know is that they work, not which ones work best for which species. Keep searching though! I hope someone has the info you need. Artificial lures are reusable, don't transfer disease, and they work just as well if not better than live bait.

Erica, I concur that shiny metal spoons can be effective... for large, piscivorous species. But if you've ever gone Bluegill fishing, you know you could occasionally catch one on a silver spoon since the little guys are so curious, but compare that to the stringerfull you'd have if you'd used nightcrawlers, wax worms, or even hot dog pieces! I assume that Longears are similar (correct me if I'm wrong).

#6 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

I like catching panfish on a fly rod. Small poppers or a cricket or ant dry fly.

Edited by exasperatus2002, 18 August 2012 - 07:32 AM.

#7 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

I used to catch them all the time on spinners, crappie jigs, beetle spins, or tiny crank baits. They were very aggressive in the small rivers and creeks I used to fish.

#8 Guest_Khai Wan_*

Guest_Khai Wan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

Thanks, everyone. I finally be able to catch longear with hook #12 and the recommended gulp waxies by panfisherteen. Will try out tiny crank baits in future.

#9 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

I need to get more but I've been tearing them up with a micro-shad dart tipped with a tiny curly tail (cut off the grub body).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users